This paper explores a loaded conductor backed coplanar waveguide (CB-CPW) split ring resonator (SRR) fed U-slot planar antenna used for healthcare monitoring via the wireless scientific industrial medical (ISM) band and medical service band at fifth generation (5G-MSB). The antenna has been designed with bio-tissue layers, muscle layers, skin, and fat. The parameters of the designed antennas, such as miniaturization, increased gain, and enhanced bandwidth, are presented. The proposed prototype results in the total size of 640 mm3. Such designed antenna has been operated at (3.4-3.6) GHz - fifth-generation medical service band and at (2.38-2.48) GHz - industrial scientific band and can realize proximately omnidirectional radiation pattern over the operating bands.
1. Alemaryeen, A. and S. Noghanian, "On-body low-profile textile antenna with artificial magnetic conductor," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 6, 3649-3656, Jun. 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2019.2902632
2. Sajith, K., J. Gandhimohan, and T. Shanmuganantham, "Design of conductor backed coplanar wave guide fed split ring resonator loaded loop antenna for on-body electrocardiography monitoring applications," Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience, Vol. 16, 1344-1349, 2019. doi:10.1166/jctn.2019.8042
3. Gao, G.-P., C. Yang, and B. Hu, "A wearable PIFA with an all-textile metasurface for 5 GHz WBAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, No. 2, 288-292, Feb. 2019. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2018.2889117
4. Mendes, C. and C. Peixeiro, "On-body transmission performance of a novel dual-mode wearable microstrip antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 9, 4872-4877, Sep. 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2851669
5., , Test plan for wireless device over-the-air performance, revision 3.5.2, CTI certification standard, Olympia, WA, USA, Sep. 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2851669
6., , IEEE Recommend Practice for measurements and computations of radio frequency electromagnetic field with respect to human exposure to such field, 100 kHz-300 GHz, standard IEEE C95.3-2002, 2002. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2851669
7., , Council Recommendation on limits for exposure of the federal public to electromagnetic field: 0 Hz-300 GHz, Commission of European Communities, 1988. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2851669
8. Arif, A., M. Zubair, M. Ali, M. U. Khan, and M. Q. Mehmood, "A compact, low-profile fractal antenna for wearable on-body WBAN application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, No. 5, 981-985, May 2019. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2019.2906829
9. Kumar, S. A. and T. Shanmuganantham, "Design of bending antennas for purpose of biomedical applications using novel approach," Transaction on Electricals and Electronic Materials, Springer, Feb. 2021.
10. Engheta, N. and R. W. Ziolkowski, Metamaterials Physics and Engineering Explorations, John Wiley & Sons, 2006.
11. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, 4th Ed., John Wiley & Sons, 2016.
12. Itoh, T. and C. Caloz, Electromagnetic Metamaterials Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, John Wiley & Sons, 2006.
13. Waigh, M., Y. Wew, and S. Beeby, "Flexible 2.4 GHz node for body area networks with a compact high-gain planar antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, No. 1, 49-53, Jun. 2019. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2018.2880490
14. Ali, K., A. Hasanvand, and I. Balasigham, "Radio frequency backscatter communication for high data rate deep implants," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Technique, Vol. 67, No. 3, 1093-1106, 2019. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2018.2886844
15. Hamouda, Z., J. L. Wojkiewicz, A. P. Alexander, L. Kore, S. Bergheul, and T. Laseri, "Magnetic nanocomposite polymer-based dual-band flexible antenna for wearable application," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 7, 3271-3277, Jul. 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2826573
16. Rizwan, M., U. Leena, and J. Uirkki, "Flexible and stretchable brush-painted wearable antenna on a three-dimension (3D) printed substrate," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 3018-3112, Oct. 2017.
17. Akowash, B. Y., P. Kosmas, and Y. Chen, "A Q-slot monopole for UWB body-centric wireless communication," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 10, 5069-5075, Oct. 2017.
18. Kumar, S. A. and T. Shanmuganantham, "Scalp-implantable antenna for biomedical applications," IEEE URSI Asia Pacific Radio Science Conference 2020 (AP-RASC 2020), Indian Institute of Technology Varanasi (BHU), Varanasi, Feb. 12-14, 2020.
