In this paper, a novel compact single element G-shaped Asymmetric Coplanar Strip (ACS) fed antenna and its four-element printed multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) antenna have been presented with multi-band frequency characteristics. The proposed MIMO antenna has been fabricated on an FR-4 substrate (46 × 46 × 1.6) mm3 with dielectric constant εr = 4.4. The desired isolation between the elements (-18 dB) is achieved by placing the antenna elements orthogonal to each other. Simulated and measured results show that return loss (S11) for the proposed MIMO antenna is less than -10 dB in the operating bands, with frequency ranging 2.30-2.45 GHz, 3.36-3.65 GHz, and 4.53-5.88 GHz, respectively, which ensures its operation in multiple frequency bands. Moreover, these bands are obtained for 2.3 GHz WiBro, LTE and 5G NR to cover B40/B42/N30/N40/N97 together with 3.5 GHz/5 GHz WiMAX/WLAN band applications. Meanwhile, the diversity performance characteristics like ECC (Envelope Correlation Coefficient), MEG (Mean Effective Gain), DG (Diversity Gain), Total Active Reflection Coefficient (TARC), and Channel Capacity Loss (CCL) have been calculated and are presented in this paper. The correlation coefficient is found to be less than 0.001 with a diversity gain greater than 9.95, and an acceptable channel capacity loss is less than 0.4 bits/s/Hz.
"Design and Performance Analysis of g
-Shaped Compact ACS Fed 4-Port MIMO Antenna for Triple Frequency Band Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 112, 55-68, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC21021501
1. Kayabasi, A., A. Toktas, E. Yigit, and K. Sabanci, "Triangular quad-port multi-polarized UWB MIMO antenna with enhanced isolation using neutralization ring," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 85, 47-53, 2018. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2017.12.027
2. Naser-Moghadasi, M., R. Ahmadian, Z. Mansouri, F. B. Zarrabi, and M. Rahimi, "Compact EBG structures for reduction of mutual coupling in patch antenna MIMO arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 53, 145-154, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERC14081603
3. Garg, P. and P. Jain, "Isolation improvement of MIMO antenna using a novel flower shaped metamaterial absorber at 5.5 GHz WiMAX band," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II: Express Briefs, Vol. 67, No. 4, 675-679, 2019. doi:10.1109/TCSII.2019.2925148
4. Khan, M. S., A. D. Capobianco, M. F. Shafique, B. Ijaz, A. Naqvi, and B. D. Braaten, "Isolation enhancement of a wideband MIMO antenna using floating parasitic elements," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 7, 1677-1682, 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.29162
5. Kumar, A. and P. V. Naidu, "A novel compact printed ACS fed dual-band antenna for Bluetooth/WLAN/WiMAX applications," 2016 Progress In Electromagnetic Research Symposium (PIERS), 2000-2003, Shanghai, China, Aug. 8–11, 2016.
6. Raj, R. K., M. Joseph, M. N. Suma, and P. Mohanan, "Compact asymmetric coplanar strip fed monopole antenna for multiband applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 5, 2351-2357, 2007.
