This manuscript presents the design of an antenna based on nested square shaped ring fractal geometry with circular ring elements for multi-band wireless applications. The impedance bandwidth and reflection coefficient of the antenna are improved with the design of different iterations from the 0th to 2nd. The performance parameters of the antenna like reflection coefficient, VSWR, bandwidth, bandwidth ratio and current density are improved in the final iteration. It also achieves the enhanced bandwidth greater than 3 GHz at three resonant frequency bands and exhibits additional frequency band at 2.4 GHz. Likewise, the frequency band of designed fractal antenna shifts towards the lower end and helps in achieving the miniaturization of antenna. The proposed fractal antenna is designed and fabricated on a low-cost FR4 glass epoxy substrate and investigated using HFSS software. The proposed antenna is optimized for generating different parameters, and the last geometry is fabricated and tested. Further, these parameters are compared with the experimental results and found in good agreement with each other. Due to the multi-band behaviour and improved bandwidth, the proposed fractal antenna can be considered as a good candidate for several wireless standards.
1. Sharma, N. and V. Sharma, "A journey of antenna from dipole to fractal: A review," Int. J. Engg. Techno., Vol. 6, 317-351, 2017.
2. Sharma, N. and S.-S. Bhatia, "Performance enhancement of nested hexagonal ring-shaped compact multiband integrated wideband fractal antennas for wireless applications," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Engg., Vol. 30, No. 3, e22079, 2019.
3. Bhatia, S.-S. and J.-S. Sivia, "On the design of fractal antenna array for multiband applications," J. Inst. Engg. India Ser. B, Vol. 100, 471-476, 2019. doi:10.1007/s40031-019-00409-9
4. Sivia, J.-S. and S.-S. Bhatia, Design of fractal based microstrip rectangular patch antenna for multiband applications, 2015, 10.1109/IADCC.2015.7154799.
5. Bhatia, S.-S. and J.-S. Sivia, "Analysis and design of circular fractal antenna array for multiband applications," Int. J. Inf. Techn., Vol. 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s41870-018-0186-0.
6. Bhatia, S.-S., J.-S. Sivia, and N. Sharma, "An optimal design of fractal antenna with modified ground plane structure for wideband applications," Wireless Pers. Commun., Vol. 103, 1977-1991, 2018. doi:10.1007/s11277-018-5891-2
7. Thi, T.-N., S.-T. Van, G. Kwon, and K.-C. Hwang, "Single feed triple band circularly polarized spidron fractal slot antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 143, 207-221, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13090501
8. Lizzi, L., R. Azaro, G. Oliveri, and A. Massa, "Multiband fractal antenna for wireless communication system for emergency management," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 1, 1-11, 2012. doi:10.1163/156939312798954865
9. Gupta, M., V. Mathur, A. Kumar, V. Saxena, and D. Bhatnagar, "Microstrip hexagonal fractal antenna for military applications," DE GRUYTER Frequenz, Vol. 73, No. 9–10, 321-330, 2019. doi:10.1515/freq-2019-0028
10. Singhal, S., J. Budania, and A.-K. Singh, "Elliptical monopole based super wideband fractal antenna," Micro. Opt. Technol. Lett., 1-5, 2019.
11. Barreto, E.-L. and L.-M. Mendonca, "A new triple band microstrip fractal antenna for C-band and S-band applications," J. of Microw., Optoelect. and Electromag. App., Vol. 15, No. 3, 210-224, 2016. doi:10.1590/2179-10742016v15i3543
12. Dastranj, A., F. Ranjbar, and M. Bornapour, "A new compact circular shaped fractal antenna for broadband wireless communication applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 93, 19-28, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERC19031001
13. Salucci, M., N. Anselmi, S. Goudos, and A. Massa, "fast design of multiband fractal antennas through system by system approach for NB-IoT applications," EURASIP J. on Wirel. Commun. and Netw., Vol. 68, 1-15, 2019.
