This paper proposes a hybrid excited permanent magnet vernier motor for low-speed and high torque applications in electrical drive. Traditional PM vernier motors are with PM excitation field, and the air-gap magnetic field density is hard to adjust, which limit the wide speed range of PM motor. The hybrid excitation method is proposed in the PM vernier with excitation windings set in the region between modulation pole pieces. With the finite analysis method, the basic structure and the working principle of the proposed motor are introduced, and the low-speed and high-torque characteristics with wide speed range are revealed. Then, the drive control system of the motor is designed and applied with the prototype motor. Finally, the experimental results verify the reliability and effectiveness of the design theory and simulation results.
1. Petkar, S.-G., K. Eshwar, and V.-K. Thippiripati, "A modified model predictive current control of permanent magnet synchronous motor drive," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 68, No. 2, 1025-1034, 2021. doi:10.1109/TIE.2020.2970671
2. Arafat, A.-K.-M. and S. Choi, "Optimal phase advance under fault-tolerant control of a five- phase permanent magnet assisted synchronous reluctance motor," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 65, No. 4, 2915-2924, 2018. doi:10.1109/TIE.2017.2750620
3. Chen, Y., X. Zhu, L. Quan, Z. Xiang, Y. Du, and X. Bu, "A V-shaped PM vernier motor with enhanced flux-modulated effect and low torque ripple," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 54, No. 11, 2018.
4. Shen, Y. and Q. Lu, "Design and analysis of linear hybrid-excited slot permanent magnet machines," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 54, No. 11, 2018.
5. Hua, H. and Z.-Q. Zhu, "Novel hybrid-excited switched-flux machine having separate field winding stator," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 52, No. 7, 2016. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2016.2522920
6. Zheng, M., Z.-Q. Zhu, S. Cai, H.-Y. Li, and Y. Liu, "Influence of magnetic saturation and rotor eccentricity on back EMF of novel hybrid-excited stator slot opening permanent magnet machine," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 54, No. 11, 2018.
7. Liu, Y., Z. Zhang, C. Wang, W. Geng, and H. Wang, "Electromagnetic performance analysis of a new hybrid excitation synchronous machine for electric vehicle applications," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 54, No. 11, 2018.
8. Tapia, J.-A., F. Leonardi, and T.-A. Lipo, "Consequent pole permanent magnet machine with extended field weakening capability," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 39, No. 6, 1704-1709, 2003. doi:10.1109/TIA.2003.818993
9. Lin, N., et al., "Mathematical model and equivalent analysis of a novel hybrid excitation synchronous machine," Transactions of China Electrotechnical Society, Vol. 32, No. 3, 149-156, 2017.
10. Du, Y., et al., "Principle and analysis of doubly salient PM motor with π-shaped stator iron core segments," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 66, No. 3, 1962-1972, 2019. doi:10.1109/TIE.2018.2838060
11. Cheng, M., P. Han, and W. Hua, "General airgap field modulation theory for electrical machines," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 64, No. 8, 6063-6074, 2015. doi:10.1109/TIE.2017.2682792
12. Du, Y., et al., "Design and analysis of linear stator permanent magnet vernier machines," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 47, No. 10, 4219-4222, 2011. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2011.2156392
13. Xu, L., G. Liu, W. Zhao, J. Ji, and X. Fan, "High-performance fault tolerant halbach permanent magnet vernier machines for safety-critical applications," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 52, No. 7, 2016.
14. Ching, T.-W., K.-T. Chau, and W. Li, "Power factor improvement of a linear vernier permanent- magnet machine using auxiliary DC field excitation," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 52, No. 7, 2016. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2016.2524533
15. Liu, X., et al., "A new magnetic field modulation type of brushless double-fed machine," IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, Vol. 28, No. 3, 2018.
16. Li, J. and K. Wang, "A parallel hybrid excited machine using consequent pole rotor and AC field winding," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 55, No. 6, 2019.
17. Tarimer, I., "Investigation of the effects of rotor pole geometry and permanent magnet to line start permanent magnet synchronous motor's efficiency," Elektronika Ir Elektrotechnika, Vol. 90, No. 2, 67-72, 2009.
18. Tarimer, I. and R. Gurbuz, "Sizing of electrical motors for gearless and directly stimulating applications," Elektronika Ir Elektrotechnika, Vol. 84, No. 4, 21-26, 2008.
19. Tarimer, I., A. Akpunar, and R. Gurbuz, "Design of a direct sliding gearless electrical motor for an ergonomic electrical wheelchair," Elektronika ir Elektrotechnika, Vol. 83, No. 3, 75-80, 2008.
20. Tarimer, I. and A. Akpunar, "Designing an ergonomic electric wheelchair in which is settled gearless and direct drive electric motor," 3rd Automation Symposium, 21-25, Pamukkale University, Denizli, November 11-12, 2008.