7. Kuma, A., et al. "A compact uniplanar ACS fed multi band low cost printed antenna for modern 2.4/3.5/5 GHz applications," Microsystem Technologies, Vol. 24, No. 3, 1413-1422, 2018. doi:10.1007/s00542-017-3556-9
8. Kuma, R., et al. "Simulation, design of compact multi-band microstrip slot antennas for WiMAX/WLAN and UWB applications," Wireless Personal Communication, Vol. 80, No. 3, 1175-1192, 2015. doi:10.1007/s11277-014-2079-2
9. Naid, P. and R. Kumar, "Design of CPW-fed dual-band printed monopole antennas for LTE/WiMAX/WLAN and UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 54, 103-116, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERC14071006
10. Vummadisetty, P. N., et al. "Design of compact octagonal slotted hexagonal and rectangular shaped monopole antennas for dual/UWB application," Turkish Journal of Electrical Engineering & Computer Sciences, Vol. 24, No. 4, 2806-2824, 2016. doi:10.3906/elk-1404-174
11. Malviya, L., M. V. Kartikeyan, and R. K. Panigrahi, "Offset planar MIMO antenna for omnidirectional radiation patterns," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 28, No. 6, e21274, 2018. doi:10.1002/mmce.21274
12. Fang, Q., D. Mi, and Y.-Z. Yin, "A tri-band MIMO antenna for WLAN/WiMAX application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 55, 75-80, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERL15070202
13. Fang, H. S., C. Y. Wu, J. S. Sun, and J. T. Huang, "Design of a compact MIMO antenna with pattern diversity for WLAN application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 59, No. 7, 1692-1697, 2017. doi:10.1002/mop.30616
14. Zou, X., G. Wang, Y. Wang, and B. Zong, "Decoupling of dual-band closely spaced MIMO antennas based on novel coupled resonator structure," Frequenz, Vol. 72, No. 9–10, 437-441, 2018. doi:10.1515/freq-2017-0199
15. Lee, W. W. and Y. S. Cho, "A high-isolation MIMO antenna with dual-feed structure for WiFi of mobile phones," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 59, No. 4, 930-934, 2017. doi:10.1002/mop.30427
16. Huang, H., Y. Liu, and S. X. Gong, "Four antenna MIMO system with compact radiator for mobile terminals," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 6, 1281-1286, 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.29074
17. Khan, M. U. and M. S. Sharawi, "A dual-band microstrip annular slot-based mimo antenna system," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. , No. , 360–364, 2015, Vol. 57, No. 2, 360-364, 2015.
18. See, C. H., R. A. Abd-Alhameed, Z. Z. Abidin, N. J. McEwan, and P. S. Excell, "Wideband printed MIMO/diversity monopole antenna for WiFi/WiMAX applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 4, 2028-2035, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2186247
19. Ghosh, C. K., "A compact 4-channel microstrip MIMO antenna with reduced mutual coupling," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 70, No. 7, 873-879, 2016. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2016.03.018
20. Ling, X. and R. Li, "A novel dual-band MIMO antenna array with low mutual coupling for portable wireless devices," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1039-1042, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2169035
21. Cui, S., Y. Liu, W. Jiang, and S. X. Gong, "Compact dual-band monopole antennas with high port isolation," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, No. 10, 579-580, 2011. doi:10.1049/el.2010.3603
22. Deng, J. Y., Z. J. Wang, J. Y. Li, and L. X. Guo, "A dual-band MIMO antenna decoupled by a meandering line resonator for WLAN applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, No. 3, 759-765, 2018. doi:10.1002/mop.31049
23. Sun, D., P. Wang, P. Gao, and Y. Zhang, "A novel dual-band MIMO antenna with two rings for WIMAX applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 32, No. 3, 274-280, 2018. doi:10.1080/09205071.2017.1377642
24. Addaci, R., A. Diallo, C. Luxey, P. Le Thuc, and R. Staraj, "Dual-band WLAN diversity antenna system with high port-to-port isolation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 244-247, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2188824
25. Liu, Y., M. Liu, F. Xu, J. Xu, and X. Huang, "A novel four-port high isolation MIMO antenna design for high-capacity wireless applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, No. 6, 1476-1481, 2018. doi:10.1002/mop.31189
26. Mohammad-Ali-Nezhad, S. and H. R. Hassani, "A penta-band printed monopole antenna for MIMO applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 241-254, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC18050404
27. Simons, R. N., Coplanar Waveguide Circuits, Components, and Systems, Wiley, Hoboken, 2004.
28. Sharawi, M. S., Printed MIMO Antenna Engineering, Artech House, 2004.
29. Biglieri, E., C. Robert, C. Anthony, et al. MIMO Wireless Communications, Cambridge University Press, 2007.