In this paper, the effects of magnetization patterns on the performance of series hybrid excitation synchronous machines (SHESMs) are investigated. SHESMs have three magnetic field sources: armature winding currents, permanent magnets and auxiliary winding current. To initiate the investigation, the magnetic field distributions produced by these three sources are obtained. Using the magnetic field distributions, the machine is analyzed under no-load and on-load conditions. Furthermore, the operational indices, such as inductance, torque, and unbalance magnetic force, are calculated. Various magnetization patterns are considered to investigate their influences on the performance of the machine.
1. Knypnski, L., L. Nowak, and A. Demenko, "Optimization of the synchronous motor with hybrid permanent magnet excitation system," The International Journal for Computation and Mathematics in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol. 34, No. 2, 448-455, 2015. doi:10.1108/COMPEL-08-2014-0216
2. Amara, Y., J. Lucidarme, M. Gabsi, M. Lécrivain, A. H. Ben Ahmed, and A. D. Akémakou, "A new topology of hybrid excitation synchronous machine," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Application, Vol. 37, No. 5, 1273-1281, Sep./Oct. 2001. doi:10.1109/28.952502
3. Amara, Y., S. Hlioui, R. Belfkira, G. Barakat, and M. Gabsi, "Comparison of open circuit flux control capability of a series double excitation machine and a parallel double excitation machine," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 60, No. 9, Nov. 2011.
4. Wang, Y. and Z. Deng, "Hybrid excitation topologies and control strategies of stator permanent magnet machines for DC power system," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 59, No. 12, 2012.
5. Geng, W., Z. Zhang, K. Jiang, and Y. Yan, "A new parallel hybrid excitation machine: Permanent-magnet/variable-reluctance machine with bidirectional field-regulating capability," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 62, No. 3, Mar. 2015. doi:10.1109/TIE.2014.2348936
6. Kamiev, K., J. Pyrhönen, J. Nerg, V. Zaboin, and J. Tapia, "Modeling and testing of an armature-reaction-compensated (PM) synchronous generator," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 28, No. 4, Dec. 2013. doi:10.1109/TEC.2013.2286836
7. Zhu, X., M. Cheng, W. Hua, J. Zhang, and W. Zhao, "Design and analysis of a new hybrid excited doubly salient machine capable of field control," Conference. Rec. IEEE IAS Annu. Meeting, Vol. 5, 2382-2389, Tampa, FL, USA, 2006.
8. Hua, W., M. Cheng, and G. Zhang, "A novel hybrid excitation flux switching motor for hybrid vehicles," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 45, No. 10, 4728-4731, Oct. 2009. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2009.2022497
9. Owen, R. L., Z. Q. Zhu, and G. W. Jewell, "Hybrid-excited flux-switching permanent-magnet machines with iron flux bridges," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 46, No. 6, 1726-1729, Jun. 2010. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2010.2040591
10. Zhang, Z., S. Ma, J. Dai, and Y. Yan, "Investigation of hybrid excitation synchronous machines with axial auxiliary airgaps and nonuniform airgaps," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Application, Vol. 50, No. 3, May/Jun. 2014.
11. Luo, X. and T. A. Lipo, "A synchronous/permanent magnet hybrid AC machine," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 15, No. 2, 203-210, Jun. 2000. doi:10.1109/60.867001
12. Kim, S. I., J. Cho, S. Park, T. Park, and S. Lim, "Characteristics comparison of a conventional and modified spoke-type ferrite magnet motor for traction drives of low-speed electric vehicles," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Application, Vol. 49, No. 6, 2516-2523, 2013. doi:10.1109/TIA.2013.2264651
13. Kamiev, K., J. Nerg, J. Pyrhönen, V. Zaboin, and J. Tapia, "Feasibility of an armature-reaction-compensated permanent-magnet synchronous generator in island operation," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronic, Vol. 61, No. 9, Sep. 2014. doi:10.1109/TIE.2013.2289871
14. Bali, H., Y. Amara, G. Barakat, R. Ibtiouen, and M. Gabsi, "Analytical modeling of open circuit magnetic field in wound field and series double excitation synchronous machines," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 46, No. 10, Oct. 2010.
15. Rahideh, A., M.Mardaneh, and T. Korakianitis, "Analytical 2-D calculations of torque, inductance, and Back-EMF for brushless slotless machines with surface inset magnets," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 49, No. 8, 1-12, Aug. 2013. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2013.2242087
16. Teymoori, S., A. Rahideh, H. Moayed-Jahromi, and M. Mardaneh, "2-D analytical magnetic field prediction for consequent-pole permanent magnet synchronous machines," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 52, No. 6, 1-14, Jun. 2016. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2016.2521834