As seen from this article, a novel hepta-band metal-rimmed antenna is proposed. The volume of the proposed antenna is small, and no lumped elements are used. The proposed metal-rimmed antenna is competitive for modern mobile application. The illustrated antenna could be divided into several parts: main ground plane, metal rim, two L-shaped ground slots sharing one open end, an L-shaped branch extended from right edge of main ground, a microstrip feedline located at the top surface of the substrate, a meandered branch located at the back side of the substrate, and a 2mm slot located at the middle of the metal rim's top edge. For lower band, GSM850 and GSM 900 are provided by two bezel loop modes generated through capacitive coupling of feedline. For upper band, DCS, PCS, UMTS, LTE2300, and LTE2500 are covered by multiple modes of two L-shaped slots, a meandered strip and feedline. With the proposed structure, the volume of the proposed antenna could be further reduced. All the mentioned operating bands are achieved in a small area of 620 mm2 on a 115x70 mm2 system board. Note that the proposed antenna has achieved such a small volume on a relatively small system board without any lumped elements. The rest of this paper will describe the antenna configuration, the analysis of working principle, parametric analysis, and the experimental results are also given and discussed.
"A Hepta-Band Metal-Rimmed Antenna Without Lumped Elements for Smartphone Application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 95, 239-249, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERC19081002
1. Hsu, C. K. and S. J. Chung, "Single open-slot antenna for LTE/WWAN smartphone application," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 11, 5102-5107, Nov. 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2473657
2. Wong, K. L. and C. Y. Huang, "Triple-wideband open-slot antenna for the LTE metal-framed tablet device," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 12, 5966-5971, Dec. 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2491321
3. Yuan, B., et al., "Slot antenna for metal-rimmed mobile handsets," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 1334-1337, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2227663
4. Wong, K. L. and C. Y. Tsai, "Low-profile dual-wideband inverted-T open slot antenna for the LTE/WWAN tablet computer with a metallic frame," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 7, 2879-2886, Jul. 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2429734
5. Ban, Y. L., et al., "Printed monopole slot antenna for WWAN metal-rimmed smartphone applications," The Int. Symp. Antennas Propag. (ISAP), 2015.
6. Stanley, M., et al., "A novel reconfigurable metal rim integrated open slot antenna for octa-band smartphone applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 7, 3352-3363, Jul. 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2700084
7. Zhang, L. W., et al., "Parallel dual-loop antenna for WWAN/LTE metal-rimmed smartphone," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, No. 3, 1217-1226, Mar. 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2796724
8. Huang, D., Z. Du, and Y. Wang, "An octa-band monopole antenna with a small nonground portion height for LTE/WLAN mobile phones," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 2, 878-882, Feb. 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2632530
9. Liu, Y., et al., "Hepta-band inverted-F antenna for metal-rimmed mobile phone applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 996-999, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2489763
10. Chen, H. and A. Zhao, "LTE antenna design for mobile phone with metal frame," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 996-999, 2016.
11. Liu, G., Y. Liu, and S. Gong, "A coupled-fed loop antenna for metal-rimmed mobile phone applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 59, No. 2, 311-314, Feb. 2017. doi:10.1002/mop.30311
13. Kuixi, Y., et al., "Antenna design for a smartphone with a full metal casing and a narrow frame," IET Microw., Antennas Propag., Vol. 12, 1316-1323, Jun. 2018.
14. Huang, D. and Z. Du, "Eight-band antenna with a small ground clearance for LTE metal-frame mobile phone applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 17, 34-37, 2018. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2772303
15. Lian, J. W. and Y. L. Ban, "Hybrid multi-mode narrow-frame antenna for WWAN/LTE metal-rimmed smartphone applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 4, 3991-3998, 2016. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2016.2593538
16. Yang, Y., et al., "Compact multimode monopole antenna for metal-rimmed mobile phones," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 5, 2297-2304, May 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2679059
17. Chen, S. C., C. C. Huang, and W. S. Cai, "Integration of a low-profile, long-term evolution/wireless wide area network monopole antenna into the metal frame of tablet computers," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 7, 3726-3731, Jul. 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2700844
18. Ban, Y. L., et al., "Reconfigurable narrow-frame antenna for LTE/WWAN metal-rimmed smartphone applications," IET Microw., Antennas Propag., Vol. 10, No. 10, 1092-1100, Jul. 2016. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2015.0610
19. Zhang, H. B., et al., "Reconfigurable loop antenna with two parasitic grounded strips for WWAN/LTE unbroken-metal-rimmed smartphones," IEEE Access, Vol. 5, 4840-4845, 2017.
20. Xu, Z. Q., et al., "Reconfigurable MIMO antenna for integrated-metalrimmed smartphone applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 5, 21223-21228, 2017. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2017.2757949