19. Shanmugananthem, T., "Design and performance of implantable CPW fed Apollian shaped antenna at 2.45 ISM band for bio-medical applications," Transaction on Electrical and Electronic Material, Vol. 16, 250-253, Oct. 2015.
20. Braham, T. G., "Reference security architecture for body area networks in healthcare applications," International Conference on Platform Technology and Service, 2018.
21. Kumar, S. A. and T. Shanmuganantham, "Design and analysis of implantable CPW fed bowtie antenna for ISM band applications," AEU: International Journal of Electronics and Communication, Vol. 68, No. 2, 158-165, Elsevier, Feb. 2014. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2013.08.003
22. Fernandez, S. and T. Quvendo, "Dual band microstrip patch antenna based on short circuital ring and spiral resonator for implantable medical device," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 4, No. 8, 1048-1055, Apr. 2010. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2009.0594
23. Karacolak, T. and Hood, "Design of dual band implantable antenna and development of skin mimicking gels for continuous glucose monitoring," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Technique, Vol. 56, No. 4, 1001-1008, Sep. 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2008.919373
24. Narmadha, G., M. Malathi, S. A. Kumar, T. Shanmuganantham, and S. Deivasigamani, "Performance of implantable antenna at ISM band characteristics for biomedical base," ICT Express, Elsevier, May 2021.
25. Kyriacou, E. and M. S. Pattichisn, "m-health e-emergency system: Current status and future directions," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 49, No. 1, 216-231, Feb. 2007. doi:10.1109/MAP.2007.371030
26. Shanmuganantham, T., B. Kumar, and S. A. Kumar, "Analysis of tree-shaped slotted impedance matching antenna for 60 GHz femtocell applications," ICT Express, Elsevier, Feb. 2021.
27. Elavarasi, C. and T. Shanmuganantham, "SRR loaded periwinkle flower shaped fractal antenna for multiband applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 59, 2518-2525, Oct. 2017.
28. Shanmuganatham, T., S. A. Kumar, and S. Selvi, "CSRR loaded CBCPW fed H-shaped slot radiator for ECG monitoring," International Journal of Ultra Wideband Communications and Systems (IJUWBCS), Inderscience, Jul. 2021.
29. Morassaghi, S., M. Abolhasan, and J. Lipman, "Wireless body area networks: A survey," IEEE Communication Surveys and Tutorial, Vol. 16, No. 3, Third quarter, Mar. 2014.
30. Kumar, S. A. and T. Shanmuganantham, "Design of CPW-fed inverted six shaped antenna for IoT applications," Transaction on Electricals and Electronic Materials, Vol. 21, 524-527, Springer, 2020. doi:10.1007/s42341-020-00213-z
31. Kumar, S. A. and T. Shanmuganantham, "Design and performance of textile antenna for wearable applications," Transaction on Electricals and Electronic Materials, Vol. 19, No. 5, 352-355, Springer, Oct. 2018. doi:10.1007/s42341-018-0052-6
32. Srikanth, G., S. Ashok Kumar, and T. Shanmuganantham, "Design of ground radiation antenna by using compact EBG," IEEE INDISCON 2020, Visakapatnam, Oct. 2020, 10.1109/INDISCON50162.2020.00017.
33. Kumar, S. A. and T. Shanmuganantham, "Design of wideband patch antenna with compact CPW feeding network for L-band applications," IEEE URSI Asia Pacific Radio Science Conference 2020 (AP-RASC 2020), Indian Institute of Technology Varanasi (BHU), Varanasi, Feb. 12-14, 2020.
34. Bose, J. C., "On the rotation of plane of polarisation of electric waves by a twisted structure," Proceedings of the Royal Society, Vol. 63, 389-400, 1898.
35. Veselago, V., L. Braginsky, V. Shklover, and C. Hafner, "Negative refractive index materials," Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience, Vol. 3, 189-218, 2006. doi:10.1166/jctn.2006.3000
36. Gao, G., B. Hu, C. Yang, S. Wang, and R. Zhang, "Design of a dual band-notched UWB antenna and improvement of the 5.5 GHz WLAN notched characteristic," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 33, 1-12, 2019.