Having the imaging ability of the area in front of flight direction, forward-looking synthetic aperture radar (SAR) has become a hot topic in areas of SAR research. Nevertheless, constrained by limited azimuth aperture length,the imaging of forward-looking SAR suffers from poor azimuth resolution. Aiming at this problem, an enhanced forward-looking SAR imaging algorithm is proposed in this paper. This algorithm takes both super-resolving ability and computational burden into account. Firstly, an imaging framework is proposed to decrease the computational burden. Secondly, an iterative regularization implementation of compressive sensing (CS) is proposed to improve azimuth resolution. Finally, imaging experiments based on simulated data and Ku-band complex valued image data from the MiniSAR system demonstrate the effectiveness of the proposed algorithm.
"An Enhanced Forward-Looking SAR Imaging Algorithm Based on Compressive Sensing," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 78, 69-81, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERM18110504
1. Witte, F., "Forward looking radar,", US Patent 5182562, 1993.
2. Sutor, T., F. Witte, and A. Moreira, "A new sector imaging radar for enhanced vision-SIREV," Proceedings of SPIE, 39-47, July 1999.
3. Curlander, J. C. and R. N. McDonough, Synthetic Aperture Radar: Systems and Signal Processing, John Wiley & Sons, 1991.
4. Wang, J. and Z. L. Zong, "Forward-looking SAR imaging algorithm via compressive sensing," Radar Science and Technology, Vol. 10, No. 1, 27-31, 2012.
5. Xu, G., Q. Q. Chen, Y. X. Hou, Y. C. Li, and M. D. Xing, "Super-resolution imaging of forward-looking scan SAR," Journal of Xidian University, Vol. 39, No. 5, 101-108, 2012.
6. Soldovieri, F., G. Gennarelli, I. Catapano, D. Liao, and D. Dogaru, "Forward-looking radar imaging: A comparison of two data processing strategies," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations & Remote Sensing, Vol. 10, No. 2, 562-571, 2017.
7. Chen, Q. and R. L. Yang, "Research of chirp scaling imaging algorithm for air-borne forward-looking SAR," Journal of Electronics & Information Technology, Vol. 30, No. 1, 228-232, 2008.
8. Ren, X. Z. and R. L. Yang, "Study on three-dimensional imaging algorithm for airborne forward-looking SAR," Journal of Electronics & Information Technology, Vol. 32, No. 6, 1361-1365, 2010.
9. Ren, X. Z., J. T. Sun, and R. L. Yang, "A new three-dimensional imaging algorithm for airborne forward-looking SAR," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 8, No. 1, 153-157, 2011.
10. Ren, X. Z., L. L. Tan, and R. L. Yang, "Research of three-dimensional imaging processing for airborne forward-looking SAR," Proceedings of IET International Radar Conference, 1-4, April 2009.
11. Pang, B., D. H. Dai, S. Q. Xing, and X. S. Wang, "Development and perspective of forward-looking imaging technique," Systems Engineering and Electronics, Vol. 35, No. 11, 40-47, 2013.
12. Moreira, A., J. Mittermayer, and R. Scheiber, "Extended chirp scaling algorithm for air- and spaceborne SAR data processing in stripmap and ScanSAR imaging modes," IEEE Trans. on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 34, No. 5, 1123-1136, 1996.
13. Pang, B., S. Q. Xing, D. H. Dai, Y. Z. Li, and X. S. Wang, "Research on forward-looking synthetic aperture radar imaging algorithm of high velocity platform," Proceedings of IET International Radar Conference, 1-6, April 2013.
14. Pang, B., X. S. Wang, D. H. Dai, S. Q. Xing, and Y. Z. Li, "Imaging algorithm of high velocity forward-looking SAR based on digital beam sharpening," Chinese Journal of Radio Science, Vol. 29, No. 1, 1-8, 2014.
15. Yuan, Y., S. Chen, S. N. Zhang, and H. C. Zhao, "A chirp scaling algorithm for forward-looking linear-array SAR with constant acceleration," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 15, No. 1, 88-91, 2018.
16. Mei, H. W., Z. Q. Meng, M. Q. Liu, Y. C. Li, Y. H. Quan, S. Q. Zhu, and M. D. Xing, "Thorough understanding property of bistatic forward-looking high-speed maneuvering platform SAR," IEEE Trans. on Aerospace & Electronic Systems, Vol. 53, No. 4, 1826-1845, 2017.
17. Pu, W., J. J. Wu, Y. L. Huang, W. C. Li, Z. C. Sun, J. Y. Yang, and H. G. Yang, "Motion errors and compensation for bistatic forward-looking SAR with cubic-order processing," IEEE Trans. on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 54, No. 12, 6940-6957, 2016.
18. Meng, Z. Q., Y. C. Li, M. D. Xing, and Z. Bao, "Property analysis of bistatic forward-looking SAR with arbitrary geometry," Systems Engineering and Electronics, Vol. 27, No. 1, 111-127, 2016.
19. Xia, J., X. F. Lu, and W. D. Chen, "Multi-channel deconvolution for forward-looking phase array radar imaging," Remote Sensing, Vol. 9, No. 7, 703-728, 2017.
