A low phase noise reflection oscillator using a hexagonal substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) resonator is proposed in this paper. The hexagonal SIW resonator, which can combine flexibility of a rectangular cavity and performance of a circular cavity, is convenient for oscillator design. Since any of the six sides of a hexagonal resonator can be utilized for coupling, the oscillator configuration is flexible and adaptable. A simplified generalised phase noise condition and its optimization approach are proposed for the low-phase noise oscillator design. Furthermore, a 10.4 GHz oscillator prototype was designed, fabricated and measured to validate the proposed optimization approach. The measured results show that this oscillator provides 11.3 dBm output power and possesses low phase noise of -127.2 dBc/Hz at 1 MHz offset from 10.4 GHz carrier frequency, which is suitable for low-cost application in microwave and millimeter-wave band.
1. Bozzi, M., A. Georgiadis, and K. Wu, "Review of substrate-integrated waveguide circuits and antennas," IET Microwaves Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 5, No. 8, 909-920, 2011. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2010.0463
6. Zhuang, C., et al., "Design of half mode substrate integrated waveguide Gunn oscillator," IEEE Transactions on Components Packaging & Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 1, No. 11, 1790-1794, 2011. doi:10.1109/TCPMT.2011.2161581
7. Adhikari, S., A. Ghiotto, and K. Wu, "Low-cost frequency modulated ferrite loaded SIW oscillator for high-power microwave transmitter," IEEE Microwave Symposium Digest, 1-3, 2014.
8. Dancila, D., et al., "Low phase noise oscillator at 60 GHz stabilized by a substrate integrated cavity resonator in LTCC," IEEE Microwave & Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 24, No. 12, 887-889, 2014. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2014.2361645
9. Chen, Z., W. Hong, and J. X. Chen, "High-Q planar active resonator based on substrate integrated waveguide technique," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 10, 575-577, 2012. doi:10.1049/el.2012.0508
10. Liu, Y., X. H. Tang, and T. Wu, "SIW-based low phase-noise millimeter-wave planar dual-port voltage-controlled oscillator," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 8-9, 1059-1069, 2012. doi:10.1080/09205071.2012.710375
11. Li, Z., Y. Liu, and J. Bao, "A phase noise reduction method in microwave oscillator using a high-Q transmission line loaded with active SIW resonator," Microwave & Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 1, 221-225, 2016. doi:10.1002/mop.29536
12. Duong, T. V., et al., "An alternative technique to minimize the phase noise of X-band oscillators using improved group delay SIW filters," IEEE Microwave & Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 27, No. 2, 153-155, 2017. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2017.2648120
13. Huang, W., J. Zhou, and P. Chen, "An X-band low phase noise free-running oscillator using substrate integrated waveguide dual-mode bandpass filter with circular cavity," IEEE Microwave & Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 25, No. 1, 40-42, 2015. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2014.2363690
14. Wu, C. T. M., et al., "Active complementary coupled resonator for low phase noise X-band oscillator," IEEE European Frequency and Time Forum, 356-359, 2015.
15. Lin, J., et al., "Design of low phase noise substrate integrated waveguide oscillator based on complexquality factor (Qsc)," IEEE International Conference on Ubiquitous Wireless Broadband, 1-3, 2016.
16. Chen, Z., et al., "Low-phase noise oscillator utilising high-Q active resonator based on substrate integrated waveguide technique," IET Microwaves Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 8, No. 3, 137-144, 2013. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2013.0380
17. Stornelli, V., L. Pantoli, and G. Leuzzi, "Active resonator for low-phase-noise tunable oscillators," Microwave & Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 5, 1032-1035, 2016. doi:10.1002/mop.29725
18. Nick, M. and A. Mortazawi, "Low phase-noise planar oscillators based on low-noise active resonators," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory & Techniques, Vol. 58, No. 5, 1133-1139, 2010. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2010.2045572
19. Hamidkhani, M. and F. Mohajeri, "A low phase noise microwave oscillator based on a high Q SIW cavity CSRR band-pass filter," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 30, No. 16, 2077-2087, 2016. doi:10.1080/09205071.2016.1231088
20. Park, W. Y. and S. Lim, "A low phase-noise microwave oscillator using a substrate integrated waveguide resonator based on complementary split ring resonator," IEEE Microwave Conference Proceedings, 371-374, 2011.
21. Xu, Z. Q., et al., "Substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) filter with hexagonal resonator," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 11-12, 1521-1527, 2012. doi:10.1080/09205071.2012.703951
22. Li, Z., Y. Liu, and J. Bao, "A K-band push–push oscillator employing differential transmission line loaded with SIW cavity operated in TM110 mode," Microwave & Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 5, 1217-1221, 2016. doi:10.1002/mop.29774
23. He, F. F., et al., "A low phase-noise VCO using an electronically tunable substrate integrated waveguide resonator," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory & Techniques, Vol. 58, No. 12, 3452-3458, 2010.
24. Georgiadis, A., et al., "Push-push oscillator design based on a substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) resonator," IEEE European Microwave Conference, 2009, EuMC 2009, 1231-1234, 2009.
25. Dong, Y. and T. Itoh, "A dual-band oscillator with reconfigurable cavity-backed complementary split-ring resonator," IEEE Microwave Symposium Digest, 1-3, 2012.
26. Wu, C. T. M., et al., "A C-band tunable oscillator based on complementary coupled resonator using substrate integrated waveguide cavity," IEEE Microwave Conference, 715-718, 2014.
27. Zhang, R., J. Zhou, Z. Yu, and B. Yang, "A low phase noise feedback oscillator based on SIW bandpass response power divider," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 28, No. 2, 153-155, Feb. 2018. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2018.2791569