Antenna miniaturization, which is a requirement of modern wireless communication systems, is usually concomitant with the reduction of impedance bandwidth. On the other hand, small antennas should also possess stable radiation patterns across a broad frequency band, such as in UWB systems. In this paper, we propose a UWB antenna structure with a novel feeding system composed of an open cavity resonator. It has a wide relative bandwidth (of about 120%) particularly at the lower frequency limits. The variation of radiation pattern across its operating bandwidth is also negligible. The proposed antenna with the novel feed system is smaller and has a wider frequency bandwidth than other available UWB antennas in the literature. Furthermore, another antenna is proposed, which has a feeding system composed of a surface integrated resonator cavity, fabricated on a two-layer microstrip structure. It has achieved better miniaturization and bandwidth, albeit somewhat lower gain. Three prototype models of the proposed antennas are fabricated and measured, of which the frequency response is in excellent agreement with computer simulation results.
1. Skrivervik, A. K., J.-F. Zurcher, O. Staub, and J. R. Mosig, "PCS antenna design: The challenge of miniaturization," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 43, 12-27, Aug. 2001. doi:10.1109/74.951556
2. Wei, L.-A., "Applications of ultra wideband,", M.S., The University of Texas at Arlington, Dec. 2006.
3. Kula, J. S., D. Psychoudakis, W.-J. Liao, C.-C. Chen, J. L. Volakis, and J. W. Halloran, "Patch-antenna miniaturization using recently available ceramic substrates," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Mag., Vol. 48, No. 6, Dec. 2006. doi:10.1109/MAP.2006.323335
4. Chen, D. and C.-H. Cheng, "A novel compact ultra-wideband (UWB) wide slot antenna with via holes," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 94, 343-349, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09062306
5. Schaubert, D. H., D. M. Pozar, and A. Adrian, "Effect of microstrip antenna substrate thickness and permittivity: Comparison of theories and experiment," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 37, 677-682, Jun. 1989. doi:10.1109/8.29353
6. Pues, H. F. and A. R. Van De Capelle, "An impedance-matching technique for increasing the bandwidth of microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 37, No. 11, 1345-1354, Nov. 1989. doi:10.1109/8.43553
7. Kumar, G. and K. C. Gupta, "Broad-band microstrip antennas using additional resonators gap-coupled to the radiating edges," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 32, 1375-1379, Dec. 1984. doi:10.1109/TAP.1984.1143264
8. Wi, S.-H., J.-M. Kim, T.-H. Yoo, H.-J. Lee, J.-Y. Park, J.-G. Yook, and H.-K. Park, "Bow-tie-shaped meander slot antenna for 5 GHz application," Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 2, 456-459, Jun. 2002.
9. Li, Y., W. Hong, G. Hua, J. Chen, K. Wu, and T. J. Cui, "Simulation and experiment on SIW slot array antennas," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 14, No. 9, 137-139, Sep. 2004.
10. Hong, W., B. Liu, G. Q. Luo, Q. H. Lai, J. F. Xu, Z. C. Hao, F. F. He, and X. X. Yin, "Integrated microwave and millimeter wave antennas based on SIW and HMSIW technology," IEEE Microw. Antennas and Propagation, 69-72, 2007.
11. Zhang, X.-C., Z.-Y. Yu, and J. Xu, "Novel band-pass substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) filter based on complementary split ring resonators (CSRRS)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 72, 39-46, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07030201
12. Sotoodeh, Z., B. Biglarbegian, and F. H. Kashani, "A novel bandpass waveguide filter structure on SIW technology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 2, 141-148, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL08010204
13. Xu, H., J. Lei, C. Cui, and L. Yang, "UWB dual-polarized Vivaldi antenna with high gain," 2012 International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT), Vol. 3, No. 1, 5-8, May 2012.
14. Chiu, C. Y., H. Wong, and C. H. Chan, "Study of small wideband folded-patch-feed antennas," IET Microw. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 1, No. 2, 501-505, 2007. doi:10.1049/iet-map:20050255
15. Naser-Moghadasi, M., A. Dadgarpour, F. Jolani, and B. S. Virdee, "Ultra wideband patch antenna with a novel folded-patch technique," IET Microw. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 3, No. 1, 164-170, 2009. doi:10.1049/iet-map:20080013
16. Oraizi, H. and S. Hedayati, "Miniaturized UWB monopole microstrip antenna design by the combination of Giusepe Peano and Sierpinski carpet fractals," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, No. 1, 67-70, Jan. 28, 2011.
17. Madhav, B. T. P., V. G. K. M. Pisipati, H. Khan, and P. V. Datta Prasad, "Shorting plate planar inverted folded antenna on LC substrate for bluetooth applications," Journal of Engineering Science and Technology Review, 42-45, Aug. 2012. doi:10.25103/jestr.052.08
18. Guha, D. and Y. M. M. Antar, Microstrip and Printed Antennas, Ch. 10, John Wiley & Sons Ltd., 2011.
19. Abbas, S. M., Y. Ranga, A. K. Verma, and K. P. Esselle, "A simple ultra wideband printed monopole antenna with high band rejection and wide radiation patterns," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 9, 4816-4820, Sept. 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2330585
20. Gautam, A. K., S. Yadav, and B. K. Kanaujia, "A CPW-fed compact UWB microstrip antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 151-154, Jan. 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2244055