This paper presents a dual-band dual-polarized antenna including one L-band vertically polarized antenna, four C-band horizontally polarized subarrays and four C-band vertically polarized subarrays. Both the L- and C-band radiation elements are designed based on the concept of slotted coaxial waveguide antenna. The coaxial waveguide structure is in rectangular shape which is suitable for multi-element integration. And bending stripline inside the waveguide cavity plays the role of inner connector for the coaxial waveguide and exciter for radiating slots on the waveguide. Results show that impedance bandwidths of 14.9% for L-band and 5.9% for C-band are obtained with good port isolation. The antenna also exhibits good radiation performance with the low cross-polarization. The results indicate that the proposed antenna is suitable for synthetic aperture radar applications.
1. Ravindra, V., P. R. Akbar, M. Zhang, J. Hirokawa, H. Saito, and A. Oyama, "A dual-polarization X- band traveling-wave antenna panel for small-satellite synthetic aperture radar," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 5, 2144-2156, 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2676760
2. Pozar, D. M. and S. D. Targonski, "A shared-aperture dual-band dual-polarized microstrip array," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, No. 2, 150-157, 2001. doi:10.1109/8.914255
3., "A broadband shared-aperture L/S/X-band dual-polarized antenna for SAR applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 51417-51425, 2019.
4. Xu, J., C.-J. Guo, and J. Ding, "Compact tri-band dual-polarized shared aperture array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 104, 101-110, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERM21072303
5. Shafai, L. L., W. A. Chamma, M. Barakat, P. C. Strickland, and G. Seguin, "Dual-band dual-polarized perforated microstrip antennas for SAR applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 48, No. 1, 58-66, 2000. doi:10.1109/8.827386
6. Stevenson, A. F., "Theory of slots in rectangular wave-guides," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 19, 24-38, 1948. doi:10.1063/1.1697868
7. Wang, W., S. S. Zhong, Y. M. Zhang, and X. L. Liang, "A broadband slotted ridge waveguide antenna array," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 8, 2416-2420, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.879216
8. Lu, J. G., et al., "Broadband, dual-polarized waveguide slot filtenna array with low cross-polarization and high-efficiency," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 1, 151-159, 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2876174
9. Chen, M., X. C. Fang, W. Wang, H. T. Zhang, and G. L. Huang, "Dual-band dual-polarized waveguide slot antenna for SAR applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 19, No. 10, 1719-1723, 2020. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2020.3014878
10. Chen, Y. and R. G. Vaughan, "Dual-polarized L-band and single-polarized X-band shared-aperture SAR array," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 7, 3391-3400, 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2829817
11. Kiang, J. F., "Radiation properties of circum ferential slots on a coaxial cable," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Technology, Vol. 45, No. 1, 102-107, 1997. doi:10.1109/22.552038
12. Razmhosseini, M., R. Zabihi, and R. G. Vaughan, "Wideband antennas using coaxial waveguide," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 69, No. 10, 6273-6283, 2021. doi:10.1109/TAP.2021.3070121