This paper presents a fifth-generation (5G) wireless smart antenna for performing both power substation communication (in space domain beam-steering) and electrostatic discharge (in time domain Ultra-high Frequency ``UHF'' impulse) detection. The same smart antenna used to communicate with other wireless antennas in the switchyard, as well as with the control room is utilized to cyclically gather data from power apparatus, busbars and switches where electrostatic discharge (ESD) may occur. The ESD poses a major threat to electrical safety and lifetime of the apparatus as well as the stability of the power system. The same smart antenna on which beam rotation in space-domain is designed by implementing an artificial neural network (ANN) is also trained in time-domain to identify any of the received signals matching the ultra-high frequency band electrostatic discharge pulses that may be superimposed on the power frequency electric current. The proposed system of electrostatic discharge detection is tested for electrostatic pulses empirically simulated and represented in a trigonometric form for the training of the Perceptron Neural model. The working of the system is demonstrated for electrostatic discharge pulses with rising times of the order of one nanosecond. The artificial intelligence system driving the 5G smart antenna performs the dual role of beam steering for 5G wireless communication (operating in the space domain) and for picking up any ESD generated UHF pulses from any one of the apparatus or nearby lightning leaders (operating in the time domain).
Lorothy Morrison SingkangKismet Anak Hong PingHerman KunseiKumarasamy SenthilkumarKandasamy PirapaharanAhmed M. A. HaidarPaul Ratnamahilan Polycarp Hoole
, "Model Based-Testing of Spatial and Time Domain Artificial Intelligence Smart Antenna for Ultra-High Frequency Electric Discharge Detection in Digital Power Substations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 99, 91-101, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERM20090301 http://www.jpier.org/PIERM/pier.php?paper=20090301
1. Buhagiar, T., J.-P. Cayuela, A. Procopiou, and S. Richards, "Poste intelligent-the next generation smart substation for the french power grid,", 1-4, 2016.
2. Osseiran, A., J. F. Monserrat, and P. Marsch, 5G Mobile and Wireless Communications Technology Wireless Communications, Cambridge University Press, 2016. doi:10.1166/jctn.2020.8759
3. Singkang, L. M. B., K. A. H. Ping, and P. R. P. Hoole, "Electric discharges localization for substation fault monitoring using two elements sensor," J. Comput. Theor. Nanosci., Vol. 17, No. 2, 1009-1013, Feb. 2020.
4. Singkang, L., H. P. Kismet, and P. R. P. Hoole, "Detection and localization of electric discharges in indoor substation for fault monitoring," Sci. Proceeding Ser., Vol. 1, No. 2, 94-96, 2019.
5. Senthilkumar, K. S., K. Pirapaharan, and R. R. Hoole, "Single perceptron model for smart beam forming in array antennas," Int. J. Electr. Comput. Eng., Vol. 6, No. 5, 2300-2309, Oct. 2016.
6. Gohil, N. J., P. Kundu, and A. Chowdhury, "Partial discharge source localization using UHF sensors," 2017 3rd International Conference on Condition Assessment Techniques in Electrical Systems, CATCON 2017 - Proceedings, Vol. 2018, 208-211, Janua, 2018.
7. Yaacob, M. M., M. A. Alsaedi, A. Al Gizi, and N. Zareen, "Partial discharge signal detection using ultra high frequency method in high voltage power equipments: A review," Int. J. Sci. Eng. Res., Vol. 4, No. 1, 2013. doi:10.1109/MEI.2015.7303259
8. Wu, M., H. Cao, J. Cao, H. L. Nguyen, J. B. Gomes, and S. P. Krishnaswamy, "An overview of state-of-the-art partial discharge analysis techniques for condition monitoring," IEEE Electr. Insul. Mag., Vol. 31, No. 6, 22-35, Nov. 2015.
9. Alkadi, R., et al., "Smart antenna-based partial discharge detection and classification system," Mediterr. Microw. Symp., 1-4, Jul. 2016. doi:10.2528/PIER13102103
10. Cai, Z. L., R. H. Wilkinson, and A. Bojovschi, "Partial discharge detection approach for a medium voltage switchgear system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 144, 221-228, 2014.
11. Robles, G., R. Albarracín, and J. L. Vázquez, "Antennas in partial discharge sensing system," Handbook of Antenna Technologies, Vol. 3, 2419-2474, Springer, Singapore, 2016.
12. Dewi, P., A. Aziz, M. Izhar, A. Bakar, N. H. Jabarullah, and Y. Z. Arief, "Partial discharge detection method and pattern recognition using fast fourier transform and wavelet analysis," Sci. Int., Vol. 29, No. 5, 1099-1104, Lahore, 2017. doi:10.1109/ICLP.2014.6973170
13. Hoole, P. R., K. Pirapaharan, M. Kavi, J. Fisher, N. F. Aziz, and S. R. H. Hoole, "Intelligent localisation of signals using the signal wavefronts: A review," 2014 International Conference on Lightning Protection, ICLP 2014, 474-479, 2014.
14. Dubrov, G. K., V. I. Oganyan, R. G. Narakidze, and N. D. Aleksanyan, "On the mathematical simulation of digital substation technological processes," J. Eng. Appl. Sci., Vol. 2, No. 12, 276-282, 2017.
16. Hoole, P. R. P., N. F. Aziz, V. Ganapathy, J. Ganeshan, H. Ramiah, and S. R. H. Hoole, "Aircraft mounted neural network electrostatic discharge (ESD) location," Materials Science Forum, Vol. 721, 331-336, 2012.
17. Hoole, P. R. P., Smart Antennas and Signal Processing for Communications, Biomedical, and Radar Systems, 38-83, WIT Press, 2001.
18. Pirapaharan, S. R. H., K. Kunsei, H. Senthilkumar, K. Hoole, and P. R. P. Hoole, "A single beam smart antenna for wireless communication in a highly re°ective and narrow environment," Int. Symp. Fundam. Electr. Eng., 1-5, 2016.
19. Pirapaharan, K. H. K., "A single beam smart antenna for wireless communication in a highly reflective and narrow environment," Int. Symp. Fundam. Electr. Eng., IEEE, 1-5, 2016. doi:10.1016/j.jclepro.2020.122777
20. Ullah, T. A. S., A. M. Haidar, P. Hoole, and H. Zen, "The current state of distributed renewable generation, challenges of interconnection and opportunities for energy conversion based DC microgrids," J. Clean. Prod., 122777, 2020.