In this paper, a novel wearable inkjet printed dual-band antenna is presented, which works at 2.45 GHz and 5.8 GHz for wireless body area network applications. The proposed antenna geometry is composed of two printed monopole elements, which are constructed from an analytical profile of an exponentially-decaying sinusoidal curve. The analytically parameterized curve allows for constructing on demand irregular and unique shaped miniaturized radiators. The antenna system is printed on a transparent flexible polyethylene terephthalate (PET) film. The wearable dual-band printed antenna with an overall size 45 x 40 x 0.135 mm3 is compact, light weight, and low profile, making it a suitable candidate for wireless body area network applications, when limited volume space for the worn unit is a requirement. Good agreement between numerical and measured data is achieved. Moreover, the overall far-field radiation performance of the wearable dual-band antenna is satisfactory, with measured peak gains of 1.81 dBi and 3.92 dBi, and a total computed efficiencies of 81% and 82% at 2.45 GHz and 5.8 GHz, respectively. The effect of bending the wearable antenna structure is also investigated, and only slight performance variations are observed.
Mohammed M. Bait-Suwailam,
"Flexible Analytical Curve-Based Dual-Band Antenna for Wireless Body Area Networks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 84, 73-84, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERM19051004
1. Hall, P. S. and Y. Hao, "Antennas and propagation for body centric communications," 2006 First European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 1-7, Nov. 2006.
2. Salonen, P. and J. Rantanen, "A dual-band and wide-band antenna on exible substrate for smart clothing," Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society (IECON), Vol. 1, 125-130, Feb. 2001.
3. Salonen, P. and A. Hume, "A novel fabric WLAN antenna for wearable applications," 2003 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Symposium, 700-703, 2003.
4. De Cos, M. E. and F. Las-Heras, "Polypropylene-based dual-band CPW-Fed monopole antenna [Antenna Applications Corner]," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 55, No. 3, 264-273, Jun. 2013. doi:10.1109/MAP.2013.6586683
5. Zhu, S. and R. Langley, "Dual-band wearable textile antenna on an EBG substrate," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, 926-935, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2014527
6. Chauraya, A., W. G. Whittow, J. Vardaxoglou, Y. Li, R. Torah, K. Yang, S. Beeby, and J. Tudor, "Inkjet printed dipole antennas on textiles for wearable communications," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 7, No. 9, 760-767, 2013. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2013.0076
7. Rida, R. V. M. A., L. Yang, and M. Tenzeries, "Conductive inkjet-printed antennas on low-cost paper-based substrates for RFID and wsn applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 51, No. 3, 13-23, 2009. doi:10.1109/MAP.2009.5251188
8. Hettak, K., T. Ross, R. James, A. Momciu, and J. Wight, "Flexible polyethylene terephthalate-based inkjet printed CPW-fed monopole antenna for 60 GHz ISM applications," 2013 European Microwave Integrated Circuit Conference, 476-479, Oct. 2013.
9. Hertleer, L. V. C., H. Rogier, and L. V. Langenhove, "A textile antenna for off-body communication integrated into protective clothing for fire-fighters," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, 919-925, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2014574
10. Rida, A., G. Shaker, F. Nasri, T. Reynolds, S. Nikolaou, and M. Tenzeris, "Inkjet printing of dual band conformal antenna for use in WiFi frequency bands," 2010 IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium (RWS), 65-67, Jan. 2010. doi:10.1109/RWS.2010.5434212
11. Hassan, A., S. Ali, G. Hassan, J. Bae, and C. Lee, "Inkjet-printed antenna on thin PET substrate for dual band Wi-Fi communications," Microsystem Technologies, Vol. 23, No. 8, 3701-3709, Aug. 2016. doi:10.1007/s00542-016-3113-y
12. Sundarsingh, E., S. Velan, M. Kanagasabai, A. Sarma, C. Raviteja, and M. Alsath, "Polygon-shaped slotted dual-band antenna for wearable applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Prop. Letters, Vol. 13, 611-614, 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2313133
13. Haerinia, M. and S. Noghanian, "A printed wearable dual-band antenna for wireless power transfer," Sensors, Vol. 19, 1732:10, 2019.
14. Badhai, R. K. and N. Gupta, "Design of wideband inverted Sinc shaped monopole antenna," 2014 Fourth International Conference on Communication Systems and Network Technologies, 34-37, Apr. 2014. doi:10.1109/CSNT.2014.16
15. Verma, S. and P. Kumar, "Compact arc-shaped antenna with binomial curved conductor-backed plane for multiband wireless applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propagation, Vol. 9, No. 4, 351-359, 2015. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2014.0427
16. Gianvittorio, J. P. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Fractal antennas: A novel antenna miniaturization technique, and applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 44, No. 1, 20-36, Feb. 2002. doi:10.1109/74.997888
17. Jerzy Guterman, A. A. M. and C. Peixeiro, "Microstrip fractal antennas for multistandard terminals," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 3, 351-354, 2004. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2004.840253
18. Chien, H., C. Sim, and C. Lee, "Dual-band meander monopole antenna for WLAN operation in laptop computer," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 694-697, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2263373
19. Georget, E., R. Abdeddaim, and P. Sabouroux, "Analytical, simulation and measurement studies of a dual-band open-sleeve curved meander line antenna on a exible substrate," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 145, 49-57, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIER13122004
20. Kakoyiannis, C. G. and P. Constantinou, "Radiation poperties and ground-dependent response of compact printed sinusoidal antennas and arrays," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 4, No. 5, 629-642, May 2010. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2009.0162
21. Kakoyiannis, C. G. and P. Constantinou, "Compact WSN antennas of analytic geometry based on Chebyshev polynomials," 2012. Loughborough Antennas Propagation Conference (LAPC), 1-6, Nov. 2012.
22. Yang, L., A. Rida, R. Vyas, and M. M. Tentzeris, "RFID tag and RF structures on a paper substrate using Inkjet-printing technology," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 12, 2894-2901, Dec. 2007. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.909886
23. Shaker, G., S. Safavi-Naeini, N. Sangary, and M. M. Tentzeris, "Inkjet printing of ultrawideband (UWB) antennas on paper-based substrates," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 111-114, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2106754
24., , Institute of Applied Physics. (accessed on 20 June, 2019), [Online], Available: http://niremf.ifac.cnr.it/tissprop/htmlclie/htmlclie.
25., , Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), IEEE Standard for Safety Levels with Respect to Human Exposure to Radio Frequency Electromagnetic Fields, 3 kHz to 300 GHz (IEEE Std C95.1-2005), IEEE: Piscataway, NJ, USA, 2006. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2106754