This paper presents a dual band circular microstrip patch antenna with an elliptical slot for future 5G mobile communication networks. The antenna has resonating frequencies of 28 GHz and 45 GHz, with bandwidths of 1.3 GHz and 1 GHz, respectively. Efficiency of the antenna is 85.6% at 28 GHz and 95.3% at 45 GHz. The return loss at 28 GHz is -40 dB, with maximum gain of 7.6 dB while at 45 GHz return loss is -14 dB with maximum gain of 7.21 dB. The antenna is designed on a Rogers RT5880 (lossy) substrate with dielectric constant of 2.2 and loss tangent (tanδ) of 0.0013. The antenna has compact size of 6×6×0.578 mm3. Array is used to achieve 12 dB gain, required for mobile communication. The proposed array has resonance frequencies of 28 GHz, 34 GHz and 45 GHz with maximum gain of 13.5 dB and radiation efficiency of 98.75%. Centre series fed technique is used for the excitation of array. SAR value of array antenna obtained at 28 GHz is 1.19 W/kg, at 34 GHz is 1.16 W/kg, and at 44.2 GHz is 1.2 W/kg. CST Microwave Studio, a 3D simulating tool, is used for the antenna design and calculation of the antenna parameters along with the SAR analysis.
Muhammad Irfan Khattak,
"Elliptical Slot Circular Patch Antenna Array with Dual Band Behaviour for Future 5G Mobile Communication Networks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 89, 133-147, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERC18101401
1. Hakimi, S. and S. K. A. Rahim, "Millimeter-wave microstrip bent line grid array antenna for 5G mobile communication networks," 2014 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), 622-624, IEEE, November 2014.
2. Ojaroudiparchin, N., M. Shen, and G. F. Pedersen, "A 28 GHz FR-4 compatible phased array antenna for 5G mobile phone applications," 2015 International Symposium Antennas and Propagation (ISAP), 1-4, IEEE, November 2015.
3. Jandi, Y., F. Gharnati, and A. O. Said, "Design of a compact dual bands patch antenna for 5G applications," 2017 International Conference on Wireless Technologies, Embedded and Intelligent Systems (WITS), 1-4, IEEE, April 2017.
4. Reddy, N. K., A. Hazra, and V. Sukhadeve, "A compact elliptical microstrip patch antenna for future 5G mobile wireless communication," IEEE Transactions on Engineering and Applied Sciences, Vol. 1, No. 1, 1-4, 2017.
5. Loharia, N., S. B. Rana, and N. Kumar, "5G future communication: Requirements and challenges," 47 Mid-term Symposium on Modern Information and Communication Technologies for Digital India (MICTDI 2016), Chandigarh, India, 2016.
6. Kumar, A. and M. Gupta, "A review on activities of fifth generation mobile communication system," Alexandria Engineering Journal, Vol. 57, No. 2, 1125-1135, June 2018. doi:10.1016/j.aej.2017.01.043
7. Chen, Z. and Y. P. Zhang, "FR4 PCB grid array antenna for millimeter-wave 5G mobile communications," 2013 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Workshop Series on RF and Wireless Technologies for Biomedical and Healthcare Applications (IMWS-BIO), 1-3, IEEE, December 2013.
