This paper focuses on the design, development, and integration of a V2X shark-fin antenna. A novel planar Electronically Switched Parasitic Array Radiator (ESPAR) antenna, operating at 5.9 GHz, is proposed. The antenna exhibits pattern reconfigurability i.e. one quasi-omni and two directive beams, low cost, reduced complexity and small dimensions. Therefore, it is considered as an ideal candidate for integrating inside a shark-fin casing. The ESPAR antenna prototype is fabricated and tested in three different measurement scenarios: (a) free-space, (b) inside shark-fin, and (c) shark-fin with ground plane. A good correlation between simulated and experimental results has been obtained. The proposed antenna involves a reconfigurable impedance matching network that is integrated in the antenna design, and thus, it demonstrates a satisfactory impedance matching for all antenna states. A considerable gain enhancement (3-4 dB) is also recorded between the omnidirectional and two directive patterns.
Athanasios G. Kanatas,
"An Integrated Shark-Fin Reconfigurable Antenna for V2X Communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 100, 1-16, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERC19112005
1. Hobert, L., A. Festag, I. Llatser, L. Altomare, F. Visintainer, and A. Kovacs, "Enhancements of V2X communication in support of cooperative autonomous driving," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 53, No. 12, 64-70, 2015. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2015.7355568
2. Oncu, S., N. van de Wouw, W. M. H. Heemels, and H. Nijmeijer, "String stability of interconnected vehicles under communication constraints," 2012 IEEE 51st IEEE Conference on Decision and Control (CDC), 2459-2464, 2012. doi:10.1109/CDC.2012.6426042
3. Molisch, A. F., F. Tufvesson, J. Karedal, and C. F. Mecklenbrauker, "A survey on vehicle-to-vehicle propagation channels," IEEE Wireless Communications, Vol. 16, No. 6, 12-22, 2009. doi:10.1109/MWC.2009.5361174
4. Geissler, M., K. Scharwies, and J. Christ, "Intelligent antenna systems for cars," GeMiC 2014; German Microwave Conference, 1-3, VDE, 2014.
5. Rabinovich, V. and N. Alexandrov, "Compact car-mounted arrays," Antenna Arrays and Automotive Applications, 1-20, Springer, 2013.
6. Thiel, A., O. Klemp, A. Paiera, L. Bernado, J. Karedal, and A. Kwoczek, "In-situ vehicular antenna integration and design aspects for vehicle-to-vehicle communications," Proceedings of the Fourth European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 1-5, IEEE, 2010.
7. Liu, F., Z. Zhang, W. Chen, Z. Feng, and M. F. Iskander, "An endfire beam-switchable antenna array used in vehicular environment," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 195-198, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2044973
8. Schack, M., D. Kornek, E. Slottke, and T. Kurner, "Analysis of channel parameters for different antenna configurations in vehicular environments," 2010 IEEE 72nd Vehicular Technology Conference-Fall, 1-5, 2010.
9. Guan, N., H. Tayama, M. Ueyama, Y. Yoshijima, and H. Chiba, "A roof automobile module for LTE-MIMO antennas," 2015 IEEE-APS Topical Conference on Antennas and Propagation in Wireless Communications (APWC), 387-391, 2015. doi:10.1109/APWC.2015.7300160
10. Li, X.-L., G.-M. Yang, and Y.-Q. Jin, "Isolation enhancement of wideband vehicular antenna array using fractal decoupling structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, No. 9, 1799-1803, 2019. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2019.2930365
11. Thiel, A., L. Ekiz, O. Klemp, and M. Schultz, "Automotive grade MIMO antenna setup and performance evaluation for LTE-communications," 2013 International Workshop on Antenna Technology (iWAT), 171-174, IEEE, 2013. doi:10.1109/IWAT.2013.6518325
12. Bai, D., S. S. Ghassemzadeh, R. R. Miller, and V. Tarokh, "Beam selection gain versus antenna selection gain," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 57, No. 10, 6603-6618, 2011. doi:10.1109/TIT.2011.2165814
13. Marantis, L., K. Maliatsos, C. Oikonomopoulos-Zachos, D. K. Rongas, A. Paraskevopoulos, A. Aspreas, and A. G. Kanatas, "The pattern selection capability of a printed ESPAR antenna," 2017 11th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), 922-926, IEEE, 2017. doi:10.23919/EuCAP.2017.7928841
14. Kim, S., D. Kang, and J. Choi, "Beam reconfigurable antenna using switchable parasitic elements for V2V applications," 2017 International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (ISAP), 1-2, IEEE, 2017.
