This paper presents a new multi-band stopband filter loaded by a shorted metamaterial circuit. Firstly, two filters loaded by stubs and open ring resonators (ORRs) are studied and compared. The ORRs allow more effects in terms of miniaturization by a shifting toward low frequencies and rejection bandwidth (57.34%). To improve the filter efficiency, coupled split ring resonators (SRRs) are used. The final filter is characterized by a miniaturized size of 18.8 x 40 mm2, wide rejection bandwidth, high selectivity level and multiple resonances over S, C, X and Ku bands. L-C equivalent circuit model filter and other characteristics are investigated. A prototype of the filter with coupled SRRs has been fabricated and measured. Good matching among EM-simulation, equivalent circuit modelling, and measured results are achieved.
1. Zhang, X. Y. and Q. Xue, "Novel dual-mode dual-band filters using coplanar-waveguide-fed ring resonators," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 10, 2183-2190, Oct. 2007. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.906501
2. Miyake, H., S. Kitazawa, T. Ishizaki, T. Yamanda, and Y. Nagatomi, "A miniaturized monolithic dual-band filter using ceramic lamination technique for dual-mode portable telephones," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., Vol. 2, 789-792, 1997.
3. Ait Ahmed, B., A. Naghar, O. Aghzout, A. Vazquez Alejos, and F. Falcone, "A compact wide bandpass filter for satellite communications with improved out-of-band rejection," AEM, Vol. 9, No. 1, 59-64, Mar. 2020. doi:10.7716/aem.v9i1.1323
8. Luo, S., L. Zhu, and S. Sun, "Compact dual-mode triple-band bandpass filters using three pairs of degenerate modes in a ring resonator," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 59, No. 5, 1222-1229, May 2011. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2011.2123106
9. Mondal, P. and M. K. Mandal, "Design of dual-band bandpass filters using stub-loaded open-loop resonators," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 1, 150-155, Jan. 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.912204
10. Chu, Q.-X., F.-C. Chen, Z.-H. Tu, and H. Wang, "A novel crossed resonator and its applications to bandpass filters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 7, 1753-1759, Jul. 2009.
11. Singh, P. K., S. Basu, and Y.-H. Wang, "Miniature dual-band filter using quarter wavelength stepped impedance resonators," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 2, 88-90, Feb. 2008. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2007.915032
12. Tseng, C.-H. and H.-Y. Shao, "A new dual-band microstrip bandpass filter using net-type resonators," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 4, 196-198, Apr. 2010. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2010.2042549
13. Hsu, C.-I. G., C.-H. Lee, and Y.-H. Hsieh, "Tri-band bandpass filter with sharp passband skirts designed using tri-section SIRs," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 1, 19-21, Jan. 2008. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2007.911976
15. Lai, X., C.-H. Liang, H. Di, and B. Wu, "Design of tri-band filter based on stub loaded resonator and DGS resonator," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 5, 265-267, May 2010. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2010.2045584
16. Zhou, M., X. Tang, and F. Xiao, "Compact dual band transversal bandpass filter with multiple transmission zeros and controllable bandwidths," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 6, 347-349, Jun. 2009. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2009.2020007
17. Zhang, X. Y., Q. Xue, and B. J. Hu, "Planar tri-band bandpass filter with compact size," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 5, 262-264, May 2010. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2010.2045583
18. Naghar, A., O. Aghzout, A. V. Alejos, and F. Falcone, "Synthesis design of bandpass filter for UWB applications with improved selectivity," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal, Vol. 31, No. 1, 8-13, Jan. 2016.
19. Naghar, A., et al., "Ultra-wideband and tri-band antennas for satellite applications at C-, X-, and Ku bands," Proceedings of 2014 Mediterranean Microwave Symposium (MMS2014), 1-5, Marrakech, 2014.
20. Necibi, O., Ch. Guesmi, and A. Gharsallah, "Design of a chipless rfid tag encoded in polarization," International Journal of Scientific and Technology Research, Vol. 8, No. 11, Nov. 2019.
21. Sydoruk, O., E. Tatartschuk, E. Shamonina, and L. Solymar, "Analytical formulation for the resonant frequency of split rings," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 105, 014903, 2009. doi:10.1063/1.3056052
22. Naghar, A., et al., "Ultra-wideband and tri-band antennas for satellite applications at C-, X-, and Ku bands," Proceedings of 2014 Mediterranean Microwave Symposium (MMS2014), 1-5, Marrakech, 2014.
23. Worapishet, A., K. Srisathit, and W. Surakampontorn, "Stepped-impedance coupled resonators for implementation of parallel coupled microstrip filters with spurious band suppression," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 60, No. 6, 1540-1548, Jun. 2012. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2012.2190743
24. Sonasang, S. and R. Phromloungsri, "Improvement of microstrip band pass filter harmonic spurious suppression performance using band stop filter feed lines," Kasem Bundit Engineering Journal, Vol. 8, Special Issue, May 2018.
25. Shenbagadevi, V. and K. Annaram, "Design and development of harmonics free microstrip bandstop resonator using complementary split ring resonator," Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, Vol. 7, No. 4, 745-749, 2013.