A fractal antenna with enhanced bandwidth (BW) from 2.62 GHz to 5.2 GHz is presented for Wi-Fi applications. The antenna is designed to achieve a wider BW, and it consists of a rectangular shape patch attached to a half circular disc. The antenna is fed by microstrip feed model. The ground plane of the antenna is maintained partial with a slot at centre. Double head arrow cross shaped slots are etched on the radiating element to form the proposed fractal antenna. While the centre slot is made to look like + symbol, the surrounding four fractal slots are made to look like × symbol. FR4 substrate with dielectric constant 4.4 with thickness 1.6 mm is used to design the antenna. The overall size of the antenna is maintained compact with dimensions 44 mm × 40 mm. The dimensions of the fractal slots are varied, and the operating band is tuned. The proposed antenna covers from 2.62 GHz to 5.2 GHz with BW 2.58 GHz. The step-by-step implementation of the fractal antenna and comparative analysis are presented with the help of reflection coefficient curves. While the proposed antenna covers wideband, it showed peak resonance at dual operating frequencies at 3.2 GHz and 4.8 GHz. The designed antenna-maintained gain of 2.96 dBi and 3.47 dBi at 3.2 GHz and 4.8 GHz frequencies, respectively. The proposed antenna performance is presented with the help of reflection coefficient, VSWR, gain, field distributions, and radiation pattern curves. The simulated and measured analysis comparison showed good agreement making the designed antenna a good candidate for wideband Wi-Fi applications.
1. Mandelbrot, B. B., Fractals, John Wiley & Sons, Inc, 1977.
2. Wang, F., F. Bin, Q. Sun, J. Fan, and H. Ye, "A compact UHF antenna based on complementary fractal technique," IEEE Access, Vol. 5, No. 8049453, 21118-21125, 2017. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2017.2756672
3. Choukiker, Y. K. and S. K. Behera, "Compact sectoral fractal planar monopole antenna for wideband wireless applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, No. 5, 1073-1076, 2014. doi:10.1002/mop.28272
4. Werner, D. H. and S. Gangul, "An overview of fractal antenna engineering research," IEEE Antennas andPropagation Magazine, Vol. 45, No. 1, 38-57, February 2003. doi:10.1109/MAP.2003.1189650
5. Varadhan, C., J. K. Pakkathillam, M. Kanagasabai, R. Sivasamy, R. Natarajan, and S. K. Palaniswamy, "Triband antenna structures for RFID systems deploying fractal geometry," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 1225-1536, IEEE, 2013.
6. Wang, L., J. Yu, T. Xie, and K. Bi, "A novel multiband fractal antenna for wireless application," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2021, Article ID 9926753, 9 pages, 2021.
7. Choukiker, Y. K. and S. K. Behera, "Compact sectoral fractal planar monopole antenna for wideband wireless applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, No. 5, 1073-1076, 2014. doi:10.1002/mop.28272
8. Mishra, P., S. S. Pattnaik, and B. S. Dhaliwal, "Square-shaped fractal antenna under metamaterial loaded condition for bandwidth enhancement," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 78, 183-192, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERC17082701
9. Mukti, P. H., S. H. Wibowo, and E. Setijadi, "A compact wideband fractal-based planar antenna with meandered transmission line for L-band applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 61, 139-147, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERC15102302
10. Gangwar, K., A. Sharma, G. Das, and R. K. Gangwar, "Investigation on novel wideband fractal antenna design based on cylindrical shape dielectric resonator," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., e21943, 2019.
11. Liu, G., J. Gu, Z. Gao, and M. Xu, "Wideband printed slot antenna using Koch fractal metasurface structure," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., e22058, 2019.
12. Bhatia, S. S., J. S. Sivia, and N. Sharma, "An optimal design of fractal antenna with modified ground structure for wideband applications," Wireless Pers. Commun., Vol. 103, 1977-1991, 2018. doi:10.1007/s11277-018-5891-2
13. Desai, A., T. K. Upadhyaya, R. Patel, S. Bhatt, and P. Mankodi, "Wideband high gain fractal antenna for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 74, 125-130, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERL18011504
14. Rengasamy, R., D. Dhanasekaran, C. Chakraborty, and S. Ponnan, "Modified Minkowski fractal multiband antenna with circular-shaped split-ring resonator for wireless applications," Measurement, Vol. 182, 109766, 2021. doi:10.1016/j.measurement.2021.109766
15. Malallah, R., R. M. Shaaban, and W. A. G. Al-Tumah, "A dual band star-shaped fractal slot antenna: Design and measurement," AEU - International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 127, 153473, 2020. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2020.153473
16. Kumar, A. and K. Machavaram, "Microstrip filter with defected ground structure: A close perspective," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 5, No. 5, 589-602, 2013. doi:10.1017/S1759078713000639
17. Parvathy, A. and T. Mathew, "An arrow headed modified cross slot array antenna with dual band characteristics and circular polarisation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 74, 33-40, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM18081202