A novel compact patch antenna with Defected Ground structure (DGS) operating for Wireless applications is proposed and investigated. This proposed antenna generates four separate resonances to cover 3.271 GHz (WiMax), 4.92 GHz (WiFi), 6.35 GHz (Space applications) and 11.04 GHz (Fixed Satellite applications) while maintaining overall compact size of 32 × 32 × 1.6 mm3 using an FR-4 substrate commonly available with a permittivity of εr = 4.4. The proposed microstrip patch antenna (MSPA) consists of a square radiator in which a Log Periodic slot is etched out along with square defects on ground surface and a microstrip feed line. The log periodic slot with DGS modifies the total current path thereby making the antenna operate at five useful bands. Structure displays the impedance bandwidth of 8.34% (3.10-3.37 GHz), 2.00% (4.88-4.98 GHz), 14.68% (6.27-7.194 GHz), and 5.41% (10.79-11.39 GHz) with gains 3.25 dB, 0.85 dB, 5.65 dB and 4.47 dB respectively. The antenna performance is analyzed using numerous parametric optimization studies, field distributions, and currents. Excellent agreement is obtained between measured and simulated results.
Bondili Siva Hari Prasad,
Mokkapat Venkata Prasad,
"Design and Analysis of Compact Periodic Slot Multiband Antenna with Defected Ground Structure for Wireless Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 93, 77-87, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERM20032605
1. Sharma, S. K., S. Rao, and L. Shafia, Handbook of Reflector Antennas and Feed Systems, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2013.
2. Carver, K. and J. Mink, "Microstrip antenna technology," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 29, No. 1, 2-24, 1981. doi:10.1109/TAP.1981.1142523
3. Kaushal, D., T. Shanmuganantham, and K. Sajith, "Dual band characteristics in a microstrip rectangular patch antenna using novel slotting technique," International Conference on Intelligent Computing, Instrumentation and Control Technologies, 2017.
4. Jose, J. V. and A. Shobha Rekh, "Emerging trends in high gain antennas for wireless communication," IEEE International Conference on Innovations in Electrical Electronics, Instrumentation and Media Technology, 2017.
5. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory, Analysis and Design, 2nd Ed., John Wiley & Sons Inc., 1997.
6. Ur Rahman, S., Q. Cao, I. Hussain, H. Khalil, M. Zeeshan, and W. Nazar, "Design of rectangular patch antenna array for 5G wireless communication," 2017 Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium - Spring (PIERS), 1564-1568, St Petersburg, Russia, May 22-25, 2017.
7. Gonzalo, R., P. De Maagt, and M. Sorolla, "Enhanced patch-antenna performance by suppressing surface waves using photonic-bandgap substrates," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 11, 2131-2138, 1999. doi:10.1109/22.798009
8. Abhishek, K., R. Sharma, and S. Kumar, "Bandwidth enhancement using Z-shaped defected ground structure for a microstrip antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, 2251-2254, 2013.
9. Singh, G., R. Rajni, and R. S. Momi, "Microstrip patch antenna with defected ground structure for bandwidth enhancement," International Journal of Computer Applications, Vol. 73, No. 9, 14-18, 2013. doi:10.5120/12769-9759
10. Weng, L. H., Y. C. Guo, X. W. Shi, and X. Q. Chen, "An overview on defected ground structure," Electromagnetic Research B, Vol. 7, 173-189, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08031401
11. Mandal, K. and P. P. Sarkar, "A compact low profile wideband U-shape antenna with slotted circular ground plane," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 70, No. 3, 336-340, 2016. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2015.12.011
12. Mondal, T., S. Samantha, R. Ghatak, and S. R. Bhadra Chaudhuri, "A novel tri-band hexagonal microstrip patch antenna using Sierpinski fractal for vehicular communication," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 57, 25-34, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERC15021105
13. Rakesh Kumar, P., K. Satya Prasad, and A. Guruva Reddy, "Dual polygonal slit square patch with defected ground plane for tri band operation," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 59, No. 5, 1071-1074, 2017. doi:10.1002/mop.30457
14. Khaleel, A. D., A. A. T. Rahem, M. F. bin Mansor, and C. K. Chakrabarty, "Design tri-band rectangular patch antenna for Wi-Fi, Wi-Max and WLAN in military band applications with radiation pattern suppression," Research Journal of Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology, Vol. 10, 1445-1448, 2015. doi:10.19026/rjaset.10.1847
15. Garba, M. S., "Design of tri-band Z-shaped patch antenna for WLAN and WiMAX applications," International Journal of Research in Electronics and Communication Technology, Vol. 2, No. 4, 2015.
16. Rhazi, Y., O. El Bakkali, and Y. El Merabet, "Novel design of multiband microstrip patch antenna for wireless communication," Advances in Science, Technology and Engineering Systems Journal, Vol. 4, No. 3, 63-68, 2019. doi:10.25046/aj040310
17. Khan, I., D. Geetha, K. R. Sudhindra, T. Ali, and R. C. Biradar, "A frequency reconfigurable antenna loaded with H-shaped radiators for WLAN/WiMAX applications," International Journal of Applied Engineering Research, Vol. 13, No. 10, 8583-8587, 2018.
18. Ali, T., S. A. W. Mohammad, and R. C. Biradar, "A novel metamaterial rectangular CSRR with pass band characteristics at 2.95 and 5.23 GHz," 2nd IEEE International Conference on Recent Trends in Electronics, Information & Communication Technology, 2017.
19. Kiani, S. H., S. S. Qureshi, K. Mahmood, M. Munir, and S. N. Khan, "Tri-band fractal patch antenna for GSM and satellite communication systems," International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications, Vol. 7, No. 10, 2016.
20. Tajane, S. B., S. R. Gagare, and R. P. Labade, "Design of triple band microstrip patch antenna for WLAN and WiMAX applications," International Journal of Recent Trends in Engineering & Research, Vol. 2, No. 6, June 2016.
21. Ali, T. and R. C. Biradar, "A compact multiband antenna using λ/4 rectangular stub loaded with metamaterial for IEEE 802.11 N and IEEE 802.16 E," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 59, No. 5, 1000-1006, 2017. doi:10.1002/mop.30454
22. Ali, T. and R. C. Biradar, "A triple band highly miniaturized antenna for WiMAX/WLAN applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, No. 2, 466-471, 2018. doi:10.1002/mop.30993
23. Ali, T., M. M. Khaleeq, and R. C. Biradar, "A multiband reconfigurable slot antenna for wireless applications," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 84, 273-280, 2018. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2017.11.033
24. Sami, G., M. Mohanna, and M. L. Rabeh, "Tri-band microstrip antenna design for wireless communication applications," NRIAG Journal of Astronomy and Geophysics, Vol. 2, 39-44, 2013. doi:10.1016/j.nrjag.2013.06.007
25. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, 2nd Ed., Artech House, Canton, MA, 2001.