8. Cao, Y., K. S. Chin, W. Che, W. Yang, and E. S. Li, "A compact 38 GHz multibeam antenna array with multifolded butler matrix for 5G applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2996-2999, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2757045
9. Agyapong, P. K., M. Iwamura, D. Staehle, W. Kiess, and A. Benjebbour, "Design considerations for a 5G network architecture," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 52, No. 11, 65-75, 2014. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2014.6957145
10. Fettweis, G. and S. Alamouti, "5G: Personal mobile internet beyond what cellular did to telephony," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 52, No. 2, 140-145, 2014. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2014.6736754
11. Panwar, N., S. Sharma, and A. K. Singh, "A survey on 5G: The next generation of mobile communication," Physical Communication, Vol. 18, 64-84, 2016. doi:10.1016/j.phycom.2015.10.006
12. Gohil, A., H. Modi, and S. K. Patel, "5G technology of mobile communication: A survey," 2013 International Conference on Intelligent Systems and Signal Processing (ISSP), 288-292, IEEE, March 2013. doi:10.1109/ISSP.2013.6526920
13. Yu, L. C. and M. R. Kamarudin, "Investigation of patch phase array antenna orientation at 28 GHz for 5G applications," Procedia Computer Science, Vol. 86, 47-50, 2016. doi:10.1016/j.procs.2016.05.012
14. Ishfaq, M. K., T. A. Rahman, Y. Yamada, and K. Sakakibara, "8×8 phased series fed patch antenna array at 28GHz for 5G mobile base station antennas," 2017 IEEE-APS Topical Conference on Antennas and Propagation in Wireless Communications (APWC), 160-162, IEEE, September 2017. doi:10.1109/APWC.2017.8062268
15. Roy, P., R. K. Vishwakarma, A. Jain, and R. Singh, "Multiband millimeter wave antenna array for 5G communication," International Conference on Emerging Trends in Electrical Electronics and Sustainable Energy Systems (ICETEESES), 102-105, IEEE, March 2016. doi:10.1109/ICETEESES.2016.7581361
16. Ojaroudiparchin, N., M. Shen, and G. F. Pedersen, "Beam-steerable microstrip-fed bow-tie antenna array for fifth generation cellular communications," 2016 10th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-5, IEEE, April 2016.
17. Kumar, A. and P. Kapoor, "Design and performance evaluation of a dual-band antenna for the 5G mobile communication," IEEE International Conference on Recent Trends in Electronics, Information and Communication Technology (RTEICT), 2034-2036, IEEE, May 2016.
18. Thors, B., D. Colombi, Z. Ying, T. Bolin, and C. Törnevik, "Exposure to RF EMF from array antennas in 5G mobile communication equipment," IEEE Access, Vol. 4, 7469-7478, 2016. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2016.2601145
19. Orakwue, S. I., R. Ngah, and T. A. Rahman, "A two dimensional beam scanning array antenna for 5G wireless communications," 2016 IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference Workshops (WCNCW), 433-436, IEEE, April 2016.
20. Wu, X., Y. Zhang, C. X. Wang, G. Goussetis, and M. M. Alwakeel, "28 GHz indoor channel measurements and modelling in laboratory environment using directional antennas," 2015 9th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-5, IEEE, May 2015.
21. Aliakbari, H., A. Abdipour, A. Costanzo, D. Masotti, R. Mirzavand, and P. Mousavi, "ANN-based design of a versatile millimetre-wave slotted patch multi-antenna configuration for 5G scenarios," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 11, No. 9, 1288-1295, 2017. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2016.0987
22. Saini, J. and S. K. Agarwal, "Design a single band microstrip patch antenna at 60 GHz millimeter wave for 5G application," 2017 International Conference on Computer, Communications and Electronics (Comptelix), 227-230, IEEE, July 2017.
23. Kaur, N. and S. Malhotra, "A review on significance of design parameters of microstrip patch antennas," 2016 5th International Conference on Wireless Networks and Embedded Systems (WECON), 1-6, IEEE, October 2016.
24. Goudos, S. K., A. Tsiflikiotis, D. Babas, K. Siakavara, C. Kalialakis, and G. K. Karagiannidis, "Evolutionary design of a dual band E-shaped patch antenna for 5G mobile communications," 2017 6th International Conference on Modern Circuits and Systems Technologies (MOCAST), 1-4, IEEE, May 2017.
25. Prasad, P. C. and N. Chattoraj, "Design of compact Ku band microstrip antenna for satellite communication," 2013 International Conference on Communications and Signal Processing (ICCSP), 196-200, IEEE, April 2013.
26. Paul, L. C., M. S. Akhter, M. A. Haque, M. R. Islam, M. F. Islam, and M. M. Rahman, "Design and analysis of four elements E, H and combined EH shaped microstrip patch array antenna for wireless applications," 2017 3rd International Conference on Electrical Information and Communication Technology (EICT), 1-6, IEEE, December 2017.
27. Chen, Y., R. Jian, and Y. Zhao, "Design of millimeter wave antenna based on fast swarm intelligence algorithm," Journal of Electronics and Information, Vol. 1, 2017.
28. Yang, Y. and X. Zhu, "A wideband reconfigurable antenna with 360° beam-steering for 802.11 ac WLAN applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 2017.