15. Kowalewski, J., J. Mayer, T. Mahler, and T. Zwick, "A compact pattern reconfigurable antenna utilizing multiple monopoles," 2016 International Workshop on Antenna Technology (iWAT), 1-4, IEEE, 2016.
16. Kowalewski, J., T. Mahler, J. Mayer, and T. Zwick, "A miniaturized pattern reconfigurable antenna for automotive applications," 2016 10th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-4, IEEE, 2016.
17. Harrington, R., "Reactively controlled directive arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 26, No. 3, 390-395, 1978. doi:10.1109/TAP.1978.1141852
18. Kalis, A., A. G. Kanatas, and C. B. Papadias, "A novel approach to MIMO transmission using a single RF front end," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 26, No. 6, 972-980, 2008. doi:10.1109/JSAC.2008.080813
19. Ohira, T. and K. Gyoda, "Electronically steerable passive array radiator antennas for low-cost analog adaptive beamforming," Proceedings 2000 IEEE International Conference on Phased Array Systems and Technology (Cat. No. 00TH8510), 101-104, IEEE, 2000. doi:10.1109/PAST.2000.858918
20. Thiel, D. V. and S. Smith, Switched Parasitic Antennas for Cellular Communications, Artech House, 2002.
21. Kalis, A., A. G. Kanatas, and C. B. Papadias, Parasitic Antenna Arrays for Wireless MIMO Systems, Springer, 2014. doi:10.1007/978-1-4614-7999-4
22. Anbaran, A. G., A. Mohammadi, and A. Abdipour, "Capacity enhancement of ad hoc networks using a new single-RF compact beamforming scheme," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 11, 5026-5034, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2469092
23. Liu, H.-T., S. Gao, and T.-H. Loh, "Electrically small and low cost smart antenna for wireless communication," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 3, 1540-1549, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2180300
24. Alrabadi, O. N., J. Perruisseau-Carrier, and A. Kalis, "MIMO transmission using a single RF source: Theory and antenna design," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 2, 654-664, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2173429
25. Zhang, S., G. Huff, J. Feng, and J. T. Bernhard, "A pattern reconfigurable microstrip parasitic array," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 10, 2773-2776, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.834372
26. Petit, L., L. Dussopt, and J.-M. Laheurte, "MEMS-switched parasitic-antenna array for radiation pattern diversity," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 9, 2624-2631, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.880751
27. Preston, S., D. Thiel, J. W. Lu, S. O'Keefe, and T. Bird, "Electronic beam steering using switched parasitic patch elements," Electronics Letters, Vol. 33, No. 1, 7-8, 1997. doi:10.1049/el:19970048
28. Islam, M. R. and M. Ali, "Elevation plane beam scanning of a novel parasitic array radiator antenna for 1900 MHz mobile handheld terminals," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 10, 3344-3352, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2055798
29. Yousefbeiki, M. and J. Perruisseau-Carrier, "Towards compact and frequency-tunable antenna solutions for MIMO transmission with a single RF chain," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 3, 1065-1073, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2267197
30. Sawaya, T., K. Iigusa, M. Taromaru, and T. Ohira, "Reactance diversity: proof-of-concept experiments in an indoor multipath-fading environment with a 5-GHz prototype planar ESPAR antenna," First IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking Conference, CCNC 2004, 678-680, IEEE, 2004. doi:10.1109/CCNC.2004.1286954
31. Paraskevopoulos, A., D. Rongas, L. Marantis, and A. Kanatas, "Beam-switched ESPAR antenna with embedded matching network for V2X communications," 2019 PhotonIcs & Electromagnetics Research Symposium --- Spring (PIERS --- SPRING), 3619-3625, Rome, Italy, June 17-20, 2019.
32. Marantis, L., D. Rongas, A. Paraskevopoulos, C. Oikonomopoulos-Zachos, and A. Kanatas, "Pattern reconfigurable ESPAR antenna for vehicle-to-vehicle communications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 12, No. 3, 280-286, 2017. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2017.0209
33. Dassault Systemes, D. C., "CST Studio Suite 3D EM simulation and analysis software,", https://www.3ds.com/products-services/simulia/products/cst-studio-suite, [Online].
34. GmbH, I., "Antenna measurements,", 2019, http://www.imst.com/imst/en/development/antennas/measurements-test.php, [Online].