Nowadays, wireless charging for electric vehicles has become popular in numerous situations by reason of safety and convenience. In this article, a composite compensation network and the corresponding charging control strategy aiming at optimizing the transmitting efficiency of the system and achieving constant current (CC) output and constant voltage (CV) output are proposed. First, the composite compensation network is analyzed by the equivalent circuit model as a reference. Second, based on the realization of CC/CV output, by analyzing the relationship between charging current/voltage and duty cycles of both DC-DC converters, the optimal duty cycles of both converters can be found. The purpose is to obtain the maximum transmission efficiency. Finally, the experimental results show good agreement with theoretical analysis, proving that the proposal can realize CC/CV charging and optimize the transmission efficiency.
"Load-Independence-Based Composite Compensation Network and Control Strategy for Wireless Electric Vehicle Charging System," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 107, 167-179, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERM21112001
1. Budhia, M., J. T. Boys, G. A. Covic, and C. Huang, "Development of a single-sided flux magnetic coupler for electric vehicle IPT charging systems," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 60, No. 1, 318-328, 2013. doi:10.1109/TIE.2011.2179274
2. Mohammad, M., S. Choi, Z. Islam, S. Kwak, and J. Baek, "Core design and optimization for better misalignment tolerance and higher range of wireless charging of PHEV," IEEE Transactions on Transportation Electrification, Vol. 3, No. 2, 445-453, 2017. doi:10.1109/TTE.2017.2663662
3. Kim, S., G. A. Covic, and J. T. Boys, "Tripolar pad for inductive power transfer systems for EV charging," IEEE Transactions on Transportation Electrification, Vol. 32, No. 7, 5045-5057, 2017.
4. Lee, I., N. Kim, and I. Cho, "Design of a patterned soft magnetic structure to reduce magnetic flux leakage of magnetic induction wireless power transfer systems," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 59, No. 6, 1856-1863, 2017. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2017.2690967
5. Kan, T., F. Lu, T. Nguyen, P. P. Mercier, and C. C. Mi, "Integrated coil design for EV wireless charging systems using LCC compensation topology," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 33, No. 11, 9231-9241, 2018. doi:10.1109/TPEL.2018.2794448
6. Kan, T., T. Nguyen, J. C. White, R. K. Malhan, and C. C. Mi, "A new integration method for an electric vehicle wireless charging system using lcc compensation topology: Analysis and design," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 32, No. 2, 1638-1650, 2017. doi:10.1109/TPEL.2016.2552060
7. Deng, J., W. Li, T. D. Nguyen, S. Li, and C. C. Mi, "Compact and efficient bipolar coupler for wireless power chargers: Design and analysis," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 30, No. 11, 6130-6140, 2015. doi:10.1109/TPEL.2015.2417115
8. Hu, J., F. Lu, and C. Zhu, "Hybrid energy storage system of an electric scooter based on wireless power transfer," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, Vol. 14, No. 9, 4169-4178, 2018. doi:10.1109/TII.2018.2806917
9. Fu, M., H. Yin, X. Zhu, and C. Ma, "Analysis and tracking of optimal load in wireless power transfer systems," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 30, No. 7, 3952-3963, 2015. doi:10.1109/TPEL.2014.2347071
10. Mai, R., Y. Liu, Y. Li, P. Yue, G. Cao, and Z. He, "An active-rectifier-based maximum efficiency tracking method using an additional measurement coil for wireless power transfer," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 33, No. 1, 716-728, 2018. doi:10.1109/TPEL.2017.2665040
11. Berger, A., M. Agostinelli, S. Vesti, J. A. Oliver, J. A. Cobos, and M. Huemer, "A wireless charging system applying phase-shift and amplitude control to maximize efficiency and extractable power," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 30, No. 11, 6338-6348, 2015. doi:10.1109/TPEL.2015.2410216
12. Al-Haj Hussein, A. and I. Batarseh, "A review of charging algorithms for nickel and lithium battery chargers," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 60, No. 3, 830-838, 2011. doi:10.1109/TVT.2011.2106527
13. Li, Y., Q. Xu, T. Lin, J. Hu, Z. He, and R. Mai, "Analysis and design of load-independent output current or output voltage of a three-coil wireless power transfer system," IEEE Transactions on Transportation Electrification, Vol. 4, No. 2, 364-375, 2018. doi:10.1109/TTE.2018.2808698
14. Tan, L., S. Pan, C. Xu, C. Yan, H. Liu, and X. Huang, "Study of constant current-constant voltage output wireless charging system based on compound topologies," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 17, No. 4, 1109-1116, 2017.
15. Cai, C., "Design and optimization of load-independent magnetic resonant wireless charging system for electric vehicles," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 17264-17274, 2018. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2810128
16. Chen, Y., Z. Kou, Y. Zhang, Z. He, R. Mai, and G. Cao, "Hybrid topology with configurable charge current and charge voltage output-based WPT charger for massive electric bicycles," IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, Vol. 6, No. 3, 1581-1594, 2018. doi:10.1109/JESTPE.2017.2782269
17. Mai, R., Y. Chen, Y. Zhang, N. Yang, G. Cao, and Z. He, "Optimization of the passive components for an S-LCC topology-based WPT system for charging massive electric bicycles," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 65, No. 7, 5497-5508, 2018. doi:10.1109/TIE.2017.2779437
18. Song, K., Z. Li, J. Jiang, and C. Zhu, "Constant current/voltage charging operation for series-series and series-parallel compensated wireless power transfer systems employing primary-side controller," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 33, No. 9, 8065-8080, 2018.
19. Zhao, Q., A. Wang, J. Liu, and X. Wang, "The load estimation and power tracking integrated control strategy for dual-sides controlled LCC compensated wireless charging system," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 75749-75761, 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2922329
20. Zhang, M., L. Tan, J. Li, and X. Huang, "The charging control and efficiency optimization strategy for WPT system based on secondary side controllable rectifier," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 127993-128004, 2020. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.3007444
21. Huang, Z., C. Lam, and P. Mak, "A single-stage inductive-power-transfer converter for constant-power and maximum-efficiency battery charging," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 35, No. 9, 8973-8984, 2020. doi:10.1109/TPEL.2020.2969685
22. Huang, Z., S. Wong, and C. K. Tse, "Control design for optimizing efficiency in inductive power transfer systems," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 33, No. 5, 4523-4534, 2018. doi:10.1109/TPEL.2017.2724039
23. Li, Z., K. Song, and J. Jiang, "Constant current charging and maximum efficiency tracking control scheme for supercapacitor wireless charging," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 33, No. 10, 9088-9100, 2018. doi:10.1109/TPEL.2018.2793312