In this article, a theoretical analysis and design are presented for a Microstrip Patch Antenna (MPA) embedded with an inclined rectangular slot supported by a C-shaped Defected Ground Structure (DGS). Dual-band characteristics are achieved at 2.4 GHz and 2.6 GHz with a small frequency ratio of 1.08, which makes the proposed antenna useable for Wi-Fi and WiMAX applications. A theoretical analysis is also proposed for the designed antenna structure using modal expansion cavity model and equivalent circuit approach. The analyzed antenna design is fabricated, and it is found that measured results are in good match with theoretical and simulated results.
1. Lo, Y. T., D. Solomon, and W. F. Richards, "Theory and experiment on microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 27, 137-145, 1979. doi:10.1109/TAP.1979.1142057
2. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, USA, 2003.
3. Ansari, J. A., A. Mishra, N. P. Yadav, P. Singh, and B. R. Vishvakarma, "Analysis of W-slot loaded patch antenna for dualband operation," Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 66, 32-38, 2012. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2011.04.011
4. Wang, E., J. Zheng, and Y. Liu, "A novel dual-band patch antenna for WLAN communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 6, 93-102, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERC09010704
5. Kan, J. H. K. and W. S. T. Rowe, "Dual frequency F-shaped shorted patch antenna," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 48, 1811-1812, 2006. doi:10.1002/mop.21770
7. Ansari, J. A., P. Singh, S. K. Dubey, R. U. Khan, and B. R. Vishvakarma, "H-shaped stacked patch antenna for dual band operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 5, 291-302, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08031203
8. Karmakar, N. C. and M. E. Bialkowski, "Circularly polarized aperture-coupled circular microstrip patch antennas for L-band applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 47, 933-940, 1999. doi:10.1109/8.774159
9. Gupta, S. K., A. Sharma, B. K. Kanaujia, S. Rudra, R. R. Mishra, and G. P. Pandey, "Orthogonal slit cut stacked circular patch microstrip antenna for multiband operations," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 55, 873-882, 2013. doi:10.1002/mop.27416
11. Kumar, S., B. K. Kanaujia, M. K. Khandelwal, and A. K. Gautam, "Stacked dual-band circularly polarized microstrip antenna with small frequency ratio," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, 1933-1937, 2014. doi:10.1002/mop.28482
12. Kumar, S., B. K. Kanaujia, M. K. Khandelwal, and A. K. Gautam, "Single-feed circularly polarized stacked patch antenna with small-frequency ratio for dual-band wireless applications," Int. J. Microw. Wireless Technol., Vol. 8, 1207-1213, 2016. doi:10.1017/S1759078715000720
13. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2001.
14. Wolff, E. A., Antenna Analysis, Artech House, Dedham, MA, 1988.
15. Kanaujia, B. K., M. K. Khandelwal, S. Dwari, S. Kumar, and A. K. Gautam, "Analysis and design of compact high gain microstrip patch antenna with defected ground structure for wireless applications," Wireless Per. Commun., Vol. 91, 661-678, 2016. doi:10.1007/s11277-016-3486-3
16. Gupta, K. C., R. Garg, I. Bahl, and P. Bhartia, Microstrip Lines and Slotlines, Artech House, Norwood, NJ, 1996.
17. Caloz, C., H. Okabe, T. Iwai, and T. Itoh, "A simple and accurate model for microstrip structures with slotted ground plane," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 14, 133-135, 2004. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2004.828725
18. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, 2005.
19. Derneryed, A. G. and A. G. Lind, "Extended analysis of rectangular microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 27, 846-849, 1979. doi:10.1109/TAP.1979.1142206