A compact ultra-wideband (UWB) antenna with tunable band notched characteristics is proposed. Varactor loaded, two via edge located (TVEL) and fractal electromagnetic band gap (EBG) structures are designed for tunable band-notched characteristics. The varactor diode near the TVEL EBG tunes the band notch frequency for WiMAX (2.8-4.0 GHz) band, while another varactor near fractal EBG structure tunes band-notch frequency for WLAN (4.7-6.2 GHz) band. The varactors are independently controlled to achieve WiMAX and WLAN notched band. Notch frequencies can be continuously tuned by varying the bias voltage across the varactors. The proposed antenna of 24×24 mm2 dimensions is fabricated on an FR4 substrate. A good agreement between simulation and measurement results is obtained. A continuous band notch tuning from 2.8 to 4.0 GHz and 4.7 to 6.2 GHz is obtained using varactor diodes having capacitance in a range of 0.497-2.35 pF.
Mahadu Annarao Trimukhe,
Balaji G. Hogade,
"Compact UWB Antenna with Tunable Band-Notch Characteristics Using Varactor Diode," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 97, 15-28, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERC19081801
1. Anon, "FCC first report and order on ultra-wideband technology,", FCC 802 Standards Notes, Feb. 2002. doi:10.2528/PIER18060804
2. Raad, H. K., "An UWB antenna array for flexible IoT wireless systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 162, 109-121, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC17091809
3. Reyes-Vera, E., M. Arias-Correa, A. Giraldo-Muno, D. Catano-Ochoa, and J. Santa-Marin, "Development of an improved response ultra-wideband antenna based on conductive adhesive of carbon composite," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 79, 199-208, 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2163755
4. Mehdipour, A., I. D. Rosca, A.-R. Seba, C. W. Trueman, and S. V. Hoa, "Carbon nanotube composites for wideband millimeter-wave antenna applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 10, 3572-3578, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2199956
5. Khaleel, H. R., H. M. Al-Rizzo, D. Rucker, and S. Mohan, "A compact polyimide-based UWB antenna for flexible electronics," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation, Vol. 11, 564-567, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER14043003
6. Ma, K., Z. Zhao, J. Wu, S. M. Ellis, and Z.-P. Nie, "A printed Vivaldi antenna with improved radiation patterns by using two pairs of eye-shaped slots for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 148, 63-71, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIER13031510
7. Zivkovic, I. and K. Scheffer, "A new innovative antenna concept for both narrow band and UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 139, 121-131, 2013. doi:10.1049/el.2017.4528
8. Hosseini, H., H. R. Hassani, and M. H. Amini, "Miniaturised multiple notched omnidirectional UWB monopole antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 54, 472-474, 2018. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2885248
9. Doddipall, S. and A. Kothari, "Compact UWB antenna with integrated triple notch bands for WBAN applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 183-190, 2019. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2652978
10. Vendik, I. B., A. Rusakov, K. Kanjanasit, J. Hong, and D. Filonov, "Ultra-wideband (UWB) planar antenna with single, dual and triple-band notched characteristic based on electric ring resonator," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 1597-1600, 2017. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2016.0063
11. Shaik, L. A., C. Saha, J. Y. Siddiqui, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Ultra-wideband monopole antenna for multiband and wideband frequency notch and narrowband applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 10, No. 11, 1204-1211, 2016. doi:10.3390/s17102174
12. Rahman, M. U., D.-S. Ko, and J.-D. Park, "A compact multiple notched ultra-wide band antenna with an analysis of the CSRR-TO-CSRR coupling for portable UWB applications," Sensors, Vol. 17, No. 10, 2174, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIER12032604
13. Islam, M. T., R. Azim, and A. T. Mobashsher, "Triple band-notched planar UWB antenna using parasitic strip," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 161-179, 2012. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2018.5674
14. Ghahremani, M., C. Ghobadi, J. Nourinia, M. S. Ellis, F. Alizadeh, and B. Mohammadi, "Miniaturised UWB antenna with dual-band rejection of WLAN/WiMAX using slitted EBG structure," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 13, No. 3, 360-366, 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2874702
15. Bhavarthe, P., S. Rathod, and K. T. V. Reddy, "A compact dual band electromagnetic band gap structure," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 1, 596-600, 2019.
16. Jaglan, N., S. D. Gupta, B. K. Kanaujia, and S. Srivastava, "Band notched UWB circular monopole antenna with inductance enhanced modified mushroom EBG structures," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 24, No. 2, 383-393, 2018. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2011.2114090
17. Peng, L. and C.-L. Ruan, "UWB band-notched monopole antenna design using electromagnetic-bandgap structures," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, No. 4, 1074-1081, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERL16120203
18. Hua, C., Y. Lu, and T. Liu, "UWB heart-shaped planar monopole antenna with a reconfigurable notched band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 65, 123-130, 2017.
19. Wu, W., Y.-B. Li, R.-Y. Wu, C.-B. Shi, and T.-J. Cui, "Band-notched UWB antenna with switchable and tunable performance," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2016, 1-6, 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2570254
20. Tang, M.-C., H. Wang, T. Deng, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Compact planar ultra-wideband antennas with continuously tunable, independent band-notched filters," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 8, 3292-3301, 2016.
21. Elfergani, I., J. Rodriguez, I. Otung, W. Mshwat, and R. Abd-Alhameed, "Slotted printed monopole UWB antennas with tunable rejection bands for WLAN/WiMAX and X-band coexistence," Electromagnetics, Vol. 27, No. 3, 694-702, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERL18010819
22. Nejatijahromi, M., M. Rahman, and M. Naghshvarianjahromi, "Continuously tunable WiMAX band-notched UWB antenna with fixed WLAN notched band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 75, 97-103, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC17061507
23. Mohamed, H. A. E., A. S. Elkorany, S. A. Saad, and D. A. Saleeb, "New simple flower shaped reconfigurable band-notched UWB antenna using single varactor diode," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 76, 197-206, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERC17092302
24. Alhegazi, A., Z. Zakaria, N. A. Shairi, I. M. Ibrahim, and S. Ahmed, "A novel reconfigurable UWB filtering-antenna with dual sharp band notches using double split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 79, 185-198, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERL18010821
25. Nejatijahromi, M., M. Naghshvarianjahromi, and M. Rahman, "Switchable planar monopole antenna between ultra-wideband and narrow band behavior," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 75, 131-137, 2018.
26. Jahrom, M. N., M. N. Jahrom, and M. U. Rahma, "A new compact planar antenna for switching between UWB, narrow band and UWB with tunable-notch behaviors for UWB and WLAN application," ACES Journal, Vol. 3, No. 4, 400-406, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC18010818
27. Nejatijahrom, M., M. Naghshvarianjahromi, and M. Rahma, "Compact CPW fed switchable UWB antenna as an antenna filter at narrow-frequency bands," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 81, 199-209, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC19040908
28. Trimukhe, M. A. and B. G. Hogade, "Compact ultra-wideband antenna with triple band notch characteristics using EBG structures," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 93, 65-77, 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817983
29. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Microstrip antennas integrated with electromagnetic band-gap (EBG) structures: A low mutual coupling design for array applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2936-2946, 2003.
30. Mishra, S. K., R. K. Gupta, and J. Mukherjee, "Effect of substrate material on radiation characteristics of an UWB antenna," Loughborough Antennas & Propagation Conference, 157-160, U.K., 2010.