A novel technique for designing a dual-band reconfigurable aperture coupled cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna is introduced here. The design is based on loading an aperture coupled cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna with a varactor diode located along the lines of the feed network. Loading the antenna with the varactor shifts the first and second resonant frequencies of the antenna. The resonant frequency can be continuously shifted from 4.75 GHz to 4.96 GHz in the lower band, and the resonant frequency of the higher band is shifted from 6.31 GHz to 6.40 GHz as the varactor diode bias voltage is increased from 1 V to 5 V. The proposed antenna offers a stable broadside radiation pattern at both bands and across the entire tunable frequency range for different bias voltages. The parametric analysis on the slot position is done to control the first and second resonant frequencies of the dual-band antenna. The proposed antenna plays a vital role in C-band (4 GHz-8 GHz) applications.
1. Majid, H. A., M. K. A. Rahim, M. R. Hamid, and M. F. Ismail, "Frequency reconfigurable microstrip patch slot antenna with directional radiation pattern," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 144, 319-328, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIER13102901
2. Alkanhal, M. A. and A. F. Sheta, "A novel dual-band reconfigurable square --- Ring microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 70, 337-349, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07020703
3. Saed, M. A., "Reconfigurable broadband microstrip antenna fed by a coplanar waveguide," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 55, 227-239, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER05031601
4. Shynu, S. V., G. Augustin, C. K. Aanandan, P Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan, "Design of compact reconfigurable dual-frequency microstrip antennas using varactor diodes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 60, 197-205, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05120101
5. Simons, R. N., D. Chun, and L. P. B. Katehi, "Microelectromechanical systems (MEMS) actuators for antenna reconfigurability," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Sym. Digest, 215-218, May 2001.
6. Simons, R. N., D. Chun, and L. P. B. Katehi, "Polarization reconfigurable patch antenna using Microelectromechanical Systems (MEMS) actuators," IEEE AP-S Sym. Digest, 6-9, June 2002.
7. Chiao, J. C., S.-Y. Cheng, J. L. Chang, I. M. Chio, Y. Kang, and J. Hayasaka, "MEMS reconfigurable antennas," Int. J. RF Microwave CAE, Vol. 11, 301-309, 2001. doi:10.1002/mmce.1038
8. Zhu, H. L., X. H. Liu, S. W. Cheung, and T. I. Yuk, "Frequency-reconfigurable antenna using metasurface," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 1, 80-85, 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2288112
9. Ng, H. K. and K. W. Leung, "Frequency tuning of the linearly and circularly polarized dielectric resonator antennas using multiple parasitic strips," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 1, 225-230, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.861546
10. Sulaiman, M. I. and S. K. Khamas, "Frequency tuning of a singly fed rectangular dielectric resonator antenna with a wideband circular polarization," IEEE Loughborough Antennas Propagat. Conf., Vol. 53, No. 3, 1229-1232, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.842583
11. Ng, H. K. and K. W. Leung, "Frequency tuning of the dielectric resonator antenna using a loading cap," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 3, 1229-1232, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.842583
12. Leung, K. W. and K. K. So, "Frequency tunable designs of the linearly and circularly polarized dielectric resonator antenna using a parasitic slot," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 1, 572-576, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.838762
13. Hao, C. X., B. Li, K. W. Leung, and X. Q. Sheng, "Frequency-tunable differentially fed rectangular dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 2011.
14. Desjardins, D., A. McNamara, S. Thirakouna, and A. Petosa, "Electronically frequency-reconfigurable rectangular dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, 2997-3002, June 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2194664
15. O'Keefe, S. G. and S. P. Kingsley, "Tunability of liquid dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 6, 533-536, 2007. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2007.907916
16. Huff, G. H., D. L. Rolando, P. Walters, and J. McDonald, "A frequency reconfigurable dielectric resonator antenna using colloidal dispersions," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 288-290, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2046613
17. Long, S. A., M. W. McAllister, and L. C. Shen, "The resonant cylindrical dielectric cavity antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 31, 406-412, May 1983. doi:10.1109/TAP.1983.1143080
18., Ansoft High Frequency Structure Simulator (HFSS), version 15, Ansoft Corporation, Pittsburgh, U.S.A..