A multi-input multi-output (MIMO) antenna system is presented for wireless devices operating at WLAN (2.45, 5.25, and 5.775 GHz) bands. Each of the two antennas in the MIMO system consists of a crescent-shaped monopole whose first part covers the 2.45 GHz band while its second part covers the 5.25 GHz and 5.775 GHz bands. The second part of the monopole is a slot etched in the protruded ground plane between the two antennas. A decoupling mechanism in the form of two interlaced ring-shaped slots is used. The proposed MIMO antenna system is designed on an FR4 substrate with overall dimensions of 40x47.5x1.5 mm and a small edge-to-edge spacing of 7.3 mm between two antennas. According to the measured results, the proposed design covers two frequency bands (2.2-2.83 GHz and 5.03-5.95 GHz) and has a mutual coupling of -20.78 dB at 2.45 GHz and -42.65 dB at 5.55 GHz. The proposed antenna's performance in both simulations and testing indicates that it is a good choice for WLAN applications.
Likaa S. Yahya,
Loay S. Yahya,
"A Crescent-Shaped Monopole MIMO Antennas with Improved Isolation for Dual-Band WLAN Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 117, 115-127, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC21101503
1. Luo, C.-M., J.-S. Hong, and L.-L. Zhong, "Isolation enhancement of a very compact UWB-MIMO slot antenna with two defected ground structures," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1766-1769, 2015, DOI:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2423318. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2423318
2. Kumar, N. and U. K. Kommuri, "MIMO antenna H-plane isolation enhancement using UC-EBG structure and metal line strip for WLAN applications," Radio Engineering, Vol. 28, No. 2, 399-406, Jun. 2019.
3. Isaac, A. A., H. M. Al-Rizzo, A. I. Hammoodi, S. Abushamleh, and H. R. Khaleel, "Isolation enhancement of two planar monopole antennas for MIMO wireless applications," 2015 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 380-381, 2015, DOI: 10.1109/APS.2015.7304576. doi:10.1109/APS.2015.7304576
4. Ghosh, J., S. Ghosal, D. Mitra, and S. R. B. Chaudhuri, "Mutual coupling reduction between closely placed microstrip patch antenna using meander line resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 59, 115-122, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERL16012202
5. Li, Q., C. Ding, R. Yang, M. Tan, G. Wu, X. Lei, X. Jiang, S. Fang, M. Huang, Y. Gong, and Y. Wei, "Mutual coupling reduction between patch antennas using meander line," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 1-7, Article ID 2586382, 2018.
6. Kumar, A., A. Q. Ansari, B. K. Kanaujia, J. Kishor, and P. Kandpal, "Design of CPW-Fed triple- band two-port MIMO antenna with U shaped slot isolation structure for high isolation," 2018 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave and RF Conference (IMaRC), 1-4, Kolkata, India, Nov. 28-30, 2018, DOI: 10.1109/IMaRC.2018.8877330.
7. Yahya, L. S., K. H. Sayidmarie, F. Elmegri, and R. A. Abd-Alhameed, "Crescent-shaped double- monopole antennas with reduced coupling for WLAN and WIMAX applications," 2015 Internet Technologies and Applications (ITA), 393-398, Wales, UK, Sept. 8-11, 2015.
8. Yahya, L. S., K. H. Sayidmarie, F. Elmegri, and R. Abd-Alhameed, "Arc-shaped monopole antennas with reduced coupling for WLAN and WIMAX applications," 2017 Internet Technologies and Applications (ITA), 218-223, Wrexham, UK, Sep. 12-15, 2017, DOI: 10.1109/ITechA2017.8101942.
9. Ikram, M., N. N.-Trong, and A. Abbosh, "Multiband MIMO microwave and millimeter antenna system employing dual-function tapered slot structure," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 8, 5705-5710, 2019, DOI 10.1109/TAP.2019.2922547. doi:10.1109/TAP.2019.2922547
10. Isaac, A. A., H. Al-Rizzo, S. Yahya, and S. Abushamleh, "Decoupling of two closely-spaced planar monopole antennas using two novel printed-circuit structures," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, 2954-2963, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.31405. doi:10.1002/mop.31405
11. Aruna, S., H. Ismat, and K. S. Naik, "A very small dual-band MIMO slot antenna for WLAN and WiMAX applications," IOSR Journal of Electronics and Communication Engineering (IOSR-JECE), Vol. 13, No. 6, Ver. I, 39-45, 2018.