20. Zhang, Y., Y. C. Zhang, Y. L. Huang, and Y. L. Yang, "A sparse Bayesian approach for forward-looking superresolution radar imaging," Sensors, Vol. 17, No. 6, 1353-1368, 2017.
21. Zhang, L., Z. J. Qiao, M. D. Xing, Y. C. Li, and Z. Bao, "High-resolution ISAR imaging with sparse stepped-frequency waveforms," IEEE Trans. on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 49, No. 11, 4630-4651, 2011.
22. Budillon, A., A. Evangelista, and G. Schirinzi, "Three-dimensional SAR focusing from multipass signals using compressive sampling," IEEE Trans. on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 49, No. 1, 488-499, 2011.
23. Baraniuk, R. and P. Steeghs, "Compressive radar imaging," Proceedings of IEEE Radar Conference, 128-133, April 2007.
24. Austi, C. D., E. Ertin, and R. L. Moses, "Sparse signal methods for 3-D radar imaging," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, Vol. 5, No. 3, 408-423, 2011.
25. Varshney, K. R., M. Cetin, J. W. Fisher, and A. S. Willsky, "Sparse signal representation in structured dictionaries with application to synthetic aperture radar," IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, Vol. 56, No. 8, 3548-3561, 2008.
26. Gurbuz, A. C., J. H. McClellan, and W. R. Scott, "Compressive sensing for GPR imaging," Proceedings of 41st Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems Computers, 2223-2227, November 4–7, 2007.
27. Gurbuz, A. C., J. H. McClellan, and W. R. Scott, "Compressive sensing for subsurface imaging using ground penetrating radar," Signal Processing, Vol. 89, No. 10, 1959-1972, 2009.
28. Zhu, X. X. and R. Bamler, "Tomographic SAR inversion by l1-norm regularization - The compressive sensing approach," IEEE Trans. on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 48, No. 10, 3839-3846, 2010.
29. Patel, V. M., G. R. Easley, D. M. Healy, and R. Chellappa, "Compressed synthetic aperture radar," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, Vol. 4, No. 2, 244-254, 2010.
30. Cumming, I. G. and F. H. Wong, Digital Processing of Synthetic Aperture Radar Data: Algorithms and Implementation, Artech House, 2005.
31. Cetin, M. and W. C. Karl, "Feature-enhanced synthetic aperture radar image formation based on nonquadratic regularization," IEEE Trans. on Image Processing, Vol. 10, No. 4, 623-631, 2001.
32. Potter, L. C., E. Ertin, J. T. Parker, and M. Cetin, "Sparsity and compressed sensing in radar imaging," Proc. of IEEE, Vol. 98, No. 6, 1006-1020, 2010.
33. Samadi, S., M. Cetin, and M. A. Masnadi-Shirazi, "Sparse representation-based synthetic aperture radar imaging," IET Radar Sonar & Navigation, Vol. 5, No. 2, 182-193, 2011.
34. Xing, S., D. Dai, Y. Li, and X. Wang, "Polarimetric SAR tomography using L2,1 mixed norm sparse reconstruction method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 130, 105-130, 2012.
35. Magnus, J. R. and H. Neudecker, Matrix Differential Calculus with Applications in Statistics and Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, 2007.
36. Sun, D., S. Q. Xing, Y. Z. Li, and D. H. Dai, "Adaptive parameter selection of SAR sparse imaging model," Journal of Remote Sensing, Vol. 21, No. 4, 579-587, 2017.
37. Austin, C. D., R. L. Moses, J. N. Ash, and E. Ertin, "On the relation between sparse reconstruction and parameter estimation with model order selection," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing , Vol. 4, No. 3, 560-570, 2010.
38. Zhang, Y., G. X. Zhou, J. Jin, Q. B. Zhao, X. Y. Wang, and A. Cichocki, "Aggregation of sparse linear discriminant analyses for event-related potential classification in brain-computer interface," International Journal of Neural Systems, Vol. 24, No. 1, 1450003, 2014.
39. Pang, B., D. H. Dai, S. Q. Xing, Y. Z. Li, and X. S. Wang, "Imaging enhancement of stepped frequency radar using the sparse reconstruction technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 140, 63-89, 2013.
40. Yang, J. G., J. Thompson, X. T. Huang, T. Jin, and Z. M. Zhou, "Random-frequency SAR imaging based on compressed sensing," IEEE Trans. on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 51, No. 2, 983-994, 2013.
41. Cetin, M., W. C. Karl, and D. A. Castanon, "Feature enhancement and ATR performance using nonquadratic optimization-based SAR imaging," IEEE Trans. on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 39, No. 4, 1375-1395, 2003.
42. Guo, B., D. Vu, L. Z. Xu, M. Xue, and J. Li, "Ground moving target indication via multichannel airborne SAR," IEEE Trans. on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 49, No. 10, 3753-3764, 2011.
43. Stoica, P., J. Li, and H. He, "Spectral analysis of non-uniformly sampled data: A new approach versus the periodogram," IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, Vol. 57, No. 3, 843-858, 2009.