In order to improve the efficiency of the quasi-optical mode converter, two methods to design mirror systems for a 170 GHz gyrotron operating in TE32,9 mode are presented in this paper. The first method is to use Katsenelenbaum-Semenov Algorithm (KSA) to design the structure of the mirror. The second method to design the mirror system depends on the phase difference on the mirrors, so we name it PD method. The mirror system consists of three mirrors, and the mirror center position and mirror size are the same for both methods. For the first method, the scalar and vector correlation coefficients obtained at the window are 99.45% and 98.12%, respectively, and the mirror system has been designed with a transmission efficiency of 97.25%. The scalar and vector correlation coefficients and mirror system transmission efficiency are 99.73%, 98.85%, and 97.67% respectively for the second method. Simulation results of the two methods are compared and analyzed, which provide a reference for the design of gyrotron quasi-optical mode converter mirror system.
"Implementation of Two Methods for Designing the Profiles of Mirrors in Quasi-Optical Mode Converter for 170 GHz
Transverse Output Gyrotron," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 80, 145-156, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERM18120303
1. Tax, D. S., et al. "Experimental results on a 1.5 MW, 110 GHz gyrotron with a smooth mirror mode converter," J. Infr. Millim. Terahertz Waves, Vol. 32, No. 3, 358-370, 2011. doi:10.1007/s10762-010-9720-2
2. Zapevalov, V. E. and M. A. Moiseev, "Influence of aftercavity interaction on gyrotron efficiency," Radiophysics and Quantum Electronics, Vol. 47, 520-527, 2004. doi:10.1023/B:RAQE.0000047243.18212.1d
3. Choi, E. M., M. A. Shapiro, J. R. Sirigiri, and R. J. Temkin, "Experimental observation of the effect of aftercavity interaction in a depressed collector gyrotron oscillator," Physics of Plasmas, Vol. 14, 093302, 2007. doi:10.1063/1.2776911
4. Jin, J., M. Thumm, G. Gantenbein, and J. Jelonnek, "A numerical synthesis method for hybrid-type high-power gyrotron launchers," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 65, No. 3, March 2017. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2016.2630060
5. Wang, W., T. Song, H. Shen, S. Deng, D. Liu, and S. Liu, "Quasi-optical mode converter for a 0.42 THz TE17,4 mode pulsed gyrotron oscillator," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 99, 1-5, 2017.
6. Jin, J., G. Gantenbein, J. Jelonnek, M. Thumm, and T. Rzesnicki, "A new method for synthesis of beam-shaping mirrors for off-axis incident Gaussian beams," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 42, No. 5, 1380-1384, May 2014. doi:10.1109/TPS.2014.2310903
7. Murphy, J. A., "Distortion of a simple Gaussian beam on reflection from off-axis ellipsoidal mirrors," International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 8, No. 9, 1165-1187, 1987. doi:10.1007/BF01010819
8. Bogdashov, A. A., et al. "Mirror synthesis for gyrotron quasi-optical mode converters," International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 16, No. 4, 735-744, 1995. doi:10.1007/BF02066633
9. Perkins, M. P. and R. J. Vernon, "Two-dimensional phase unwrapping to help characterize an electromagnetic beam for quasi-optical mode converter design," Appl. Opt., Vol. 47, No. 35, 6606-6614, 2008. doi:10.1364/AO.47.006606
10. Katsenelenbaum, B. Z. and V. V. Semenov, "Synthesis of phase correctors shaping a specified field," Radio Engineering Electronic Physics, Vol. 12, 223-231, IEEE Press, New York, NY, USA, 1967.
11. Jin, J. B., B. Piosczyk, M. Thunmm, T. Rzesnicki, and S. C. Zhang, "Quasi-optical mode converter/mirror system for a high-power coaxial cavity gyrotron," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 34, No. 4, 1508-1515, August 2006. doi:10.1109/TPS.2006.877627
12. Bogdashov, A. A., A. V. Chirkov, G. G. Denisov, D. V. Vinogradov, A. N. Kuftin, V. I. Malygin, and V. E. Zapevalov, "Mirror synthesis for gyrotron quasi-optical mode converters," International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 16, No. 4, 735-744, April 1995. doi:10.1007/BF02066633
13. Yang, X., M. K. Thumm, A. Arnold, E. Borie, G. Dammertz, et al. "Progress toward optimization of phase-correcting mirrors for a multifrequency I-MW gyrotron," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 34, No. 3, 652-658, 2006. doi:10.1109/TPS.2006.874848
14. Jin, J., et al. "Design of phase correcting mirror system for coaxial-cavity ITER gyrotron," Vacuum Electronics Conference IEEE, 2010.
15. Liu, J., et al. "Design of adapted phase correcting mirrors for gyrotrons," Vacuum Electronics Conference IEEE, 2013.
16. Liu, J., et al. "Vector method for synthesis of adapted phase-correcting mirrors for gyrotron output couplers," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 41, No. 9, 2489-2495, 2013. doi:10.1109/TPS.2013.2276915
17. Jin, J., et al. "High-efficiency quasi-optical mode converter for a 1-MW TE32,9-mode gyrotron," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 41, No. 10, 2748-2753, 2013. doi:10.1109/TPS.2013.2276108
18. Dhakad, R. K., G. S. Baghel, M. V. Kartikeyan, and M. K. Thumm, "Output system for a 170-GHz/1.5-MW continuous wave gyrotron operating in the TE28,12 mode," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 43, No. 1, 391-397, January 2015. doi:10.1109/TPS.2014.2368254
19. Jin, J., G. Gantenbein, J. Jelonnek, M. Thumm, S. Alberti, J.-P. Hogge, M. Silva, and T. Goodman, "Quasi-optical mode converter for 1MW dual frequency gyrotrons," 2017 Eighteenth International Vacuum Electronics Conference (IVEC), 1-2, 2017.