In this paper dual segment half Cylindrical Dielectric Resonator Antennas (DS h-CDRA), deploying homogenous elements, are designed and analyzed for wide-band applications. At first a single element is analyzed followed by two element DS h-CDRA. Further, Radar Cross Section (RCS) analysis is performed for different angles and frequencies. The proposed antennas are excited from the center of the ground plane using a coaxial probe feed, which results in TM01δ as a mode of excitation in cylindrical DRA. The input impedance and radiation characteristics are determined and compared with measured results, which shows good agreement. The proposed DS h-CDRA provides measured wide bandwidth (≈ 98%) from 5.0 GHz to 11.5 GHz with gain of 4.85 dBi, and it is found constant throughout the operational band (with omnidirectional radiation pattern). The designed antennas performance has also been compared with two element h-CDRA and found even better for the same volume and effective radiation area. The RCS analysis has been performed for monostatic and bistatic mode at different frequencies and angles. The proposed antenna has been found suitable for 5.0 GHz WLAN and WiMAX wireless application.
2. Long, A., A. Stuart, W. Mc. Mark, and L. C. Shen, "The resonant cylindrical dielectric cavity antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 31, 406-412, 1983. doi:10.1109/TAP.1983.1143080
3. Kajfezand, D. and P. Guillon, Dielectric Resonator, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1986.
4. Saedand, M. and R. Yadla, "Microstrip-fed low profile and compact dielectric resonator antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 56, 151-162, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05041401
5. Kishk, A. A., A.W. Glisson, and X. Zhang, "Analysis of a dielectric resonator antenna for wideband applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, 469-474, 2002. doi:10.1109/TAP.2002.1003382
6. Guha, D. and Y. M. M. Antar, "Four-element cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna for wideband monopole-like radiation," IEEE Transaction on Antennas Propagation, Vol. 54, 2657-2662, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.880766
7. Petosa, A., N. Simons, R. Siushansian, A. Ittipiboon, and M. Cuhaci, "Design and analysis of multisegment dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Transaction on Antennas Propagation, Vol. 48, 738-742, 2000. doi:10.1109/8.855492
8. Luk, K. M. and S. M. Shum, "Stacked annular ring dielectric resonator antenna excited by axisymmetric coaxial probe," IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 43, 889-892, 1995. doi:10.1109/8.402212
9. Guha, D., B. Gupta, C. Kumar, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Segmented hemispherical DRA: New geometry characterized and investigated in multi-element composite forms for wideband antenna applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, 1605-1610, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2180345
10. Gangwar, R. K., P. Ranjan, and A. Aigal, "Wideband four element two segment triangular dielectric resonator antenna with monopole-like radiation," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 9, No. 2, 411-418, 2017. doi:10.1017/S1759078715001622
11. Mongia, R. K., "Half-split dielectric resonator placed on a metallic plane for antenna applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 25, 462-464, 1989. doi:10.1049/el:19890318
12. Mongia, R. K., A. Ittipiboon, and Y. M. M. Antar, "A Half-split cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna using slot-coupling," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Latters, Vol. 3, 38-39, 1993. doi:10.1109/75.196034
13. Kishk, A. A. and A. W. Glisson, "Bandwidth enhancement for split cylindrical dielectric resonator antennas ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 33, 97-118, 2001. doi:10.2528/PIER00122803
14. Matthew, T. T. K. and D. R. Murch, "Compact circular sector and annular sector dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 47, 837-842, 1999.
15. Shum, S. M. and K. M. Luk, "Characteristics of dielectric ring resonator antenna with an air gap," Electronics Letters, Vol. 30, 277-278, 1994. doi:10.1049/el:19940202
16. Junker, G. P., A. A. Kishk, A. W. Glisson, and D. Kajfez, "Effect of airgap on cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna operating in TM01δ mode," Electronics Letters, Vol. 30, 97-98, 1994. doi:10.1049/el:19940114
17. Kishk, A. A., A. W. Glisson, G. P. Junker, and D. Kajfez, "Effect of air-gap on cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna operating in TM01δ mode," Electronics Letters, Vol. 30, 97-98, 1994. doi:10.1049/el:19940114
18. Mongia, R. K., A. Ittipiboon, P. Bhartia, and M. Cuhaci, "Electric monopole antenna using a dielectric ring resonator," Electronics Letters, Vol. 29, 1530-1531, 1993. doi:10.1049/el:19931019
19. Ittipiboon, A., A. Petosa, and S. Thirakoune, "Bandwidth enhancement of a monopole using dielectric antenna resonator loading," Proc. ANTEM Conf., 387-390, Montreal, Canada, 2002.
20. Lapierre, M., Y. M. M. Antar, A. Ittipiboon, and A. Petosa, "Ultra wideband monopole/dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Microw. Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 15, 7-9, 2005. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2004.840952
21. Gangwar, R. K., S. P. Singh, and D. Kumar, "Four element wideband rectangular dielectric resonator antenna terminated in bio-medium," Wireless Personal Communications: An International Journal, Vol. 73, 663-677, 2013. doi:10.1007/s11277-013-1209-6
22. Gangwar, R. K., P. Ranjan, and A. Aigal, "Four element triangular dielectric resonator antenna for wireless application," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 9, No. 1, 133-119, 2017. doi:10.1017/S1759078715000860
23. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory and Design, 3rd Ed., Wiley, New York, NY, USA, 2007.
24. Knott, E. F., J. F. Shaeffer, and M. T. Tuley, Radar Cross Section, 2nd Ed., SciTech Publishing, Inc., NC, 2004.
25. Joozdani, M. Z., M. K. Amirhosseini, and A. Abdolali, "Wideband radar cross-section reduction of patch array antenna with miniaturised hexagonal loop frequency selective surface," Electron. Lett., Vol. 52, No. 9, 767-768, 2016. doi:10.1049/el.2016.0336
26. Baskey, H. B., E. Johari, and M. J. Akhtar, "Metamaterial structure integrated with a dielectric absorber for wideband reduction of antennas radar cross section," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 59, No. 4, 1060-1069, 2017. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2016.2639060
27. Zhao, Y., "In-band RCS reduction of waveguide slot array using metasurface bar," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 2, 943-947, 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2633951
28. Ranjan, P. and R. K. Gangwar, "Probe feed half split cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna for wideband application," International Journal of Electronics and Communications-Elsevier, Vol. 69, 1709-1714, 2015. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2015.08.006