In this paper, a design of a low profile cavity backed antenna consisting of bilateral slots is developed for generating two frequencies. Here, the whole antenna including substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) cavity is constructed from only one substrate with the height of 0.026λ0. The long transversal slot at the ground plane is excited by TE210 mode of the cavity and produces one hybrid mode resonance at 9.85 GHz. When the short transversal slot cut is incorporated in the top portion of the cavity, TE310 mode is perturbed, which results in generating an additional hybrid mode resonance at 14 GHz. Both these hybrid modes help to create a dual-band response. A sample of the proposed design is fabricated, and it has been verified experimentally that the bandwidths of the proposed design are 530 MHz (5.48%) and 440 MHz (3.15%) at lower and higher resonant frequencies, respectively. The antenna renders measured peak gains of 6.62 dBi and 6.44 dBi at 9.85 GHz and 14 GHz, respectively. The cross-polarization level of maximum -20 dB and same polarization planes are obtained at both the operating frequencies.
"Dual-Band Low Profile SIW Cavity-Backed Antenna by Using Bilateral Slots," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 100, 263-273, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERC20021201
1. Yoshimura, Y., "A microstrip slot antenna," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 20, No. 11, 760-762, Nov. 1972. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1972.1127868
2. Chem, J. S., "Dual-frequency annular-ring slot antennas fed by CPWfeed and microstrip line feed," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 1, 569-571, Jan. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.838799
3. Omar, A. A., M. C. Scardelleti, Z. M. Hejazi, and N. Dib, "Design and measurement of self-matched dual-frequency coplanar waveguide-fed-slot antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 1, 569-571, Jan. 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.888475
4. Chen, Z. and Z. Shen, "A conformal cavity-backed supergain slot antenna," IEEE Antennas Propag. Society Int. Symposium (APSURSI), 1288-1289, Sep. 2014. doi:10.1109/APS.2014.6904971
5. Deslandes, D. and K. Wu, "Integrated microstrip and rectangular waveguide in planar form," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 11, No. 2, 68-70, Feb. 2001. doi:10.1109/7260.914305
6. Bozzi, M., A. Geordiadis, and K. Wu, "Review of substrate-integrated waveguide circuits and antennas," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 5, No. 8, 909-920, 2011. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2010.0463
7. Luo, G. Q., Z. F. Hu, L. X. Dong, and L. L. Sun, "Planar slot antenna backed by substrate integrated waveguide cavity," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, No. 8, 236-239, Aug. 2008.
8. Bohorquez, J. C., H. A. F. Pedraza, et al. "Planar substrate integrated waveguide cavity-backed antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1139-1142, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2034399
9. Lacik, J., T. Mikulasek, Z. Raida, and T. Urbanec, "Substrate integrated waveguide monopolar ring-slot antenna," Microwave & Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, No. 8, 1865-1869, Aug. 2014. doi:10.1002/mop.28465
10. Mukherjee, S., A. Biswas, and K. V. Srivastava, "Bandwidth enhancement of substrate integrated waveguide cavity backed slot antenna by offset feeding technique," IEEE Applied Electromagnetics. Conf. (AEMC), Dec. 2013.
11. Luo, G. Q., Z. F. Hu, Y. Liang, et al. "Development of low profile cavity backed crossed slot antennas for planar integration," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 10, 2972-2979, Oct. 2009.
12. Srivastava, A., R. K. Chaudhary, A. Biswas, and M. J. Akhtar, "Dual-band L-shaped SIW slot antenna," Int. Conference on Microwave and Photonics (ICMAP), 2013.
13. Mukherjee, S., K. V. Srivastava, and A. Biswas, "Implementation of dual-frequency longitudinal slot array antenna on substrate integrated waveguide at X-band," Proc. of Eur. Microw. Conf. (EuMC), 195-198, Oct. 2013.
14. Mukherjee, S., A. Biswas, and K. V. Srivastava, "Substrate integrated waveguide cavity backed dumbbell-shaped slot antenna for dual frequency operation," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 1314-1317, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2384018
15. Mukherjee, S., A. Biswas, and K. V. Srivastava, "Substrate integrated waveguide cavity backed slot antenna for dual-frequency application," IEEE Eur. Microw. Conf. (EuMC), 57-60, Oct. 2014.
16. Zhang, T., W. Hong, Y. Zhang, and K. Wu, "Design and analysis of SIW cavity backed dual-band antennas with a dual-mode triangular ring slot," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 10, 5007-5016, Oct. 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2345581
17. Nandi, S. and A. Mohan, "Bowtie slotted dual-band SIW antenna," Microwave & Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 10, 2303-2308, Oct. 2016. doi:10.1002/mop.30035
18. Honari, M. M., R. Mirzavand, H. Saghlatoon, and P. Mousavi, "A dual-band low profile aperture antenna with substrate integrated waveguide grooves," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 4, 1561-1566, Apr. 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2526610
19. Niu, B. J., J. H. Tan, and C. L. He, "SIW cavity-backed dual-band antenna with good stopband characteristics," IET Electron. Lett., Vol. 54, No. 22, 1259-1260, 2018. doi:10.1049/el.2018.6681
20. Xu, F. and K. Wu, "Guided-wave and leakage characteristics of substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 1, 66-73, Jan. 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2004.839303
21. Wu, Q., J. Yin, et al. "Broadband planar SIW cavity-backed slot antennas aided by unbalanced shorting vias," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 2, 363-367, 2019. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2019.2891108