In active phased arrays, T/R module performance drifts due to active components' aging and thermal effect. Hence periodic online field calibration is required during the deployment of a radar system. This paper presents an innovative design of a precise and consistent calibration network consisting of a buried leaky coaxial cable (LCX) and a calibration switch network (CSN) for fast periodic field calibration of an active phased array. In the antenna plate, leaky coaxial cables are buried within the wall of the cavity-backed antenna to realize calibration lines. A 1:30 way Wilkinson power divider/combiner is realized as a calibration switching network for simultaneous excitation of multiple calibration lines to characterize multiple radiating elements in the active array. An S-Band (3.3 GHz ± 200 MHz) experimental active array with 64T/R modules is configured and tested in the near-field test range (NFTR) to demonstrate the performance of the proposed calibration network. Simultaneous excitation of multiple radiating elements significantly reduces array calibration time and provides more flexibility to other multifunction radar functions. The availability of multiple receivers and non-overlapping RF beam forming networks in the radar system limits the improvement factor in array calibration time mentioned in this paper.
Chakkandan Arjunan Sreejith,
Upendra Shankar Pandey,
Ravi Kumar Gangwar,
"Demonstration and Performance Appraisal of Calibration Network for Multi-Element Calibration in Active Phased Array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 112, 217-230, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERM22031607
1. Seker, I., "Calibration methods for phased array radars," Proc. of SPIE, Radar Sensor Technology XVII, Vol. 8714, 87140W, May 31, 2013. doi:10.1117/12.2015694
2. Lee, K.-M., R.-S. Chu, and S.-C. Liu, "A built-in Performance-Monitoring/Fault Isolation and Correction (PM/FIC) system for active phased-array antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 41, No. 11, 1530-1540, Nov. 1993.
3. Chae, S. C., H. W. Jo, J. I. Oh, G. Kim, and J. W. Yu, "Coupler integrated microstrip patch linear phased array for self-calibration," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 19, No. 9, 1615-1619, Sept. 2020. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2020.3011862
4. Salas-Natera, M. A., R. M. Rodriguez-Osorio, and L. de Haro, "Procedure for measurement, characterization, and calibration of active antenna arrays," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 62, No. 2, 377-391, Feb. 2013. doi:10.1109/TIM.2012.2217662
5. Hampson, G. A. and A. B. Smolders, "A fast and accurate scheme for calibration of active phased-array antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1999 Digest, Held in conjunction with: USNC/URSI National Radio S, Vol. 2, 1040-1043, Orlando, FL, 1999.
6. Hu, C., "A novel method for calibrating deployed active antenna arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 4, 1650-1657, Apr. 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2398119
7. Babur, G., G. O. Manokhin, E. A. Monastyrev, A. A. Geltser, and A. A. Shibelgut, "Simple calibration technique for phased array radar systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 55, 109-119, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERM16101203
8. Kim, K. S., E. Yang, and N. H. Myung, "Self-calibration of an active uniform linear array using phase gradient characteristics," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, No. 3, 497-501, Mar. 2019. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2019.2895268
9. Fadamiro, A. O., A. A. Semomhe, O. J. Famoriji, and F. Lin, "A multiple element calibration algorithm for active phased array antenna," IEEE Journal on Multiscale and Multiphysics Computational Techniques, Vol. 4, 163-170, 2019. doi:10.1109/JMMCT.2019.2923113
10. Long, R., J. Ouyang, F. Yang, W. Han, and L. Zhou, "Multi-element phased array calibration method by solving linear equations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 6, 2931-2939, Jun. 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2694767
11. Keizer, W. P. M. N., "Fast and accurate array calibration using a synthetic array approach," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 11, 4115-4122, Nov. 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2164171
12. Keizer, W. P. M. N., "Fast and accurate array calibration using a synthetic array approach," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 11, 4115-4122, Nov. 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2164171
13. Hou, Y., H. Shang, M. Yang, and C. Jin, "Method of multichannel calibration for unmanned aerial vehicle surveillance radar," The Journal of Engineering, Vol. 2019, No. 21, 7864-7867, 2019. doi:10.1049/joe.2019.0651
14. Takahashi, T., Y. Konishi, S. Makino, H. Ohmine, and H. Nakaguro, "Fast measurement technique for phased array calibration," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 7, 1888-1899, Jul. 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.924682
16. Wang, J. H. and K. K. Mei, "Theory and analysis of leaky coaxial cables with periodic slots," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, No. 12, 1723-1732, Dec. 2001. doi:10.1109/8.982452
17. Kumar, V., C. A. Sreejith, U. S. Pandey, K. S. Beenamole, and R. K. Gangwar, "Design investigation of leaky coaxial cable as coupler for active phased array calibration," 2019 IEEE Indian Conference on Antennas and Propagation (InCAP), 1-5, 2019.
18. Mini-Circuits, "Ultra-small Ceramic power splitter/combiner,", SCN-2-35+ datasheet, Rev. D Mar. 2006.
19. Analog Devices, "High power, 44 W Peak, Silicon SPDT Reflective Switch, 0.7 GHz to 3.5 GHz,", ADRF5130 datasheet, Rev. A Feb. 2017.
20. JQL Electronics Inc., "SMT Circulator,", JCM3050T3550PV5-AST datasheet, Rev. A May 2018.
21. Anaren, "Surface mount attenuator 150 Watts,", Model D150NA30C4 datasheet, Rev. B Apr. 2019.
22. Aoki, Y., S.-G. Yang, Y. Hwang, S. Kim, and Y. K. Kim, "Asynchronous 256-element phased-array calibration for 5G base station," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 31, No. 6, 798-801, Jun. 2021. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2021.3058955
23. Nafe, A., A. H. Aljuhani, K. Kibaroglu, M. Sayginer, and G. M. Rebeiz, "In-situ self-test and self-calibration of dual-polarized 5G TRX phased arrays leveraging orthogonal-polarization antenna couplings," 2020 IEEE/MTT-S International Microwave Symposium (IMS), 1081-1084, 2020. doi:10.1109/IMS30576.2020.9224039
24. Gal-Katziri, M., A. Fikes, F. Bohn, B. Abiri, M. R. Hashemi, and A. Hajimiri, "Scalable, deployable, flexible phased array sheets," 2020 IEEE/MTT-S International Microwave Symposium (IMS), 1085-1088, 2020. doi:10.1109/IMS30576.2020.9224066
25. Hong, Z., S. Schonherr, V. Chauhan, and B. Floyd, "Free-space phased-array characterization and calibration using code-modulated embedded test," 2019 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium (IMS), 1225-1228, 2019. doi:10.1109/MWSYM.2019.8701098