The problem of direction of arrival (DOA) estimation based on a polarization sensitive array (PSA) is considered in this paper. In the environment of the mixture signal, a novel DOA estimation for both the independent signals and the coherent signals is proposed. The process of estimation is divided into two steps. First, the root-multiple signal classification algorithm is employed to estimate the DOAs of the independent signals. Then, the data covariance matrix which only contains the information of the coherent signals is estimated with improved vector reconstruction technique. Theoretical analysis and simulation results show that the proposed method can expand the array aperture and has small computation load as well as excellent estimation performance.
"DOA Estimation of Mixture Signals Based on the PSA," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 112, 1-10, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC21021502
1. Gong, S., C. Xing, S. Chen, et al. "Polarization sensitive array based physical-layer security," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 67, No. 5, 3964-3981, 2017. doi:10.1109/TVT.2017.2773710
2. Ebihara, S., T. Kuroda, Y. Koresawa, et al. "Improved discrimination of subsurface targets using a polarization-sensitive directional borehole radar," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 54, No. 11, 6429-6443, 2016. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2016.2585178
3. Wang, K., J. He, T. Shu, et al. "Angle-polarization estimation for coherent sources with linear tripole sensor arrays," Sensors, Vol. 16, No. 2, 248, 2016. doi:10.3390/s16020248
4. Wong, K. T., Y. Song, C. J. Fulton, et al. "Electrically “Long” dipoles in a collocated/orthogonal triad — For direction finding and polarization estimation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 11, 6057-6067, 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2748183
5. Yang, D., Z. Zhu, S. Shi, et al. "Direction-of-arrival estimation based on phase modal space for a uniform circular acoustic vector-sensor array," Shengxue Xuebao/acta Acustica, Vol. 39, No. 1, 19-26, 2014.
6. Zheng, G., "Two-dimensional DOA estimation for polarization sensitive array consisted of spatially spread crossed-dipole," IEEE Sensors Journal, 1-1, 2018.
7. Guan, D., C. Ding, Z. Qian, et al. "Broadband high gain SIW cavity-backed circular polarized array antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 4, 1493-1497, 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2521904
8. Miron, S., N. L. Bihan, and J. I. Maes, "High resolution vector-sensor array processing using quaternions," IEEE/SP 13th Workshop on Statistical Signal Processing, 2005.
9. Miron, S., N. L. Bihan, and J. I. Maes, "High resolution vector-sensor array processing based on biquaternions," Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, 1077-1080, 2006.
10. Miron, S., N. L. Bihan, and J. I. Mars, "Quaternion-MUSIC for vector-sensor array processing," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 54, No. 4, 1218-1229, 2006. doi:10.1109/TSP.2006.870630
11. Schutte, H. D. and J. Wenzel, "Hypercomplex numbers in digital signal processing," IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, Vol. 2, 1557-1560, 1990. doi:10.1109/ISCAS.1990.112431
12. Diao, M. and C. L. An, "Direction finding of coexisted independent and coherent signals using electromagnetic vector sensor," Journal of Systems Engineering and Electronics, Vol. 23, No. 4, 481-487, 2012. doi:10.1109/JSEE.2012.00061
13. Molaei, A. M., B. Zakeri, and S. Andargoli, "Two-dimensional DOA estimation for multipath environments by accurate separation of signals using K-medoids clustering," IET Communications, Vol. 13, No. 9, 1141-1147, 2019. doi:10.1049/iet-com.2018.5798
14. Molaei, A. M., B. Zakeri, and S. Andargoli, "Efficient clustering of non-coherent and coherent components regardless of sources’ powers for 2D DOA estimation," Circuits Systems and Signal Processing, Vol. 6, 2020.
15. Choi, Y. H., "On conditions for the rank restoration in forward/backward spatial smoothing," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 50, No. 11, 2900-2901, 2002. doi:10.1109/TSP.2002.804075
16. Pan, J., M. Sun, Y. Wang, et al. "An enhanced spatial smoothing technique with ESPRIT algorithm for direction of arrival estimation in coherent scenarios," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 68, 3635-3643, 2020. doi:10.1109/TSP.2020.2994514