A dual-element miniaturized multiple-input-multiple-output (MIMO) antenna with a defected ground plane and a tapered microstrip feed line is introduced in this article. It achieves a bandwidth (BW) of 10.8 GHz (7.2-18 GHz), frequency ratio (FR) of 2.5, and average isolation of 15 dB over the entire operating band. The proposed antenna is right hand circularly polarized (RHCP) and achieves an axial ratio of < 3 dB in the frequency band ranging from 7.2 to 8.9 GHz. The performance characteristics of the proposed antenna are analyzed in terms of the envelope correlation coefficient (ECC), mean effective gain (MEG), total active reflection coefficient (TARC), isolation between the ports, and channel capacity loss (CCL), and the values obtained are 0.1607, 9.99 dB, ±3 dB, -11 dB, -7 dB, 0.20 bits/sec/Hz respectively. The proposed MIMO antenna is fabricated on an FR-4 dielectric substrate of dimension 10.6×10.3×1.6 mm3 and has good agreement between simulated and experimental results. The proposed antenna can be used for C, X, and Ku band applications.
Ajit Kumar Singh,
Santosh Kumar Mahto,
"A Miniaturized MIMO Antenna for C, X, and Ku Band Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 117, 31-40, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC21100202
1. Rao, Q. and D. Wang, "A compact dual-port diversity antenna for long-term evolution handheld devices," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 59, No. 3, 1319-1329, 2009.
2. Kumar, A., S. K. Mahto, and R. Sinha, "Y-shaped antenna for 5g enabled gadgets and its mimo for smartphone applications," 2020 URSI Regional Conference on Radio Science (URSI-RCRS), 1-4, IEEE, 2020.
3. Kumar, A., S. K. Mahto, R. Sinha, and A. Choubey, "Dual circular slot ring triple-band mimo antenna for 5g applications," Frequenz, Vol. 75, No. 3-4, 91-100, 2021. doi:10.1515/freq-2020-0138
4. Charola, S., S. K. Patel, J. Parmar, and R. Jadeja, "Multiband jerusalem cross-shaped angle insensitive metasurface absorber for x-band application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, 1-13, 2021.
5. Parikh, H., S. Pandey, and M. Sahoo, "Design of a modiFIed E-shaped dual band patch antenna for Ku band application," 2012 International Conference on Communication Systems and Network Technologies, 49-52, IEEE, 2012. doi:10.1109/CSNT.2012.20
6. Thi, T. N., K. Hwang, and H. Kim, "Dual-band circularly-polarised spidron fractal microstrip patch antenna for ku-band satellite communication applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 49, No. 7, 444-445, 2013. doi:10.1049/el.2012.2973
7. Sayed, A., R. Ghonam, and A. Zekry, "Design of a compact dual band microstrip antenna for ku-band applications," International Journal of Computer Applications, Vol. 115, No. 13, 2015. doi:10.5120/20210-2473
8. Samsuzzaman, M., M. Islam, N. Misran, and M. M. Ali, "Dual band x shape microstrip patch antenna for satellite applications," Procedia Technology, Vol. 11, 1223-1228, 2013. doi:10.1016/j.protcy.2013.12.317
9. Vijayvergiya, P. L. and R. K. Panigrahi, "Single-layer single-patch dual band antenna for satellite applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 11, No. 5, 664-669, 2016. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2016.0393
10. Saini, G. S. and R. Kumar, "A low profile patch antenna for ku-band applications," International Journal of Electronics Letters, 1-11, 2019.
11. El Ouahabi, M., A. Zakriti, M. Essaaidi, A. Dkiouak, and E. Hanae, "A miniaturized dual-band MIMO antenna with low mutual coupling for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 93-101, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERC19032601
12. Kumar, N., P. Kumar, and M. Sharma, "Superwideband dual notched band square monopole MIMO antenna for UWB/X/Ku band wireless applications," 2019 IEEE Indian Conference on Antennas and Propogation (InCAP), 1-5, IEEE, 2019.
13. Satam, V. and S. Nema, "Defected ground structure planar dual element MIMO antenna for wireless and short range radar application," 2015 IEEE International Conference on Signal Processing, Informatics, Communication and Energy Systems (SPICES), 1-5, IEEE, 2015.
14. Tan, C. M., M. R. Tripathy, et al. "A miniaturized T-shaped MIMO antenna for X-band and Ku-band applications with enhanced radiation efficiency," 2018 27th Wireless and Optical Communication Conference (WOCC), 1-5, IEEE, 2018.
15. Pouyanfar, N., C. Ghobadi, J. Nourinia, K. Pedram, and M. Majidzadeh, "A compact multi-band MIMO antenna with high isolation for C and X bands using defected ground structure," Radioengineering, Vol. 27, No. 3, 686-693, 2018. doi:10.13164/re.2018.0686
16. Addepalli, T. and V. R. Anitha, "Compact two-port MIMO antenna with high isolation using parasitic reflectors for uwb, x and ku band applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 102, 63-77, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERC20030402
17. Eslami, A., J. Nourinia, C. Ghobadi, and M. Shokri, "Four-element MIMO antenna for X-band applications," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, 1-8, 2021.
18. Singh, A. K., S. K. Mahto, and R. Sinha, "Compact super-wideband MIMO antenna with improved isolation for wireless communications," Frequenz, Vol. 75, No. 9-10, 407-417, 2021. doi:10.1515/freq-2020-0213
19. Glazunov, A. A., A. F. Molisch, and F. Tufvesson, "Mean effective gain of antennas in a wireless channel," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 3, No. 2, 214-227, 2009. doi:10.1049/iet-map:20080041
20. Loyka, S. L., "Channel capacity of MIMO architecture using the exponential correlation matrix," IEEE Communications Letters, Vol. 5, No. 9, 369-371, 2001. doi:10.1109/4234.951380
21. Saxena, G., P. Jain, and Y. K. Awasthi, "High diversity gain super-wideband single band-notch MIMO antenna for multiple wireless applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 14, No. 1, 109-119, 2019. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2019.0450