This research introduces a novel design of a metamaterial absorber having the range in terahertz, capable of sensing changes in the refractive index of the encircling medium. The layout includes adjoining rectangular patches in the form of a plus symbol along with four circular patch resonators (CPRs) on the pinnacle of a Gallium Arsenide (GaAs) substrate. The proposed design comes up with three consecutive absorption peaks, with an absorptivity of 99.0%, 99.75%, and 98.0% at three different resonant frequencies of 2.36 THz, 2.675 THz, and 2.97 THz, respectively, and a Full Width Half Maximum (FWHM) of 0.08, 0.04 and 0.05. This structure's quality factor (Q-factor) at the three resonant frequencies is 29.5, 66.8 and 59.4 together with 6.75, 17.5 and 30 as figure of merit (FoM), respectively. The proposed design offers a sensitivity of 0.54 THz/RIU, 0.7 THz/RIU, and 1.5 THz/RIU in those three absorption bands. To support the selection of design parameters, parametric assessment was done. The designed sensor can find its applications in terahertz sensing.
Amit K. Jha,
Prabhat Ranjan Tripati,
"A Triple Band Highly Sensitive Refractive Index Sensor Using Terahertz Metamaterial Perfect Absorber," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 107, 13-23, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERM21100701
1. Shamonina, E. and L. Solymar, "Metamaterials: How the subject started," Metamaterials, Vol. 1, 12-18, 2007.
2. Ramakrishna, S. A. and T. M. Grzegorczyk, Physics and Application of Negative Refractive Index Materials, CRC Press, Boca Raton, 2008.
3. Ali, H. O., A. M. Al-Hindawi, Y. I. Abdulkarim, E. Nugoolcharoenlap, T. Tippo, F. Alkurt, O. Altntas, and M. Karaaslan, "Simulated and experimental studies of multi-band symmetric metamaterial absorber with polarization independent for radar applications," Chinese Physics B, 1056-1674, 2021.
4. Abdulkarim, Y. I., S. Dalgac, F. O. Alkurt, et al. "Utilization of a triple hexagonal split ring resonator (SRR) based metamaterial sensor for the improved detection of fuel adulteration," J. Mater Sci.: Mater Electron., Vol. 32, 24258-24272, 2021.
5. Dalgaç, S., F. Karadağ, M. Bakır, O. Akgöl, E. Ünal, and M. Karaaslan, "Chiral metamaterial-based sensor applications to determine quality of car lubrication oil," Transactions of the Institute of Measurement and Control, Vol. 43, No. 7, 1640-1649, 2021.
6. Pelluri, R. and B. Appasani, "Genetic algorithm optimized X-band absorber using metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 69, 59-64, 2017.
7. Verma, V. K., et al. "An octaband polarization insensitive terahertz metamaterial absorber using orthogonal elliptical ring resonators," Plasmonics, Vol. 15, No. 1, 75-81, 2020.
8. Appasani, B., et al. "A simple multi-band metamaterial absorber with combined polarization sensitive and polarization insensitive characteristics for terahertz applications," Plasmonics, Vol. 14, 737-742, 2019.
9. Ling, X. Y., Z. Y. Xiao, and X. X. Zheng, "Tunable terahertz metamaterial absorber and the sensing application," J. J. Mater. Sci. Mater. Electron., Vol. 29, No. 1, 1-7, 2017.
10. Appasani, B., "An octaband temperature tunable terahertz metamaterial absorber using tapered triangular structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 95, 9-16, 2021.
11. Tao, H., et al. "Performance enhancement of terahertz metamaterials on ultrathin substrates for sensing applications," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 97, No. 26, 2010.
12. Appasani, B., "Temperature tunable seven band terahertz metamaterial absorber using slotted flower-shaped resonator on an InSb substrate," Plasmonics, 1-7, 2021.
13. Cong, L. and R. Singh, "Sensing with THz metamaterial absorbers,", 2014, arXiv:1408.3711.[Online]. Available: https://arxiv.org/abs/1408.3711.
14. Mirzaei, S., N. G. Green, M. Rotaru, and S. H. Pu, "Detecting and identifying DNA via the THz backbone frequency using a metamaterial based label-free biosensor," Proceedings of SPIE, Vol. 10103, 2017.
