This article is about the characterization of a 3D metamaterial structure arranged to reinforce the surface wave radiation of antennas relevant to High Frequency (HF) surface wave radars. The use of a corrugated surface with a negative equivalent permittivity placed in the vicinity of the antenna increases the surface wave component of the radiated field. In order to confirm the anticipated performance of that metamaterial antenna, near-field measurements have been realized. Also, an original near far-field transformation technique, taking the surface wave into account, is applied to derive the radiation pattern of the antenna. Measurements were first achieved at reduced scale in UHF band and at full scale in HF band. At 1.1 GHz, they were operated on a small scale mock-up in a semi-anechoic chamber. An electric field acquisition setup installed in an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) is used to characterize this antenna under outdoor conditions. This measuring system was especially designed for this application. The obtained results are discussed and enable us to validate the expected behavior of the antenna.
"Using a 3D Metamaterial to Enhance the Surface Wave Propagation for High Frequency Over
-the-Horizon Radars: from Simulation to Outdoor Measurements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 115, 81-93, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC21061704
1. Ponsford, A., "Surveillance of the 200 nautical mile Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) using High Frequency Surface Wave Radar (HFSWR)," Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing, Vol. 27, No. 4, 354-360, 2001. doi:10.1080/07038992.2001.10854877
2. Vesecky, J. F., K. E. Laws, and J. D. Paduan, "Using HF surface wave radar and the ship Automatic Identication System (AIS) to monitor coastal vessels," 2009 IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, Vol. 3, III-761-III-764, 2009.
3. Jangal, F. and M. Menelle, "French HFSWR contribution to the European integrated maritime surveillance system I2C," IET International Radar Conference 2015, 1-5, Oct. 2015.
4. Petrillo, L., F. Jangal, M. Darces, J.-L. Montmagnon, and M. Hélier, "Towards a better excitation of the surface wave," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 13, 17-28, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERM10041409
5. Herbette, Q., S. Saillant, M. Menelle, B. Urbani, N. Bourey, M. Darces, and M. Hélier, "HF Radar antenna near field assessment using a UAV," 2019 International Radar Conference (RADAR), 1-4, Sept. 2019.
6. Herbette, Q., N. Bourey, M. Menelle, M. Darces, S. Saillant, and M. Hélier, "Using a 3D metamaterial to enhance surface wave propagation in HF band," 2021 15th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-5, Mar. 2021.
7. Payet, N., M. Darces, J.-L. Montmagnon, M. Hélier, and F. Jangal, "Near field to far field transformation by using equivalent sources in HF band," 2012 15 International Symposium on Antenna Technology and Applied Electromagnetics, 1-4, Jun. 2012.
8. Kistovich, Y. V., "On the possibility of observing surface zenneck waves in the radiation of a source with a small vertical aperture," Journal of Technical Physics, Vol. 59, No. 4, 16-21, 1989.
9. Jangal, F., L. Petrillo, M. Darces, M. Hélier, and J.-L. Montmagnon, "Inductive surface element,", Patent: EP2888784B1, Jul. 2015.
10. Elliott, R., "On the theory of corrugated plane surfaces," Transactions of the IRE Professional Group on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2, No. 2, 71-81, 1954. doi:10.1109/T-AP.1954.27975
11. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, Electromagnetic Band Gap Structures in Antenna Engineering, The Cambridge RF and Microwave Engineering Series, Cambridge University Press, 2008. doi:10.1017/CBO9780511754531
13. Garcia-Vidal, F. J., L. Martín-Moreno, and J. B. Pendry, "Surfaces with holes in them: New plasmonic metamaterials," Journal of Optics A: Pure and Applied Optics, Vol. 7, S97-S101, Jan. 2005. doi:10.1088/1464-4258/7/2/013
14. Balageas, D. and P. Levesque, "EMIR: A photothermal tool for electromagnetic phenomena characterizatioon," Revue Générale de Thermique, Vol. 37, 725-739, Sept. 1998. doi:10.1016/S0035-3159(98)80050-0
15. Bourey, N., M. Darces, and M. Hélier, "In situ antenna far field estimation based on equivalent sources," 2018 USNC-URSI Radio Science Meeting (Joint with AP-S Symposium), 105-106, Jul. 2018.
16. Kortke, A. and W. Mann, "Near field scanning with optoelectronic e-field probes," 2009 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 1725-1729, 2009.
17. Bannister, P. R., "New formulas that extend Norton's farfield elementary dipole equations to the quasi-nearfield range,", 1984.
18. Norton, K. A., "The propagation of radio waves over the surface of the earth and in the upper atmosphere," Proceedings of the Institute of Radio Engineers, Vol. 25, No. 9, 1203-1236, 1937.
19. Bourdi, T., J. E. Rhazi, F. Boone, and G. Ballivy, "Application of Jonscher model for the characterization of the dielectric permittivity of concrete," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 41, 205-210, Oct. 2008.
20. Loewer, M., J. Igel, C. Minnich, and N. Wagner, "Electrical and dielectric properties of soils in the mHz to GHz frequency range," Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Electromagnetic Wave Interaction with Water and Moist Substances (ISEMA), 247-254, 2016.