In this paper, a triangle-shaped Quarter Mode Substrate Integrated Waveguide (QMSIW) cavity back slot antenna is developed using TE110, TE220, and TE310, 130 modes for tri-band operation. The QMSIW is obtained from the quadrant part of a square SIW (Substrate Integrated Waveguide) structure. The electric field distributions of resonant modes are studied for the Full Mode SIW, Half Mode SIW, and Quarter Mode SIW cavities through HFSS simulation tool. The generation of the hybrid mode TE310, 130 mode is clearly explained with the simulation tool. A rectangular slot is engraved on top layer of the structure along the perfect electric wall, to radiate the EM (Electro Magnetic) wave towards positive Z-direction. Further, a metallized via has been inserted to bring reflection coefficient below -10 dB at the three resonant modes. The developed antenna achieves resonance at 5.2 GHz, 9.88 GHz, and 10.6 GHz frequencies with peak gains of 9 dB, 6.2 dB, and 7.9 dB, respectively. The antenna is designed on a single layer thin substrate which reduces the fabrication complexity.
"Triangular Shaped QMSIW Cavity Back Slot Antenna for Tri-Band Operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 112, 251-261, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC21032907
1. Jin, C., R. Li, A. Alphones, and X. Bao, "Quarter-mode substrate integrated waveguide and its application to antennas design," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 6, 2921-2928, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2250238
2. Fu, Z., T. Zhang, Y. Lan, T. Wu, W. Huang, and L. He, "Dual-frequency miniaturized substrate integrated waveguide quarter-mode cavity-backed antenna based on Minkowski fractal gap with orthogonal polarization radiation characteristics," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 2019.
3. Casula, G. A., "A quarter mode SIW antenna for short range applications," 2nd URSI AT-RASC, Gran Canaria, 2018.
4. Choudhury, S. and A. Mohan, "Miniaturized Sierpinski fractal loaded QMSIW antenna with CSRR in ground plane for WLAN applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 59, No. 6, 1291-1295, 2017. doi:10.1002/mop.30528
5. Anand, S. and D. Rokhini, "A double line SIW cavity backed antenna for WLAN applications," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., Vol. 29, No. 11, e21861, 2019.
6. Chaturvedi, D. and S. Raghavan, "A quarter-mode SIW based antenna for ISM band application," IEEE International Conference on Antenna Innovations & Modern Technologies for Ground, Aircraft and Satellite Applications (iAIM), 2017.
7. Yue, T. and D. H. Werner, "A compact dual-band antenna based on SIW technology," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 2018.
8. Yang, X., L. Ge, Y. Ji, X. Zeng, and K. M. Luk, "Design of low-profile multi-band half-mode substrate-integrated waveguide antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 10, 6639-6644, 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2019.2924991
9. Guan, D., Z. Qian, W. Cao, L. Ji, and Y. Zhang, "Compact SIW annular ring slot antenna with multiband multimode characteristics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 12, 5918-5922, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2487516
10. Mandal, B. and S. K. Parui, "Wearable tri-band SIW based antenna on leather substrate," Electronics Letters, Vol. 51, No. 20, 1563-1564, 2015. doi:10.1049/el.2015.2559
11. Soumava, M. and B. Animesh, "Computer aided equivalent circuit model of SIW cavity backed triple band slot antenna," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 27, No. 2, e21060, 2016.
12. Alhalboosi, H. A., S. Kurnaz, and A. M. Shantaf, "Design of double H-slot microstrip patch triple-band for C-band," International Congress on Human-Computer Interaction, Optimization and Robotic Applications (HORA), 2020.
13. Banerjee, S. and M. Gangopadhyaya, "A compact dual-band half-mode SIW based semicircular antenna," IEEE 7th Annual Ubiquitous Computing, Electronics & Mobile Communication Conference (UEMCON), 2016.
14. Banerjee, S., S. Chatterjee, S. D. Mazumdar, M. Gangopadhyaya, and B. Rana, "Multi-slot loaded dual band compact half-mode SIW triangular antenna," Advances in Optical Science and Engineering, 441-448, 2017. doi:10.1007/978-981-10-3908-9_54
15. Mukherjee, S., K. V. Srivastava, and A. Biswas, "Implementation of dual-frequency longitudinal slot array antenna on substrate integrated waveguide at X-band," Proc. of Eur. Microw. Conf. (EuMC), 195-198, 2013.
16. Jagadeesh, D. and S. Alapati, "Dual band half mode SIW semi circular cavity back slot antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 87, 7-14, 2019.