12. Bhanumathi, V. and G. Sivaranjani, "High isolation MIMO antenna using semi-circle patch for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 92, 31-40, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERC19011805
13. Sui, J., Y. Dou, X. Mei, and K.-L. Wu, "Self-curing decoupling technique for MIMO antenna arrays in mobile terminals," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 68, No. 2, 838-849, Feb. 2020. doi:10.1109/TAP.2019.2943410
14. Diallo, A., C. Luxey, P. L. Thuc, R. Staraj, and G. Kossiavas, "Reduction of the mutual coupling between two planar inverted-F antennas working in close frequency bands," Automatika, Vol. 47, No. 3-4, 113-120, 2006.
15. Chen, Y.-S. and H.-C. Zhou, "An isolation-enhanced quad-element antenna using suspended solid wires for LTE small-cell base stations," Radio Science, Vol. 52, No. 5, 663-676, 2017. doi:10.1002/2016RS006206
16. Huang, J.-H., W.-J. Chang, and C. F. Jou, "Dual-band MIMO antenna with high isolation application by using neutralizing line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 48, 15-19, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERL14053003
17. Khade, S. S. and S. L. Badjate, "A compact multiband U shape MIMO antenna for wireless application," International Journal of Wireless and Microwave Technologies, Vol. 6, 61-71, 2016, DOI: 10.5815/ijwmt.2016.05.07. doi:10.5815/ijwmt.2016.05.07
18. Kim, J., M. Han, C. Lee, and J. Choi, "Dual band MIMO antenna using a decoupling network for WLAN application," 13th International Conference on Advanced Communication Technology (ICACT2011), 624-627, Feb. 13-16, 2011.
19. Liu, P., D. Sun, P. Wang, and P. Gao, "Design of a dual-band MIMO antenna with high isolation for WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 74, 23-30, 2018.
20. Mohammad, S., A. Nezhad, H. R. Hassani, and A. Foudazi, "A dual-band WLAN/UWB printed wide slot antenna for MIMO/diversity applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, No. 3, 461-465, Mar. 2013, DOI 10.1002/mop. doi:10.1002/mop.27391
21. Kang, T.-W. and K.-L. Wong, "Isolation improvement of 2.4/5.2/5.8 GHz WLAN internal laptop computer antennas using dual-band strip resonator as a wave trap," Microwave and Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 1, 58-64, Jan. 2010, DOI 10.1002/mop. doi:10.1002/mop.24831
22. Luo, C.-M., J.-S. Hong, and M. Amin, "Mutual coupling reduction for dual-band MIMO antenna with simple structure," Radio Engineering, Vol. 26, No. 1, 51-56, DOI: 10.13164/re.2017.0051.
23. Bhaskar, P. V., V. Krishnanaik, and M. Naganaik, "A tapered fed MIMO antenna for IEEE INSAT band using L-slits," International Journal of Engineering and Techniques, Vol. 4, No. 2, 980-988, ISSN: 2395-1303, Mar.-Apr. 2018.
24. Ghannad, A. A., M. Khalily, P. Xiao, R. Tafazolli, and A. A. Kishk, "Enhanced matching and vialess decoupling of nearby patch antennas for MIMO system," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, No. 6, 1066-1070, Jun. 2019. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2019.2906308
25. Cheng, P., D. Sun, P. Wang, and P. Gao, "A dual-band MIMO antenna using a passive circuit for isolation enhancement," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 71, 117-123, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERL17082401
26. Nirmal, P. C., A. Nandgaonkar, S. Nalbalwar, and R. K. Gupta, "A compact dual-band MIMO antenna with improved isolation for WI-MAX and WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 68, 69-77, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM18033104
27. Ding, D., D. Li, T. Tang, D. Min, and Q. Zhang, "A 2 * 2 MIMO antenna design with high isolation, and steady radiation performances," IOP Conf. Series: Materials Science and Engineering, Vol. 768, 062081, 1-6, 2020, doi:10.1088/1757-899X/768/6/062081. doi:10.1088/1757-899X/768/6/062081
28. Sayidmarie, K. H. and L. S. Yahya, "Design and analysis of dual-band crescent-shape monopole antenna for WLAN applications," International Journal of Electromagnetic and Applications, Vol. 3, No. 4, 96-102, 2013.
29. Wang, F., Z. Duan, X. Wang, Q. Zhou, and Y. Gong, "High isolation millimeter-wave wideband MIMO antenna for 5G communication," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 20192019, 1-12, Article ID4283010, 2019, doi.org/10.1155/2019/4283010.
30. Kumer, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, 2003.
31. Iddi, H. U., R. Kamarudin, T. A. Rahman, A. Y. Abdurahman, R. Dewan, and A. S. Azini, "Triple band planar monopole antenna for MIMO application," PIERS Proceedings, 1421-1424, Stockholm, Sweden, Aug. 12-15, 2013.