In this paper, a single-fed high-gain circularly polarized microstrip antenna is proposed. The circular polarization is obtained by two unequal-length arc-shaped radiation patches, which excites two orthogonal linearly polarized modes with a 90° phase difference. The antenna is excited by coaxial feed. The proposed circularly polarized antenna consists of two arc-shaped radiation patches and a ground plane, which has a simple structure and a higher gain than 10.0 dB. The antenna is fabricated and measured to verify the design. The measured results are in good agreements with the simulated ones. The measured results show that the impendenceb and width (IBW) for S11<-10 dB is 16.7% (3.78-4.47 GHz), and the axial-ratio bandwidth (ARBW) for AR<3 dB is 3.6% (4.09-4.24 GHz). Further, the gain from 4.09 to 4.24 GHz is higher than 10.0 dBi. The antenna radiation pattern performs well over the whole band, and the peak gain can reach 10.67 dBi at 4.11 GHz. It is a good candidate for advanced wireless communication systems.
1. Xu, Y., S. Gong, and T. Hong, "Circularly polarized slot microstrip antenna for harmonic suppression," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 472-475, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2256334
2. Hong, T., S. Gong, Y. Liu, W. Jiang, and J. Du, "Miniaturized circularly polarized microstrip antenna by spirally slotted," 2015 IEEE 4th Asia-Pacific Conference on Antennas and Propagation (APCAP), 585-586, Kuta, 2015. doi:10.1109/APCAP.2015.7374496
3. Nasimuddin, X. Qing, and Z. N. Chen, "Circularly polarized ring-slotted-microstrip antenna," 2015 IEEE 4th Asia-Pacific Conference on Antennas and Propagation (APCAP), 203-204, Kuta, 2015. doi:10.1109/APCAP.2015.7374335
4. Huo, X. Y., J. H. Wang, and M. E. Chen, "Circularly polarized microstrip antenna with two Asymmetric Circular slots for RFID application," 2013 IEEE International Conference on Microwave Technology & Computational Electromagnetics, 184-187, Qingdao, 2013.
5. Lin, Y., H. Chen, and S. Lin, "A new coupling mechanism for circularly polarized annular-ring patch antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 1, 11-16, Jan. 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.912961
6. Yang, Y., J.-Y. Li, K. Wei, R. Xu, and G.-W. Yang, "Circularly polarised cut ring microstrip antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 51, No. 3, 199-200, 2015. doi:10.1049/el.2014.3729
7. Li, R., Y. Guo, B. Zhang, and G. Du, "A miniaturized circularly polarized implantable annular-ring antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2566-2569, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2734246
8. Chen, Q., J. Li, G. Yang, B. Cao, and Z. Zhang, "A polarization-reconfigurable high-gain microstrip antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 5, 3461-3466, May 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2019.2902750
9. Lam, K. Y., K. Luk, K. F. Lee, H. Wong, and K. B. Ng, "Small circularly polarized u-slot wideband patch antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 87-90, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2110631
10. Tong, K. and T. Wong, "Circularly polarized U-slot antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 8, 2382-2385, Aug. 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.901930
11. Lin, J. and Q. Chu, "Enhancing bandwidth of CP microstrip antenna by using parasitic patches in annular sector shapes to control electric field components," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 5, 924-927, May 2018. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2018.2825236
12. Bilotti, F. and C. Vegni, "Design of high-performing microstrip receiving GPS antennas with multiple feeds," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 248-251, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2046874
13. Chen, X., G. Fu, S. Gong, Y. Yan, and W. Zhao, "Circularly polarized stacked annular-ring microstrip antenna with integrated feeding network for UHF RFID readers," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 542-545, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2051791
14. Zhang, B., Y. P. Zhang, D. Titz, F. Ferrero, and C. Luxey, "A circularly-polarized array antenna using linearly-polarized sub grid arrays for highly-integrated 60-GHz radio," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 1, 436-439, Jan. 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2214752
15. Altintas, O., E. Unal, O. Akgol, M. Karaaslan, and F. Karadag, "Design of a wide band metasurface as a linear to circular polarization converter," Modern Physics Letters B, Vol. 31, No. 30, 2017. doi:10.1142/S0217984917502748
16. Akgol, O., O. Altintas, E. Unal, M. Karaaslan, and F. Karadag, "Linear to left- and right-hand circular polarization conversion by using a metasurface structure," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 10, No. 1, 133-138, 2018. doi:10.1017/S1759078717001192
17. Akgol, O., E. Unal, O. Altintas, M. Karaaslan, and F. Karadag, "Design of metasurface polarization converter from linearly polarized signal to circularly polarized signal," OPTIK, Vol. 161, 12-19, 2018. doi:10.1016/j.ijleo.2018.02.028
18., , HFSS version 14.0.1: High Frequency Structure Simulator Based on the Finite Element Method, [Online], Available: http://www.ansys.com.
19. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, 371-374, Artech House, Norwood, MA, USA, 2001.
20. Data Sheet of ROHDE&SCHWARZ ZVB20, , Application Note, [Online], Available: http://www.rohde-schwarz.com/.