This work discusses the effect of reconfigurability on a Sierpinski-carpet fractal microstrip patch antenna. The implementation of reconfigurability is achieved by modeling a PIN diode as a lumped RC element on HFSS (High Frequency Structure Simulator) simulation tool. The proposed antenna design is also fabricated and tested. It is highly miniaturized having a dimension of 9.5 mm × 7.4 mm and a significantly high impedance bandwidth which is desirable for most wireless communication applications. The resultant Fractal Reconfigurable Antenna (FRA) exhibits good performance parameters having frequency reconfigurability rendering it useful for Ku/K/Ka band applications.
Abhishek Kumar Saroj,
"Sierpinski-Carpet Fractal Frequency Reconfigurable Microstrip Patch Antenna Design for Ku/k
/Ka Band Application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 106, 59-69, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERM21092002
1. Singh, I. and V. S. Tripathi, "Microstrip patch antenna and its applications: A survey," International Journal of Computer Technology and Applications, Vol. 2, 1595-1599, 2011.
2. Khanna, G. and N. Sharma, "Fractal antenna geometries: A review," International Journal of Computer Applications, Vol. 153, 29-32, 2016. doi:10.5120/ijca2016912106
3. Cao, T. N. and W. J. Krzysztofik, "Design of multiband sierpinski fractal carpet antenna array for C-band," 2018 22nd International Microwave and Radar Conference (MIKON), 41-44, 2018. doi:10.23919/MIKON.2018.8405240
4. Costantine, J., Y. Tawk, S. E. Barbin, and C. G. Christodoulou, "Reconfigurable antennas: Design and applications," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 103, No. 3, 424-437, March 2015. doi:10.1109/JPROC.2015.2396000
5. Ramadan, A., M. Husseini, K. Y. Kabalan, and A. El-Hajj, Fractal-shaped Reconfigurable Antennas, InTech, 2011.
6. Mohanta, H. C., A. Z. Kouzani, and S. K. Mandal, "Reconfigurable antennas and their applications," Universal Journal of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol. 6, No. 4, 239-258, 2019. doi:10.13189/ujeee.2019.060406
7. Hakani, R., "A survey: Analysis of reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna," International Journal of Innovative Research in Technology, Vol. 1, 1029-1033, 2014.
8. Rouissi, I., J. Floch, H. Rmili, and H. Trabelsi, "Design of a frequency reconfigurable patch antenna using capacitive loading and varactor diode," European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, EuCAP 2015, 2015.
9. Kordzadeh, A. and F. Hojjat-Kashani, "A new reduced size microstrip patch antenna with fractal shaped defects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 11, 29-37, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB08100501
10. Chattha, H. T., M. Hanif, X. Yang, Q. H. Abbasi, and I. E. Rana, "Frequency reconfigurable patch antenna for 4G LTE applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 69, 1-13, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM18022101
11. Kalmkar, S. and V. Bhope, "Design and analysis of frequency reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna," International Journal of Academic Research and Development, Vol. 3, 21-24, 2018.
12. Majid, H. A., M. K. Abdul Rahim, M. R. Hamid, N. A. Murad, and M. F. Ismail, "Frequency-reconfigurable microstrip patch-slot antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 218-220, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2245293
13. Nazir, I., I. E. Rana, N. U. A. Mir, and K. Afreen, "Design and analysis of a frequency reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna switching between four frequency bands," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 68, 179-191, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERC16052405
14. Sharma, B., G. Parmar, and M. Kumar, "Frequency reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna with circular slot for K-band application," 2015 International Conference on Computer, Communication and Control (IC4), 1-3, 2015.
15. Saravanan, M. and M. J. Rangachar, "Circular ring shaped polarization reconfigurable antenna for wireless communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 74, 105-113, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM18081608
16. Zhang, Y., B.-Z. Wang, X.-S. Yang, and W. Wu, "A fractal Hilbert microstrip antenna with reconfigurable radiation patterns," 2005 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 3A, 254-257, 2005. doi:10.1109/APS.2005.1552228
17. Ali, T., M. M. Khaleeq, and R. C. Biradar, "A multiband reconfigurable slot antenna for wireless applications," AEU - International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 84, 273-280, 2017.
18. Chaouche, Y. B., M. Nedil, and I. Messaoudene, "A bandwidth reconfigurable multiband fractal antenna for wireless applications," 2019 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and USNC-URSI Radio Science Meeting, 917-918, 2019. doi:10.1109/APUSNCURSINRSM.2019.8889345
19. Maharana, M. S., G. P. Mishra, and B. B. Mangaraj, "Design and simulation of a Sierpinski carpet fractal antenna for 5G commercial applications," 2017 International Conference on Wireless Communications, Signal Processing and Networking (WiSPNET), 1718-1721, 2017. doi:10.1109/WiSPNET.2017.8300056
20. Ramadan, A., M. Al-Husseini, K. Y. Kabalan, A. El-Hajj, and J. Costantine, "A compact Sierpinski-carpet-based patch antenna for UWB applications," 2009 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, 2009.
21. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory, Analysis and Design, John Wiley and Sons, 2005.
22. Duvall, P., J. Keesling, and A. Vince, "The Hausdorfff dimension of the boundary of a self-similar tile," Journal of the London Mathematical Society, Vol. 61, 1999.
23. Rahim, M. K. A., N. Abdullah, and M. Z. A. Abdul Aziz, "Microstrip Sierpinski carpet antenna design," 2005 Asia-Pacific Conference on Applied Electromagnetics, 4, 2005.
24. Singh, R. K., A. Basu, and S. K. Koul, "Reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna with polarization switching in three switchable frequency bands," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 119376-119386, 2020. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.3005482
26. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, Boston, London, 2003.
27. Ansari, J., N. P. Yadav, P. Singh, and A. Mishra, "Compact half U-slot loaded shorted rectangular patch antenna for broadband operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 9, 215-226, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERM09090102
28. Siddiqui, M. G., A. K. Saroj, Devesh, and J. Ansari, "Multi-band fractaled triangular microstrip antenna for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 65, 51-60, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM18011027