14. Yogamathi, R., S. Banu, and A. Vishwapriya, "Design of fractal antenna for multiband applications," 4th Int. Conf. on Comput., Commun. and Netw. Technol., 2013, 10.1109/ICCCNT. 2013.6726787.
15. Sidhu, S.-K. and J.-S. Sivia, "Design of a novel fractal antenna for wireless applications," Int. Conf. on Wirel. Commun., Sig. Proces. and Netw., 2016, 10.1109/WiSPNET.2016.7566129.
16. Kaur, N., J. Singh, and M. Kumar, "Hexagonal ring-shaped dual band antenna using staircase fractal geometry for wireless applications," Wirel. Person. Commun., Vol. 113, 2067-2078, 2020. doi:10.1007/s11277-020-07307-0
17. Rahman, M., M. Nagshvarian Jahromi, S. S. Mirjavadi, and A. M. Hamouda, "Compact UWB band-notched antenna with integrated bluetooth for personal wireless communication and UWB applications," Electronics, Vol. 8, No. 2, 158, 2019. doi:10.3390/electronics8020158
18. Khan, T. and M. Rahman, "Design of low-profile frequency reconfigurable antenna for multiband applications," International Journal of Electronics Letters, 2020.
19. Ahmad, H., W. Zaman, M. Rahman, and F. C. Seman, "The smallest form factor monopole antenna with meandered radiator for WLAN and WiMAX applications," IETE Journal of Research, 2020.
20. Rahman, M., A. Haider, and M. Naghshvarianjahromi, "A systematic methodology for the time-domain ringing reduction in UWB band-notched antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 19, No. 3, 482-486, March 2020. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2020.2972025
21. Khan, T., M. Rahman, A. Akram, Y. Amin, and H. Tenhunen, "A low-cost CPW-fed multiband frequency reconfigurable antenna for wireless applications," Electronics, Vol. 8, No. 8, 900, 2019. doi:10.3390/electronics8080900
22. Pandeeswari, R. and S. Raghavan, "A CPW-fed triple band OCSRR embedded monopole antenna with modified ground for WLAN and WIMAX applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, 2413-2418, 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.29352
23. Ahmad, B. H. and H. Nornikman, "Fractal microstrip antenna with Minkowski Island split ring resonator for broadband application," IEEE Int. RF and Microwave Conf. (RFM), 214-218, Penang, 2013.
24. Dangkham, P. and C. Phongcharoenpanich, "A compact split ring resonator antenna of paper based for UHF-RFID passive tag," IEEE Conf. on Ant. and App. Meas. and App., 2016.
25. Sharma, V., N. Lakwar, N. Kumar, and T. Garg, "A multiband low-cost fractal antenna based on parasitic split ring resonators," IET Micro. Ant. and Propag., Vol. 12, No. 6, 913-919, 2017. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2017.0623
26. Pandeeswari, R. and S. Raghavan, "Microstrip antenna with complementary split ring resonator loaded ground plane for gain enhancement," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, 292-296, 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.28835
27. Rahimi, M., M. Maleki, M. Soltani, A.-S. Arezomand, and F.-B. Zarrabi, "Wideband SRR-inspired antenna with circular polarization for wireless application," AEU — Int. J. of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 70, No. 9, 1199-1204, 2016. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2016.06.001
28. Rao, M.-V., B.-T.-P. Madhav, T. Anilkumar, and B.-P. Nadh, "Metamaterial inspired quad band circularly polarized antenna for WLAN/ISM/Bluetooth/WiMAX and satellite communication applications," AEU — Int. J. of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 97, 229-241, 2018.
29. Lai, X. Z., Z. M. Xie, Q. Q. Xie, and J. W. Chao, "A SRR-based near field RFID antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 33, 133-134, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC12081902
30. Shehata, G., M. Mohanna, and M. L. Rabeh, "Tri-band small monopole antenna based on SRR units," NRIAG J. of Astronomy and Geophysics, Vol. 4, No. 2, 185-191, 2015. doi:10.1016/j.nrjag.2015.08.003