A defected ground structure (DGS) loaded slotted patch antenna is proposed in this article to achieve multiband response with minimization of cross polar radiations in both the radiation planes. Besides, the antenna in this work achieves reduction in cross polar radiation at all its resonating bands with a simple inset feeding mechanism. Loading of identical U-shaped slots in the patch helps the antenna to achieve dual resonance characteristics and also leads to minimize the orthogonal E-field components. Along with the slotted patch, implementation of DGS results in multiple current paths leading to additional resonances in lower frequency range and also suppresses the strong leakage current in the ground plane. Moreover, three identical slots are loaded at the edges of the ground which balance the strong E-field components in opposite direction improving the reflection coefficient at the different resonating bands. The proposed antenna achieves multi-resonance characteristics operated in 2.44-2.56, 5.45-5.52, 6-6.13, 7.43-8.04, and 8.99-9.17 GHz. Minimization of orthogonal E-field components and suppression of leakage current are responsible for obtaining minimum cross polar radiation from the antenna as -39.08 and -41.01 dB in E- and H-planes, respectively.
Rajib Kumar Dash,
Puspendu Bikash Saha,
"Slotted Patch Based Multiband Antenna with Multiple DGS Effect to Suppress Cross Polarized Radiation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 120, 179-193, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERC22031707
1. Poddar, R., S. Chakraborty, and S. Chattopadhyay, "Improved cross polarization and broad impedance bandwidth from simple single element shorted rectangular microstrip patch: theory and experiment," Frequenz, Vol. 70, No. 1-2, 1-9, 2016, DOI 10.1515/freq-2015-0105. doi:10.1515/freq-2015-0105
2. Ghosh, A., S. Chattopadhyay, L. L. K. Singh, et al. "Wide bandwidth microstrip antenna with defected patch surface for low cross polarization applications," Int J RF Microw Comput Aided Eng., Vol. e21127, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/mmce.21127.
3. Singh, A., S. Vijay, and R. N. Baral, "Low cross-polarization improved-gain rect- angular patch antenna," Electronics, Vol. 8, 1189, 2019, doi:10.3390/electronics8101189, www.mdpi.com/journal/electronics. doi:10.3390/electronics8101189
4. Liu, N., S. Gao, L. Zhu, et al. "Low-profile microstrip patch antenna with simultaneous enhanced bandwidth, beamwidth, and cross-polarization under dual resonance," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 14, No. 5, 360-365, The Institution of Engineering and Technology, 2020. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2019.0565
5. Shi, H., S. Zhu, J. Li, et al. "Cross-polarization suppression in C-shaped microstrip patch antenna employing anisotropic dielectrics," Journal Of Advanced Dielectrics, Vol. 7, No. 4, 1750026 (5 pages), 2017, DOI: 10.1142/S2010135X17500266. doi:10.1142/S2010135X17500266
6. Ghosh, C. K., B. Rana, and S. K. Parui, "Reduction of cross polarization of slotted microstrip antenna array using spiral-ring resonator," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, No. 9, 2013, DOI 10.1002/mop.
7. Huang, H., X. Zhang, S. Xie, W. Wu, and N. Yuan, "Suppression of cross-polarization of the microstrip integrated balun-fed printed dipole antenna," Hindawi Publishing Corporation International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2014, 8 pages, Article ID 765891, 2014, http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/765891.
8. Meng, C., J. Shi, and J. Chen, "Flat-gain dual-patch antenna with multi-radiation nulls and low cross-polarization," Electronics Letters, Vol. 54, No. 3, 114-116, 2018. doi:10.1049/el.2017.3840
9. Heydari, R. D. and N. Moghadasi, "Introduction of a novel technique for the reduction of cross po- larization of rectangular microstrip patch antenna with elliptical DGS," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 8-9, 1214-1222, 2008, DOI: 10.1163/156939308784158788. doi:10.1163/156939308784158788
10. Wang, C. J., "Methods of suppression of cross-polarized power for the CPW-fed monopole antenna," Microw Opt Technol. Lett., Vol. 59, 1968-1975, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.30657. doi:10.1002/mop.30657
11. Acharjee, J., A. K. Singh, K. Mandal, et al. "Defected ground structure toward cross polarization reduction of microstrip patch antenna with improved impedance matching," Radio Engineering, Vol. 28, No. 1, April 2019, DOI: 10.13164/re.2019.0033.
12. Khouser, H. and Y. K. Choukiker, "Cross polarization reduction using DGS in microstrip patch antenna," International conference on Microelectronic Devices, Circuits and Systems (ICMDCS), 10-12, August 2017, Vellore, India, DOI: 10.1109/ICMDCS.2017.8211577.
13. Anita, R. and M. V. Kumar, "Cross polarization reduction of a circular polarized microstrip antenna with two L slot DGS for wireless applications," International Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics, Vol. 120, No. 6, 1173-1188, 2018.
14. Dash, R. K., P. B. Saha, and D. Ghoshal, "Design of a equally spaced u shaped slotted patch antenna with defected ground structure for multiband applications," 7th International Conference on Signal Processing and Integrated Networks (SPIN), Noida, India, February 27-28, 2020, DOI: 10.1109/SPIN48934.2020.9071199.
15. Badr, S. and K. I. Ehab, "Design of multiband microstrip patch antenna for WiMax, C-band and X-band applications," Aswan Engineering Journal (AswEJ), 2018, https://www.researchgate.net/publication/324597715.
16. Kaushal, D. and T. Shanmuganantham, "A Vinayak slotted rectangular microstrip patch antenna design for C-band applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 59, 1833-1837, 2017, https://doi.org/10. 1002/mop.30628. doi:10.1002/mop.30628
17. Roy, B., A. Bhattacharya, S. Mondal, et al. "Size miniaturization of microstrip antenna embedded with open-ended grounded slots," J. Comput. Electron., 2017, DOI 10.1007/s10825-017-0995-6.
18. Hajlaoui, A. E., "New triple band electromagnetic band gap microstrip patch antenna with two shaped parasitic elements," J. Comput. Electron., 2017, DOI 10.1007/s10825-017-1100-x.
19. Ali, T., K. D. Prasad, and R. C. Biradar, "A miniaturized slotted multiband antenna for wireless applications," Journal of Computational Electronics, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10825-018-1183-z.
20. Dash, R. K., P. B. Saha, D. Ghoshal, and G. Palai, "Design of triangular shaped slotted patch antennas for both wideband and multiband applications," International Journal of Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics, Vol. 68, No. 3, 275-294, 2022. doi:10.3233/JAE-210098