In this paper, a novel semi-circular ultra wide-band antenna inspired by a complementary split ring resonator for enhancement of bandwidth and a frequency selective surface reflector for gain enhancement is proposed for broadband applications. Initially, an ultra wide-band antenna employing a pair of L-shaped resonators and complementary split ring resonators is proposed which provides a wide impedance bandwidth of 130.3% from 3.16 to 15 GHz with -10 dB return loss. Finally, a frequency selective surface reflector is employed below the suggested ultra wide-band antenna to enhance the gain. The dimensions of the coplanar waveguide fed ultra wide-band antenna are 35 × 30 × 1.6 mm3 and those of the ultra wide-band antenna with a frequency selective surface reflector, which consists of 10 × 10 array of elements located at a distance of 17 mm below the proposed antenna, are 53.15 × 53.15 × 1.6 mm3. A parametric analysis of substrate dimensions of ultra wide-band antenna and the distance between ultra wide-band antenna and frequency selective surface reflector is performed. The average peak gain of the proposed antenna increases from 4.9 dB to 10.9 dB, which operates at 3.79 GHz, 4.44 GHz, 7.89 GHz, 9.01 GHZ, and 11.15 GHz proposed for broadband applications. With the help of ANSYS, the signal correlation of the proposed antenna is analysed by time domain analysis using similar antennas in face-to-face and side-to-side scenarios. The simulated results of the proposed model are in correlation with experimental ones of the prototype model.
Kurukundu Rama Naidu,
"Gain Enhancement of an UWB Antenna Based on a FSS Reflector for Broadband Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 99, 193-208, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERC19120905
1. Mobashsher, A. T. and A. Abbosh, "Utilizing symmetry of planar ultra-wideband antennas for size reduction and enhanced performance," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., 2015.
2. Liu, Y., et al. "Some recent developments of microstrip antenna," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 2012.
3. Cicchetti, R., A. Faraone, D. Caratelli, and M. Simeoni, "Wideband, multiband, tunable, and smart Wideband, multiband, tunable, and smart," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation,, 2013.
4. First report and order. Revision of part 15 of the commission’s rule regarding, "Ultra wide band transmission system FCC 02-48,", Federal Communications Commission, 2002.
5. Aiello, G. R. and G. D. Rogerson, "Ultra-wideband wireless systems," IEEE Microw. Mag., 2003.
6. Liu, W. X., Y. Z. Yin, W. L. Xu, and S. L. Zuo, "Compact open-slot antenna with bandwidth enhancement," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., 2011.
7. Sung, Y., "Bandwidth enhancement of a microstrip line-fed printed wide-slot antenna with a parasitic center patch," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., 2012.
8. Xu, K., Z. Zhu, H. Li, J. Huangfu, C. Li, and L. Ran, "A printed single-layer UWB monopole antenna with extended ground plane stubs," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., 2013.
9. Dastranj, A. and F. Bahmanzadeh, "A compact UWB antenna design using rounded inverted L-shaped slots and beveled asymmetrical patch," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 80, 131-140, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC17111702
10. Siddiqui, J. Y., C. Saha, and Y. M. M. Antar, "A novel ultrawideband (UWB) printed antenna with a dual complementary characteristic," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., 2015.
11. Sahoo, S., M. N. Mohanty, and L. P. Mishra, "Bandwidth improvement of compact planar antenna for UWB application with dual notch band performance using parasitic resonant structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 29-39, 2018.
12. Ram Krishna, R. V. S. and R. Kumar, "Slotted ground microstrip antenna with FSS reflector for high-gain horizontal polarisation," Electron. Lett., 2015.
13. Yahya, R., A. Nakamura, M. Itami, and T. A. Denidni, "A novel UWB FSS-based polarization diversity antenna," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., 2017.
14. Kundu, S., A. Chatterjee, S. K. Jana, and S. K. Parui, "A compact umbrella-shaped UWB antenna with gain augmentation using frequency selective surface," Radioengineering, 2018.
15. Ranga, Y., K. P. Esselle, L. Matekovits, and S. G. Hay, "Increasing the gain of a semicircular slot UWB antenna using an FSS reflector," Proceedings of the 2012 IEEE-APS Topical Conference on Antennas and Propagation in Wireless Communications, APWC’12, 2012.
16. Majidzadeh, M., C. Ghobadi, and J. Nourinia, "Novel single layer reconfigurable frequency selective surface with UWB and multi-band modes of operation," AEU --- Int. J. Electron. Commun., 2016.
17. Ranga, Y., L. Matekovits, K. P. Esselle, and A. R. Weily, "Multioctave frequency selective surface reflector for ultrawideband antennas," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., 2011.
18. Hussain, T., Q. Cao, J. K. Kayani, and I. Majid, "Miniaturization of frequency selective surfaces using 2.5-D Knitted structures: Design and synthesis," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., 2017.
19. Saleem, R., M. Bilal, T. Shabbir, and M. F. Shafique, "An FSS-employed UWB antenna system for high-gain portable devices," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., 2019.
20. Mondal, K., D. Chanda Sarkar, and P. P. Sarkar, "5 × 5 matrix patch type frequency selective surface based miniaturized enhanced gain broadband microstrip antenna for WLAN/WiMAX/ISM band applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 89, 207-219, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERC18110803
21. Kundu, S., A. Chatterjee, S. K. Jana, and S. K. Parui, "A high gain dual notch compact UWB antenna with minimal dispersion for ground penetrating radar application," Radioengineering, 2018.
22. Baena, J. D., et al. "Equivalent-circuit models for split-ring resonators and complementary splitring resonators coupled to planar transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 4II, 1451-1460, 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.845211
23. Ouedraogo, R. O., S. M. Ellison, J. L. Frasch, P. Chahal, and E. J. Rothwell, "Analysis of the Nicolson-Ross-Weir method for characterizing the electromagnetic properties of engineered materials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 157, 31-47, 2016.
24. Numan, A. B. and M. S. Sharawi, "Extraction of material parameters for metamaterials using a full-wave simulator [education column]," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., 2013.
25. Samson Daniel, R., R. Pandeeswari, and S. Raghavan, "Offset-fed complementary split ring resonators loaded monopole antenna for multiband operations," AEU --- Int. J. Electron. Commun., 2017.
26. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, 2001.
27. Langley, R. J. and E. A. Parker, "Equivalent circuit model for arrays of square loops," Electron. Lett., 1982.
28. Kushwaha, N. and R. Kumar, "High gain UWB antenna using compact multilayer FSS," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave and RF Conference 2014, IMaRC 2014 --- Collocated with Intemational Symposium on Microwaves, ISM 2014, 2015.
29. Pozar, D. M. and B. Kaufman, "Comparison of three methods for the measurement of printed antenna efficiency," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., 1988.
30. Quintero, G., J. F. Zurcher, and A. K. Skrivervik, "System fidelity factor: A new method for comparing UWB antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., 2011.