This paper describes the measurement of a driver's instantaneous heart rate corresponding to R-R interval in electrocardiogram and heart-rate variability (HRV) using 24 GHz radar reflectometers. Elimination of the spurious component due to random movement of a driver has been the most difficult problem for microwave measurement. Auto-gain control of the receiver, template matching and cross-correlation technique among multiple reflectometers enable motion artifact elimination, signal peak detection, and data processing for various parameters. The measurement of vital signals is considered useful for predicting the change in a driver's state, such as a heart attack as well as detecting drowsy driving, drunk driving, and fatigue.
"Non-Contact and Non-Invasive Driver's Monitor Using Microwave Reflectometer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 90, 81-88, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERM20010103
2. Pedersen, P. C., C. C. Johnson, C. H. Durney, and D. G. Bragg, "An investigation of the use of microwave radiation for pulmonary diagnostics," IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng., Vol. 23, 410, 1976. doi:10.1109/TBME.1976.324653
3. Griffin, D. W., "MW interferometers for biological studies," Microwave J., Vol. 21, 69, 1987.
4. Lin, J. C., J. Kiernicki, M. Kiernicki, and P. B. Wollschlaeger, "Microwave apexcardiography," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 27, 618, 1979. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1979.1129682
5. Chen, K.-M., D. Misra, H. Wang, H.-R. Chuang, and E. Postow, "An X-band microwave life-detection system," IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng., Vol. 33, 697, 1986. doi:10.1109/TBME.1986.325760
6. Mase, A., Y. Kogi, D. Kuwahara, Y. Nagayama, N. Ito, T. Maruyama, H. Ikezi, X. Wang, M. Inutake, T. Tokuzawa, J. Kohagura, M. Yoshikawa, S. Shinohara, A. Suzuki, F. Sakai, M. Yamashika, B. J. Tobias, C. Muscatello, X. Ren, M. Chen, C. W. Domier, N. C. Luhmann, and Jr., "Development and application of radar reflectometer using micro to infrared waves," Advances in Physics: X, Vol. 3, 633, 2018. doi:10.1080/23746149.2018.1472529
7. Task force of the European Society of Cardiology and the North American Society of Pacing and Electrophysiology, "Heart rate variability, standards of measurement, physiological interpretation, and clinical use," Circulation, Vol. 93, 1043, 1996. doi:10.1161/01.CIR.93.5.1043
8. Wiklund, U., M. Akay, and U. Niklasson, "Short-term analysis of heart-rate variability of adapted wavelet transforms," IEEE Eng. Med. Biol. Mag., Vol. 16, 113, 1997. doi:10.1109/51.620502
9. Duvnjaek, L., S. Vuckovic, N. Car, and Z. Metelko, "Relationship between autonomic function, 24-h blood pressure, and albuminuria in normotensive, normoalbuminuric patients with Type 1 diabetes," J. Diabetes Complications, Vol. 15, 314, 2001. doi:10.1016/S1056-8727(01)00164-7
10. Takada, M., T. Ebara, and Y. Sakaki, "The acceleration plethysmography system as a new physiological technology for evaluating autonomic modulations," Health Eval. Promot., Vol. 35, 373, 2008. doi:10.7143/jhep.35.373
11. Suzuki, S., T. Matsui, H. Imuta, M. Uenoyama, H. Yura, M. Ishihara, and M. Kawakami, "A novel autonomic activation measurement method for stress monitoring: non-contact measurement of heart rate variability using a compact microwave radar," Med. Biol. Eng. Comput., Vol. 46, 709, 2008. doi:10.1007/s11517-007-0298-3
12. Maruyama, T., S. Yasuda, and A. Mase, "Heart rate variability analysis of human volunteers under noncontact, noninvasive and clothed condition using microwave reflectometry: feasibility study," J. Electrocardiology, Vol. 35, 133, 2015 (in Japanese). doi:10.5105/jse.35.133
13. Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications (MIC), The Radio Use Web Site, , https://www.tele.soumu.go.jp/j/adm/system/ml/small/index.htm.
14. Nagae, D. and A. Mase, "Measurement of heart rate variability and stress evaluation by using microwave reflectometric vital signal sensing," Rev. Sci. Instrum., Vol. 81, 094301/1-10, 2010. doi:10.1063/1.3478017
15. Mase, A. and D. Nagae, "System for measuring a peak frequency of a signal for analyzing condition of a subject,", US Patent, 9186079, 2015.