A frequency-domain-based electromagnetic model of the lightning protection system of buildings is presented in this paper. Numerical model can accurately take into account all conductors of the lightning protection system, i.e. air-termination system, down-conductor system and earth-termination system. Using the presented electromagnetic model, attenuation effects of a grid-like spatial shield - sometimes used in lightning protection of buildings - will be analyzed for both the electric field and the magnetic field caused by a lightning strike. Three-dimensional distributions of the fields inside the shield are provided in the paper.
"Analysis of Attenuation Effect of Grid-Like Spatial Shields Used in Lightning Protection of Buildings," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 69, 137-149, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM18022006
1. Sowa, A., "Lightning overvoltages in wires within the buildings," International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 99-102, 1991, DOI: 10.1109/ISEMC.1991.148192.
2. Sowa, A., "Surge current distribution in building during a direct lightning stroke," International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 12-16, 1991, DOI: 10.1109/ISEMC.1991.148193.
3. Li, L. and V. A. Rakov, "Distribution of currents in the lightning protective system of a residential building --- Part II: Numerical modeling," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 23, No. 4, 2447-2455, 2008. doi:10.1109/TPWRD.2008.923075
4. Hedge, V. and V. Shivanand, "On the characteristics of lightning currents in the steel reinforced concrete building due to a lightning strike," Asia-Pacific Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility (APEMC), 865-868, 2012, DOI: 10.1109/APEMC.2012.6237924.
5. Markowska, R., "Lightning current distributions in LPS of a building with a radio base station on the roof," 2009 International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility Kyoto, 845-847, 2009.
6. Miyazaki, S. and M. Ishii, "Role of steel frames of buildings for mitigation of lightning-induced magnetic fields," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 50, No. 2, 333-339, 2008. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2008.922787
7. Ishii, M., K. Miyabe, and A. Tatematsu, "Induced voltages and currents on electrical wirings in building directly hit by lightning," Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 85, 2-6, 2012. doi:10.1016/j.epsr.2011.07.001
8. Chen, J., B. Zhou, F. Zhao, and S. Qiu, "Finite-difference time-domain analysis of the electromagnetic environment in a reinforced concrete structure when struck by lightning," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 52, No. 4, 914-920, 2010. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2010.2043437
9. Tatematsu, A., F. Rachidi, and M. Rubinstein, "Calculation of electromagnetic fields inside a building with layered reinforcing bar struck by lightning using the FDTD method," International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 386-389, 2014.
10. Liu, R., Y. Wang, Z. Zhao, and Y. Zhang, "Magnetic field distribution inside metallic gridlike buildings struck by lightning based on finite element method," International Conference on Lightning Protection, 1712-1715, 2014.
11. Gomez, P., "Frequency domain model for transient analysis of lightning protection systems of buildings," Heliyon, Vol. 2, 1-19, 2016.
12. Lovric, D. and S. Vujevic, "Fixed-image-method-based transient electromagnetic model of grounding system in horizontally stratified multilayer medium," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 44, 1-12, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERM15072403
13. Vujevic, S. and D. Lovric, "On continuous numerical Fourier transform for transient analysis of lightning current related phenomena," Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 119, 364-369, 2015. doi:10.1016/j.epsr.2014.10.020
14. Vujevic, S. and D. Lovric, "Inverse continuous numerical Fourier transform for transient analysis of electromagnetic phenomena," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 57, No. 5, 1149-1154, 2015. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2015.2417654
15. Chu, E. and A. George, Inside the FFT Black Box, Serial and Parallel Fast Fourier Transform Algorithms, CRC Press, Boca Raton, 2000.
16. Vujevic, S. and P. Sarajcev, "Potential distribution for a harmonic current point source in horizontally stratified multilayer medium," COMPEL --- The International Journal for Computation and Mathematics in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol. 27, No. 3, 624-637, 2008. doi:10.1108/03321640810861070
17. Sarajcev, P., S. Vujevic, and D. Lovric, "Time-harmonic current distribution on conductor grid in horizontally stratified multilayer medium," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 31, 67-87, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERB11040807
18. Vujevic, S., P. Sarajcev, and D. Lovric, "Time-harmonic analysis of grounding system in horizontally stratified multilayer medium," Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 83, No. 1, 28-34, 2012. doi:10.1016/j.epsr.2011.09.008
19. Beerends, R. J., H. G. Ter Morche, J. C. van den Berg, and E. M. van de Vrie, Fourier and Laplace Transforms, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2003. doi:10.1017/CBO9780511806834
21. Silvester, P. P. and R. L. Ferrari, Finite Elements for Electrical Engineers, 3rd Ed., Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1996. doi:10.1017/CBO9781139170611
22. Sarajcev, P., S. Vujevic, and D. Lovric, "Computing the electromagnetic field of the system of arbitrarily positioned conductors in horizontally stratified multilayer medium," International Journal of Numerical Modelling --- Electronic Networks Devices and Fields, Vol. 28, No. 2, 121-137, 2015. doi:10.1002/jnm.1991
23. Paul, C. R., Introduction to Electromagnetic Compatibility, Wiley India Private Limited, 2010.
24. Heidler, F., "Analytical lightning current function for LEMP-calculation," International Conference on Lightning Protection, 63-66, 1985.