Electromagnetic (EM) vortex wave carrying orbital angular momentum (OAM) has attracted a lot of attention in radar imaging, due to its potential capability of new degree of freedom for information modulation. Most existing OAM-based radar imaging methods require abundant OAM modes to realize the azimuth resolution. Switching between the OAM modes frequently increases the burden of radar antenna and the complexity of beam steering. In this paper, a novel electromagnetic vortex synthetic aperture radar (EMV-SAR) model with equivalent squint imaging is established.The geometrical model and echo signal model are derived correspondingly. By analyzing the echo signal model, amplitude and phase modulation introduced by the OAM aect the azimuth focusing, and traditional imaging algorithms are no longer applicable. Hence, a novel image formation method based on the traditional Chirp-Scaling (CS) algorithm is proposed for the EMV-SAR. The amplitude weighting function and phase modulation function are derived accurately, and high-precision focusing processing is achieved by modied CS algorithm. Point targets simulation results validate that the image focusing performance can be improved signicantly using the proposed algorithm.
"A Novel Image Formation Method for Electromagnetic Vortex SAR with Orbital-Angular-Momentum," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 82, 129-137, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERM19011704
1. Wang, J., J. Y. Yang, I. M. Fazal, N. Ahmed, Y. Yan, H. Huang, Y. Ren, Y. Yue, S. Dolinar, and M. Tur, "Terabit free-space data transmission employing orbital angular momentum multiplexing," Nature Photonics, Vol. 6, No. 7, 488-496, 2012. doi:10.1038/nphoton.2012.138
2. Bozinovic, N., Y. Yue, Y. Ren, M. Tur, P. Kristensen, H. Huang, A. E. Willner, and S. Ramachandran, "Terabit-scale orbital angular momentum mode division multiplexing in fibers," Science, Vol. 340, No. 6140, 1545-1548, 2013. doi:10.1126/science.1237861
3. Mahmouli, F. E. and S. D. Walker, "4-Gbps uncompressed video transmission over a 60-GHz orbital angular momentum wireless channel," IEEE Wireless Communications Letters, Vol. 2, No. 2, 223-226, 2013. doi:10.1109/WCL.2013.012513.120686
4. Mohammadi, S., L. K. Daldorff, J. E. Bergman, R. L. Karlsson, B. Thidé, K. Forozesh, T. D. Carozzi, and B. Isham, "Orbital angular momentum in radio - A system study," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 3, 565-572, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2037701
5. Bai, Q., A. Tennant, and B. Allen, "Experimental circular phased array for generating OAM radio beams," Electronics Letters, Vol. 50, No. 20, 1414-1415, 2014. doi:10.1049/el.2014.2860
6. Barbuto, M., F. Trotta, F. Bilotti, and A. Toscano, "Circular polarized patch antenna generating orbital angular momentum," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 148, 23-30, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIER14050204
7. Mao, F., T. Li, Y. Shao, J. Yang, and M. Huang, "Orbital angular momentum radiation from circular patches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 61, 13-18, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERL16012604
8. Mao, F., M. Huang, T. Li, J. Zhang, and C. Yang, "Broadband generation of orbital angular momentum carrying beams in RF regimes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 160, 19-27, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIER17082302
9. Cano, E., B. Allen, Q. Bai, and A. Tennant, "Generation and detection of OAM signals for radio communications," Antennas and Propagation Conference (LAPC), 637-640, 2014.
10. Tamburini, F., E. Mari, A. Sponselli, B. Thidé, A. Bianchini, and F. Romanato, "Encoding many channels in the same frequency through radio vorticity: First experimental test," New Journal of Physics, Vol. 14, No. 3, 033001, 2011. doi:10.1088/1367-2630/14/3/033001
11. Gibson, G., J. Courtial, M. J. Padgett, M. Vasnetsov, V. Pas’ko, S. M. Barnett, and S. Franke-Arnold, "Free-space information transfer using light beams carrying orbital angular momentum," Optics Express, Vol. 12, No. 22, 5448-5456, 2004. doi:10.1364/OPEX.12.005448
12. Gatto, A., M. Tacca, P. Martelli, P. Boffi, and M. Martinelli, "Free-space orbital angular momentum division multiplexing with Bessel beams," Journal of Optics, Vol. 13, No. 6, 064018, 2011. doi:10.1088/2040-8978/13/6/064018
13. Guo, G., W. Hu, and X. Du, "Electromagnetic vortex based radar target imaging," Journal of National University of Defense Technology, Vol. 35, No. 6, 2013.
14. Liu, K., Y. Cheng, Z. Yang, H. Wang, Y. Qin, and X. Li, "Orbital-angular-momentum-based electromagnetic vortex imaging," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 711-714, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2376970
15. Liu, K., Y. Cheng, X. Li, H. Wang, Y. Qin, and Y. Jiang, "Study on the theory and method of vortex-electromagnetic-wave-based radar imaging," IET Microwaves Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 10, No. 9, 961-968, 2016. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2015.0842
16. Yuan, T., H. Wang, Y. Qin, and Y. Cheng, "Electromagnetic vortex imaging using uniform concentric circular arrays," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 1024-1027, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2490169
17. Yuan, T., Y. Cheng, H. Wang, and Y. Qin, "Beam steering for electromagnetic vortex imaging using uniform circular arrays," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 704-707, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2600404
18. Tang, B., J. Bai, and K.-Y. Guo, "Bi-target tracking based on vortex wave with orbital angular momentum," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 74, 123-129, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERC17030607
19. Thidé , B., H. Then, J. Sjöholm, K. Palmer, J. Bergman, T. Carozzi, Y. N. Istomin, N. Ibragimov, and R. Khamitova, "Utilization of photon orbital angular momentum in the low-frequency radio domain," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 99, No. 8, 087701, 2007. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.99.087701
20. Raney, R. K., H. Runge, R. Bamler, I. G. Cumming, and F. H. Wong, "Precision SAR processing using chirp scaling," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 32, No. 4, 786-799, 1994. doi:10.1109/36.298008
21. Zhang, C., D. Chen, and X. Jiang, "RCS diversity of electromagnetic wave carrying orbital angular momentum," Scientific Reports, Vol. 7, No. 1, 15412, 2017. doi:10.1038/s41598-017-15250-7