A tunable dual-mode dual-band square cavity substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) bandpass filter is proposed. Metalized via-holes are inserted into the center of the cavity as perturbations to move and control the four resonant modes to create the dual passband filter. The first passband is formed by the perturbed TE201 and TE202 modes, while the second passband is formed by the perturbed TE301 and TE302 modes. Moreover, moving the perturbed via-holes on the SIW cavity allows the first passband to be tuned separately while the second passband is almost fixed. A dual-band filter prototype with frequencies of 17 GHz and 19.36 GHz and three transmission zeros (TZs) has been designed, fabricated and measured. The measured and simulated results are in good agreement, confirming the proposed dual-band filter design concept.
1. Hong, J. S. and M. J. Lancaster, "Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Application," 2nd Edition, Wiley, New York, NY, USA, 2011.
2. Wu, K., D. Deslandes, and Y. Cassivi, "The substrate integrated circuits --- A new concept for high-frequency electronics and optoelectronics," TELSIKS, 1-3, Serbia and Montenegro, Nis, Oct. 2003.
3. Chen, R. S., Y. J. He, J. E. Xie, L. Zhang, and S. W. Wong, "A novel dual-band bandpass filter using a single perturbed substrate integrated waveguide cavity," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp., 1076-1079, 2017.
4. Liu, Y., G. Zhang, S. Liu, and J. Yang, "Compact triple-band filter with adjustable passbands on one substrate integrated waveguide square resonant cavity," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 62, No. 12, 3709-3715, 2020. doi:10.1002/mop.32491
5. Yang, Z., B. You, and G. Luo, "Dual-/tri-band bandpass filter using multimode rectangular SIW cavity," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 62, No. 3, 1098-1102, 2019. doi:10.1002/mop.32145
6. Li, J., G. Li, Z. Wei, G. Xu, Z. Ju, and J. Huang, "Compact dual-band bandpass filter based on substrate integrated waveguide cavity with high selectivity," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 61, 147-158, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERM17050402
7. Zhou, K., W. Kang, and W. Wu, "Compact dual-band balanced bandpass filter based on double-layer SIW structure," Electronics Letters, Vol. 52, No. 18, 1537-1539, 2016. doi:10.1049/el.2016.1968
8. Zhou, K., C.-X. Zhou, and W.Wu, "Substrate-integrated waveguide dual-mode dual-band bandpass filters with widely controllable bandwidth ratios," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 65, No. 10, 3801-3812, Oct. 2017. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2017.2694827
9. Zhou, K., C. Zhou, and W. Wu, "Resonance characteristics of substrate-integrated rectangular cavity and their applications to dual-band and wide-stopband bandpass filters design," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 65, No. 5, 1511-1524, 2017. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2016.2645156
10. Xie, H., K. Zhou, C. Zhou, and W. Wu, "Compact SIW diplexer and dual-band band-pass filter with wide-stopband performance," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II, Vol. 67, No. 12, 2933-2937, 2020.
11. Azad, A. and A. Mohan, "Substrate integrated waveguide dual-band and wide-stopband bandpass filters," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 28, No. 8, 660-662, 2018. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2018.2844103
12. An, X., Q. Zhou, and Z.-Q. Lv, "An SIW quasi-elliptic filter with a controllable bandwidth based on cross coupling and dual-mode resonance cavity," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 76, 55-63, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM18090509
13. Sanchez, J. and V. Ayala, "A general em-based design procedure for single-layer substrate integrated waveguide interconnects with microstrip transitions," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Digest, 983-986, Atlanta, GA, Jun. 2008.
14. Rezaee, M. and A. R. Attari, "A novel dual mode dual band SIW filter," Proc. 44th Eur. Microw. Conf., 853-856, Rome, Italy, Oct. 2014.
15. Li, G. H., X.-Q. Cheng, H. Jian, and H.-Y. Wang, "Novel high-selectivity dual-band substrate integrated waveguide filter with multi-transmission zeros," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 47, 7-12, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERL14051801
16. Alkhafaji, A. N., A. J. Salim, and J. K. Ali, "Compact substrate integrated waveguide BPF for wideband communication applications," PIERS Proceedings, 135-139, Prague, Czech Republic, Jul. 6-9, 2015.
17. Alkhafaji, A. N. and A. J. Salim, "A helical-shaped slot microstrip band pass filter based on SIW technology for WLAN and bluetooth applications," 2016 Al-Sadeq International Conference on Multidisciplinary in IT and Communication Science and Applications (AIC-MITCSA), 9-10, Iraq, May 2016.
18. Salim, A. J., A. N. Alkhafaji, T. A. Elwi, H. T. Ziboon, S. Mutashar, and J. K. Ali, "Miniaturized SIW wideband BPF based on folded ring and meander line slot for wireless applications," 2017 Second Al-Sadiq International Conference on Multidisciplinary in IT and Communication Science and Applications (AIC-MITCSA), 136-139, Iraq, Dec. 2017.
19. Chen, X. and K. Wu, "Substrate integrated waveguide filter: Basic design rules and fundamental structure features," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 15, No. 5, 108-116, 2014. doi:10.1109/MMM.2014.2321263
20. Maheshwari, B. and D. K. Panda, "Design of single and dual band pass filter using substrate integrated waveguide with DGS," 2017 International Conference on Information, Communication, Instrumentation and Control (ICICIC), 1-5, Aug. 2017.
21. Muchhal, N., A. Chakraborty, M. Vishwakarma, and S. Srivastava, "Slotted folded substrate integrated waveguide band pass filter with enhanced bandwidth for Ku/K band applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 70, 51-60, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM18041804
22. Soundarya, G. and N. Gunavathi, "Compact dual-band SIW bandpass filter using CSRR and DGS structure resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 101, 79-87, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERL21091301