This paper describes a method of designing Frequency Selective Absorber (FSA) which has a transmission band between two neighboring absorption bands. The proposed FSA is composed of a lossy layer on the top and a lossless layer at the bottom. The transmission characteristic is produced by the parallel LC resonators embedded in the lossy layer while the absorption ability is realized by the lumped resistors constructed in the lossy layer. An equivalent circuit model (ECM) is developed and discussed for a better understanding of this method. An FSA prototype is fabricated and measured for demonstration. Experiments show that the proposed FSA has a transmission band at the center frequency of 8.14 GHz, which agrees well with simulation. Both transmission and refection coefficients from 4.5 GHz to 7.5 GHz and from 9.1 GHz to 11.3 GHz are under -10 dB, which indicate good absorption in these frequency bands. In addition, the performance of the proposed FSA demonstrates a low sensitivity with respect to the polarization of incident EM waves and is maintained well when the incident angles range from 0˚ to 45˚.
1. Ghosh, S. and K. Srivastava, "Broadband polarization-insensitive tunable frequency selective surface for wideband shielding," IEEE Trans. Electrom. Compat., Vol. 60, 166-172, 2018. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2017.2706359
2. Orr, R., et al., "Circular polarization frequency selective surface operating in Ku and Ka band," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, 5194-5197, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2477519
3. Vallecchi, A., R. J. Langley, and A. G. Schuchinsky, "Metasurfaces with interleaved conductors: Phenomenology and applications to frequency selective and high impedance surfaces," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, 599-608, 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2511781
4. Baskey, H. B. and M. J. Akhtar, "Design of flexible hybrid nanocomposite structure based on frequency selective surface for wideband radar cross section reduction," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 65, 2019-2029, 2017. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2017.2655045
5. Zheng, J. and S. J. Fang, "A new method for designing low RCS patch antenna using frequency selective surface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 58, 125-131, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERL15122702
6. Joozdani, M. Z., M. K. Amirhosseini, and A. Abdolali, "Wideband radar cross-section reduction of patch array antenna with miniaturized hexagonal loop frequency selective surface," Electronics Letters, Vol. 52, 767-768, 2016. doi:10.1049/el.2016.0336
7. Munk, B. A., Frequency Selective Surfaces: Theory and Design, Wiley, New York, NY, USA, 2000. doi:10.1002/0471723770
8. Yi, B., L. Yang, and P. Liu, "Design of miniaturized and ultrathin absorptive/transmissive radome based on interdigital square loops," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 62, 117-123, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERL16080201
9. Munk, B. A., Metamaterials: Critique and Alternatives, Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2009.
10. Chen, Q. and L. Liu, "Absorptive frequency selective surface using parallel LC resonance," Electronics Letters, Vol. 52, No. 6, 418-419, 2016. doi:10.1049/el.2015.3885
11. Li, A., J. H. Fu, Z. F.Wang, W. Chen, L. Bo, and C. He, "An absorptive/transmissive radome based on metamaterial," IEEE Int. Conf. on Electronic Information and Communication Technology, 596-598, Harbin, China, August 2016.
12. Chen, Q., et al., "Design of absorptive/transmissive frequency-selective surface based on parallel resonance," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, 4897-4902, 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2722875
13. Yu, D., et al., "Active absorptive frequency selective surface," Electronics Letters, Vol. 53, 1087-1088, 2017. doi:10.1049/el.2017.1168
14. Yi, B., et al., "Analysis of absorptive and transmissive radome," IEEE International Symposium on Microwave, Antenna, Propagation and EMC Technologies, 616-619, 2015.
16. Omar, A., Z. Shen, and H. Huang, "Absorptive frequency-selective reflection and transmission structures," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, 6173-6178, 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2754463
17. Han, Y. and W. Che, "Switchable low-profile broadband frequency-selective rasorber/absorber based on slot arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, 6998-7008, 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2759964
18. Huang, H. and Z. Shen, "Absorptive frequency-selective transmission structure with square loop hybrid resonator," IEEE Antennas Wireless. Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 3212-3215, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2769093
19. Abadi, S. M. A. M. H., J. H. Booske, and N. Behdad, "Exploiting mechanical flexure as a means of tuning the responses of large-scale periodic structures," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, 933-943, 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2513418
20. Jiao, J., et al., "Tunable complementary frequency selective surfaces based on cross-elements," Guangxue Jingmi Gongcheng/Optics & Precision Engineering, Vol. 22, 1430-1437, 2014.