29. Noh, Y., Y. Shin, M. J. Lee, and S. Pyo, "Perpendicularly-fed microstrip antenna with crossed ground slot for GPS application," 2017 14th International Conference on Electrical Engineering/Electronics, Computer, Telecommunications and Information Technology (ECTICON), 463-464, IEEE, June 2017. doi:10.1109/ECTICon.2017.8096274
30. Sidhu, E., V. Singh, H. Bhatia, and P. Kuchroo, "Slotted rook shaped novel wide-band microstrip patch antenna for radar altimeter, IMT, WiMAX and C-band satellite downlink applications," 2016 International Conference on Global Trends in Signal Processing, Information Computing and Communication (ICGTSPICC), 334-337, IEEE, December 2016.
31. Ali, M. M. and M. T. Islam, "Rectangular with half circle cut-out microstrip patch antenna for C-band applications," 2017 4th International Conference on Advances in Electrical Engineering (ICAEE), Dhaka, Bangladesh, 2017.
32. Chauhan, B., S. Vijay, and S. C. Gupta, "Millimeter-wave mobile communications microstrip antenna for 5G - A future antenna," International Journal of Computer Applications, Vol. 99, No. 19, 15-18, 2014. doi:10.5120/17481-8303
33. Rabbani, M. S. and H. Ghafouri-Shiraz, "Evaluation of gain enhancement in large microstrip antenna arrays for mm-wave applications," IET Colloquium on Millimetre-Wave and Terahertz Engineering & Technology 2017, 2017. doi:10.1049/ic.2017.0001
34. Ahmad, W. and W. T. Khan, "Small form factor dual band (28/38 GHz) PIFA antenna for 5G applications," 2017 IEEE MTT-S International Conference on Microwaves for Intelligent Mobility (ICMIM), 21-24, IEEE, March 2017. doi:10.1109/ICMIM.2017.7918846
35. Ali, M. M. M. and A. R. Sebak, "Dual band (28/38 GHz) CPW slot directive antenna for future 5G cellular applications," 2016 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (APSURSI), 399-400, IEEE, June 2016. doi:10.1109/APS.2016.7695908
36. Thomas, T., K. Veeraswamy, and G. Charishma, "MM wave MIMO antenna system for UE of 5G mobile communication: Design," 2015 Annual IEEE India Conference (INDICON), 1-5, IEEE, December 2015.
37. Sam, C. M. and M. Mokayef, "A wide band slotted microstrip patch antenna for future 5G," EPH - International Journal of Science And Engineering (ISSN: 2454-2016), Vol. 2, No. 7, 19-23, 2016.
38. Rahman, A., M. Y. Ng, A. U. Ahmed, T. Alam, M. J. Singh, and M. T. Islam, "A compact 5G antenna printed on manganese zinc ferrite substrate material," IEICE Electronics Express, Vol. 13, No. 11, 20160377-20160377, 2016. doi:10.1587/elex.13.20160377
39. Saini, J. and S. K. Agarwal, "T and L slotted patch antenna for future mobile and wireless communication," 2017 8th International Conference on Computing, Communication and Networking Technologies (ICCCNT), 1-5, IEEE, July 2017.
40. Singh, M., A. Basu, and S. K. Koul, "Circular patch antenna with quarter wave transformer feed for wireless communication," 2006 Annual IEEE India Conference, 1-5, IEEE, September 2006.
41. Christ, A., T. Samaras, A. Klingenbock, and N. Kuster, "Characterization of the electromagnetic near-field absorption in layered biological tissue in the frequency range from 30 MHz to 6,000 MHz," Physics in Medicine and Biology, Vol. 51, No. 19, 4951-4965, 2006. doi:10.1088/0031-9155/51/19/014
42. Hu, Z. H., M. Gallo, Q. Bai, Y. I. Nechayev, P. S. Hall, and M. Bozzettit, "Measurements and simulations for on-body antenna design and propagation studies," The Second European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 2007, EuCAP 2007, 1-7, 2007.
43. Khattak, M. I., R. M. Edwards, M. Shafi, S. Ahmed, R. Shaikh, and F. Khan, "Wet environmental conditions affecting narrow band on-body communication channel for WBANs," Adhoc and Sensor Wireless Networks, Vol. 40, No. 3-4, 297-312, 16p, 2018.