15. Saadeldin, A. S., M. F. O. Hameed, E. M. A. Elkaramany, and S. S. A. Obayya, "Highly sensitive terahertz metamaterial sensor," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 19, No. 18, 7993-7999, Sept. 15, 2019.
16. Banerjee, S., U. Nath, P. Dutta, A. V. Jha, B. Appasani, and N. Bizon, "A theoretical terahertz metamaterial absorber structure with a high quality factor using two circular ring resonators for biomedical sensing," Inventions, Vol. 6, No. 4, 78, 2021.
17. Shen, F., J. Qin, and Z. Han, "Planar antenna array as a highly sensitive terahertz sensor," Applied Optics, Vol. 58, 540, 2019.
18. Li, Y., X. Chen, F. Hu, D. Li, H. Teng, Q. Rong, W. Zhang, J. Han, and H. Liang, "Four resonators based high sensitive terahertz metamaterial biosensor used for measuring concentration of protein," Journal of Applied Physics D, Vol. 52, 95-105, 2019.
19. Xiang, Y., J. Zhu, L. Wu, Q. You, B. Ruan, and X. Dai, "Highly sensitive terahertz gas sensor based on surface plasmon resonance with graphene," IEEE Photonics Journal, Vol. 10, No. 1, 1-7, Feb. 2018, Art no. 6800507, doi: 10.1109/JPHOT.2017.2778245.
20. Banerjee, S., et al. "A terahertz metamaterial absorber based refractive index sensor with high quality factor," 2021 13th International Conference on Electronics, Computers and Artificial Intelligence (ECAI), 1-4, 2021, doi: 10.1109/ECAI52376.2021.9515149.
21. Nickpay, M. R., M. Danaie, and A. Shahzadi, "Highly sensitive THz refractive index sensor based on folded split-ring metamaterial graphene resonators plasmonics," Plasmonics, 2021.
22. Yahiaoui, R., S. Tan, L. Cong, R. Singh, F. Yan, and W. Zhang, "Multispectral terahertz sensing with highly flexible ultrathin metamaterial absorber," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 118, 83-103, 2015.
23. Zhang, W., J.-Y. Li, and J. Xie, "High sensitivity refractive index sensor based on metamaterial absorber," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 71, 107-115, 2018.
24. Yan, Z., C. Tang, G. Wu, Y. Tang, P. Gu, J. Chen, Z. Liu, and Z. Huang, "Perfect absorption and refractive-index sensing by metasurfaces composed of cross-shaped hole arrays in metal substrate," Nanomaterials, Vol. 11, 63, 2021, https://doi.org/10.3390/nano11010063.
25. Xie, Q., G. X. Dong, B. X.Wang, and W. Q. Huang, "High-Q fano resonance in terahertz frequency based on an asymmetric metamaterial resonator," Nanoscale Resonance Letters, Vol. 13, 294, 2018.
26. Zhang, W., et al. "Ultrasensitive dual-band terahertz sensing with metamaterial perfect absorber," 2017 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Workshop Series on Advanced Materials and Processes for RF and THz Applications (IMWS-AMP), 1-3, 2017, doi: 10.1109/IMWS-AMP.2017.8247404.
27. Zhu, L., H. Li, L. Dong, W. Zhou, M. Rong, X. Zhang, and J. Guo, "Dual-band electromagnetically induced transparency (EIT) terahertz metamaterial sensor," Opt. Mater. Express, Vol. 11, 2109-2121, 2021.
29. Wang, J., T. Lang, Z. Hong, M. Xiao, and J. Yu, "Design and fabrication of a triple-band terahertz metamaterial absorber," Nanomaterials, Vol. 11, No. 5, 1110, 2021.
30. Li, Z., Z. Yi, T. Liu, L. Liu, X. Chen, F. Zheng, J. Zhang, H. Li, P. Wu, and P. Yan, "Three-band perfect absorber with high refractive index sensing based on an active tunable Dirac semimetal," Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, Vol. 23, No. 32, 17374-17381, 2021.
31. Wang, B. X., G. Z. Wang, and T. Sang, "Simple design of novel triple-band terahertz metamaterial absorber for sensing application," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 49, No. 16, 165307, 2016.
32. Liu, N., et al. "Plasmonic analogue of electromagnetically induced transparency at the Drude damping limit," Nature Matter, Vol. 8, 758-762, 2009.