In many modern GPR systems, it is desired to detect the presence of targets in the interference which includes clutter and noise. Detection of water leaks using GPR has been aimed in this work. Pipe and soil are known as the clutter of data in this scenario. Various signal processing techniques like multivariate subspace-based algorithms are proposed to effectively suppress the clutter and increase the signal to interference ratio. Combining Independent Component Analysis (ICA) and Principal Component Analysis (PCA) as a unique algorithm has demonstrated the ability to eliminate the GPR clutter and extract the target signal.
Mohanad Abd Shehab,
Mohammed Abdulridha Sahib Al Obaidi,
"Subspace Clutter Removal Techniques in GPR Images," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 82, 139-147, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERM19032511
1. Daniels, D. J., "Ground penetrating radar," IET Radar, Sonar, Navigation and Avionics, Series 15, Vol. 1, London, UK, 2004.
2. Liu, J. X., B. Zhang, and R. B. Wu, "GPR ground bounce removal methods based on blind source separation," PIERS 2006 in Cambridge Proceedings, 256-259, USA, March 26-29, 2006.
3. Zhu, J., W. Xue, X. Rong, and Y. Yu, "A clutter suppression method based on improved principal component selection rule for ground penetrating radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 53, 29-39, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERM16102903
4. Abujarad, F. and A. Omar, "GPR data processing using the component-separation methods PCA and ICA, imagining systems and techniques," Proceedings of the 2006 IEEE International Workshop on [Imagining read Imaging], 60-64, IEEE, 2006.
5. Karlsen, B., J. Larsen, H. Sorensen, and K. B. Jakobsen, "Comparison of PCA and ICA based clutter reduction in GPR systems for anti-personal landmine detection," Proceedings of the 11th IEEE Signal Processing Workshop on Statistical Signal Processing, 2001, 146-149, IEEE, 2001.
6. Karlsen, B., H. B. Sorensen, J. Larsen, and K. B. Jakobsen, "Independent component analysis for clutter reduction in ground penetrating radar data, detection and remediation technologies for mines and minelike targets VII," International Society for Optics and Photonics, Vol. 4742, 378-390, 2002.
7. Verma, P. K., A. N. Gaikwad, D. Singh, and M. J. Nigam, "Analysis of clutter reduction techniques for through wall imaging in UWB range," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 17, 29-48, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09060903
8. Abujarad, F., G. Nadim, and A. Omar, "Clutter reduction and detection of landmine objects in ground penetrating radar data using singular value decomposition (SVD)," Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Advanced Ground Penetrating Radar, IWAGPR 2005, 37-42, IEEE, 2005. doi:10.1109/AGPR.2005.1487840
9. Cagnoli, B. and T. Ulrych, "Singular value decomposition and wavy reflections in ground-penetrating radar images of base surge deposits," Journal of Applied Geophysics, Vol. 48, No. 3, 175-182, 2001. doi:10.1016/S0926-9851(01)00089-1
10. Riaz, M. M. and A. Ghafoor, "Information theoretic criterion based clutter reduction for ground penetrating radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 45, 147-164, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERB12080802
11. Karamzadeh, S., M. Kartal, S. Kent, and A. Abed Ashtiyani, "Optimal signal processing method in UWB radar for hidden human detection," 10th European Conference on Synthetic Aperture Radar, EUSAR 2014, 1-3, VDE, 2014.
12. Kumlu, D. and I. Erer, "A comparative study on clutter reduction techniques in GPR images," 2017 4th International Conference on Electrical and Electronic Engineering (ICEEE), 323-328, IEEE, 2017. doi:10.1109/ICEEE2.2017.7935843
13. Khan, U. S. and W. Al-Nuaimy, "Background removal from GPR data using eigen values," 13th International Conference on Ground Penetrating Radar, 2010.
14. Abujarad, F., A. Jostingmeier, and A. S. Omar, "Clutter removal for landmine using different signal processing techniques," Proceedings of the Tenth International Conference on Ground Penetrating Radar, Vol. 1 and 2, 697-700, 2004.
15. Van der Merwe, A. and I. J. Gupta, "A novel signal processing technique for clutter reduction in GPR measurements of small, shallow land mines," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 38, No. 6, 2627-2637, 2000. doi:10.1109/36.885209
16. Thu, H., D.-T. Pham, and C. Ah-Soonl, "Mutual information based independent component analysis of array data,", 2005, http://www.math-info.univ-paris5.fr/map5/publis/PUBLIS05/2005-17.pdf.
17. Cichocki, A. and S. Amari, Adaptive Blind Signal and Image Processing: Learning Algorithms and Applications, John Wiley & Sons, West Sussex, UK, 2003.
18. Thirion, N., J. Mars, and J. L. Boelle, "Separation of seismic signals: A new concept based on a blind algorithm," Signal Processing VIII, Theories and Application, 85-88, Elsevier, Triest, Italy, September 1996.