This paper designs, fabricates, and analyzes an inductively-tuned K/Ka band RF MEMS (Radio frequency micro-electro-mechanical-systems) capacitive switches. The MEMS switch employs a defect ground structure (DGS) and an air bridge. Two different MEMS switches, one with air bridges and the other not, are designed. Surface current distribution results of MEMS switches in different states are simulated and discussed. A novel actuation voltage's calculation approach of MEMS switch is proposed. Measured results indicate that the type MEMS switch's actuation voltage is 20 V. For the MEMS switch without air bridges, the isolation is more than 15 dB at 12.5~20 GHz, and the insertion loss is less than 0.28 dB up to 20 GHz. For the MEMS switch with integrated air bridges, the isolation is more than 15 dB at 18.3~40 GHz, and the insertion loss is less than 0.64 dB up to 40 GHz. Circuit models and measured results of the proposed MEMS switches show good agreements. The pull-in and release time of this switch are 99 μs and 49 μs, and the lifetime of this type of switch is more than three million.
1. Tahir, F. A. and H. Aubert, "Equivalent electrical circuit for designing MEMS-controlled reflectarray phase shifters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 1-12, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09112506
2. Pourziad, A., S. Nikmehr, and H. Veladi, "A novel multi-state integrated RF MEMS switch for reconfigurable antennas applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 139, 389-406, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13012303
3. Martinez-Lopez, R., J. Rodriguez-Cuevas, A. E. Martynyuk, and J. I. Martinez-Lopez, "An active ring slot with RF MEMS switchable radial stubs for reconfigurable frequency selective surface applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 128, 419-440, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12041207
4. Jia, S. and F. Zhao, "Design of a MEMS reconfigurable group delay equalizer," Radio Engineering, Vol. 48, No. 4, 208-313, 2018.
5. Sharma, P., J. Perruisseau-Carrier, C. Moldovan, and A. M. Ionescu, "Electromagnetic performance of RF NEMS graphene capacitive switches," IEEE Transactions on Nanotechnology, Vol. 13, No. 1, 70-79, Jan. 2014, doi: 10.1109/TNANO.2013.2290945. doi:10.1109/TNANO.2013.2290945
6. Fernandez-Bolanos Badia, M., E. Buitrago, and A. M. Ionescu, "RF MEMS shunt capacitive switches using AlN compared to Si3N4 dielectric," Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, Vol. 21, No. 5, 1229-1240, Oct. 2012, doi: 10.1109/JMEMS.2012.2203101. doi:10.1109/JMEMS.2012.2203101
7. Singh, T., "Design and finite element modeling of series-shunt configuration based RF MEMS switch for high isolation operation in K-Ka band," Journal of Computational Electronics, Vol. 14, No. 1, 167-179, Mar. 2015, doi: 10.1007/s10825-014-0636-2. doi:10.1007/s10825-014-0636-2
8. Angira, M., G. M. Sundaram, and K. J. Rangra, "A novel approach for low insertion loss, multi-band, capacitive shunt RF-MEMS switch," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 83, No. 3, 2289-2301, Aug. 2015, doi: 10.1007/s11277-015-2521-0. doi:10.1007/s11277-015-2521-0
9. Philippine, M. A., H. Zareie, O. Sigmund, G. M. Rebeiz, and T. W. Kenny, "Experimental validation of topology optimization for RF MEMS capacitive switch design," Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, Vol. 22, No. 6, 1296-1309, Dec. 2013, doi: 10.1109/JMEMS.2013.2283241. doi:10.1109/JMEMS.2013.2283241
10. Kaynak, M., et al., "Packaged BiCMOS embedded RF-MEMS switches with integrated inductive loads," 2012 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest (MTT), 1-3, Montreal, QC, Canada, 2012, doi: 10.1109/MWSYM.2012.6259417.
11. Muldavin, J. B. and G. M. Rebeiz, "High-isolation inductively-tuned X-band MEMS shunt switches," 2000 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 1, 169-172, Boston, MA, USA, 2000, doi: 10.1109/MWSYM.2000.860923.
12. Zhang, N., Z. Deng, and F. Sen, "CPW tunable band-stop filter using hybrid resonator and employing RF MEMS capacitors," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 60, No. 8, 2648-2655, Aug. 2013, doi: 10.1109/TED.2013.2270359. doi:10.1109/TED.2013.2270359
13. Deng, Z. L., H. Wei, S. Fan, and J. Gan, "Design and analysis a novel RF MEMS switched capacitor for low pull-in voltage application," Microsyst. Techn., 1-9, 2015, doi: 10.1007/s00542-015-2604-6.
14. Hanna, V. F., "Parameters of coplanar diretional couplers with lower ground plane," 15th European Microwave Conference, 1985, 820-825, Paris, France, 1985, doi: 10.1109/EUMA.1985.333579. doi:10.1109/EUMA.1985.333579
15. Ghione, G. and C. Naldi, "Parameters of coplanar waveguides with lower ground plane," Electronics Letters, Vol. 19, No. 18, 734-735, Sep. 1983, doi: 10.1049/el:19830500. doi:10.1049/el:19830500
16. Rebeiz, G. M., RF MEMS: Theory, Design, and Technology, John Wiley & Sons, 2004.