A dual-polarized broadband single-layer reflectarray antenna based on square spiral element is presented in this paper. Two designs with similar square spiral structures but different construction processes and transition patterns are investigated and compared. The comparison results show that the design utilizing the sweeping method of varying the length of the first stub of one-arm square spiral is more suitable for the building the reflectarray. Several 441-element reflectarray antennas fed by horn with different offset angles are also simulated and compared to show the broadband characteristic. A reflectarray with offset angle of 15 degrees is then fabricated and tested. The measured results show good radiation performances, and the 1-dB gain bandwidth of 34.7% is obtained. The measured gain is 27.1 dB at the center frequency of 15 GHz, which is equivalent to 45.6% aperture effifficiency.
"Design of a Dual-Polarized Broadband Single-Layer Reflectarray Based on Square Spiral Element," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 72, 23-30, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM18070202
1. Huang, J. and J. A. Encinar, Reflectarray Antennas, John Wiley and Sons Inc, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2007. doi:10.1002/9780470178775
2. Shaker, J., M. R. Chaharmir, and J. Ethier, Reflectarray Antennas: Analysis, Design, Fabrication, and Measurement, Artech House, Norwood, MA, USA, 2013.
3. Bialkowski, M. E. and K. H. Sayidmarie, "Investigations into phase characteristics of a single-layer reflectarray employing patch or ring elements of variable size," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 11, 3366-3372, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2005470
4. Abdelrahman, A. H., A. Z. Elsherbeni, and F. Yang, "High-gain and broadband transmitarray antenna using triple-layer spiral dipole elements," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 1288-1291, 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2334663
5. Qin, P. Y., Y. J. Guo, and A. R. Weily, "Broadband reflectarray antenna using subwavelength elements based on double square meander-line rings," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 1, 378-383, 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2502978
6. Liu, Y., H. Wang, F. Xue, and X. Dong, "A new single-layer reflectarray using circular patch with semicircular ring slots," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 66, 105-111, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERL17011806
7. Malfajani, R. S. and Z. Atlasbaf, "Design and implementation of a broadband single layer circularly polarized reflectarray antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 973-976, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2213570
8. Guo, L., P. K. Tan, and T. H. Chio, "A simple method to realize polarization diversity in broadband reflectarrays using single-layered rectangular patch elements," Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Antennas and Propagation USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 2161-2162, 2015.
9. Ortiz-Fuentes, J. A., J. Silva-Montero, J. I. Martinez-Lopez, J. Rodriguez-Cuevas, and A. E. Martynyuk, "Dual-frequency reflectarray based on split ring slots," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, 99, 2016.
10. Han, C., Y. Zhang, and Q. Yang, "A broadband reflectarray antenna using triple gapped rings with attached phase-delay lines," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 5, 2713-2717, 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2679493
11. Phelan, H. R., "Spiraphase reflectarray for multitarget radar," Microwave Journal, Vol. 20, 67, 1977.
12. Derafshi, I., N. Komjani, and M. Mohammadirad, "A single-layer broadband reflectarray antenna by using quasi-spiral phase delay line," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 84-87, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2355496
13. Wang, Q., Z. H. Shao, Y. J. Cheng, and P. K. Li, "Broadband low-cost reflectarray using modified double-square loop loaded by spiral stubs," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 9, 4224-4229, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2448797
14. Xue, F., H. J. Wang, M. Yi, G. Liu, and X. C. Dong, "Design of a broadband single-layer linearly polarized reflectarray using four-arm spiral elements," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 696-699, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2600374
15. Wei, H., M. Lin, and Y. Xiang, "Compact square spiral printed antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 50, No. 3, 135-136, 2014. doi:10.1049/el.2013.3784
16. Liu, Y., H. Wang, F., Xue, and X. Dong, "A novel single-layer reflectarray antenna using square spiral element," Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Antennas and Propagation USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 95-96, 2017.
17. Hasani, H., M. Kamyab, and A. Mirkamali, "Low cross-polarization reflectarray antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 5, 1752-1756, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2123071
18. Morabito, A. F., "Synthesis of maximum-efficiency beam arrays via convex programming and compressive sensing," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2404-2407, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2721218