This paper presents a highly directive pattern reconfigurable antenna array capable of switching single or multiple beams of high directivity in multiple directions. Each element is individually capable of providing radiation pattern of directivity 12 dB and realized gain of 10.2 dB. Here, eight directive array elements are arranged in a circular fashion resembling a fan along with a switching arrangement to obtain beam switching in the horizontal plane. Two or more elements can be excited simultaneously to obtain patterns in multiple directions. In another configuration, the elements are arranged around a cylindrical support resembling an umbrella structure to obtain azimuthal switching at a desired tilt. The ability to reconfigure patterns in desired direction facilitates their usage as base station antennas providing desired angular coverage to intended users only, resulting in least signal interference.
1. Siachalou, E., E. Vafiadis, S. S. Goudos, T. Samaras, C. S. Koukourlis, and S. Panas, "On the design of switched-beam wideband base stations," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 46, No. 1, 158-167, 2004. doi:10.1109/MAP.2004.1296180
2. Kim, D.-S., D.-H. Hong, H.-S. Kwon, and J.-M. Yang, "A design of switch array antenna with performance improvement for 77 GHz automotive FMCW radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 66, 107-121, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERB16010401
3. Sudhakar Rao, K., G. A. Morin, M. Q. Tang, S. Richard, and K. K. Chan, "Development of a 45 GHz multiple-beam antenna for military satellite communications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 43, No. 10, 1036-1047, Oct. 1995. doi:10.1109/8.467639
4. Basari, et al., "Simple switched-beam antenna system for mobile satellite applications," 2008 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, San Diego, CA, 2008.
5. Harrington, R. F., "Reactively controlled directive arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 26, No. 3, 390-395, 1978. doi:10.1109/TAP.1978.1141852
6. Preston, S. L., D. V. Thiel, J. W. Lu, S. G. O'Keefe, and T. S. Bird, "Electronic beam steering using switched parasitic patch elements," Electronics Letters, Vol. 33, No. 1, 7-8, Jan. 1997. doi:10.1049/el:19970048
7. Zhang, S., G. H. Huff, J. Feng, and J. T. Bernhard, "A pattern reconfigurable microstrip parasitic array," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 10, 2773-2776, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.834372
8. Rohani, B., Y. Shun, and H. Arai, "Analysis of super-directive array with switchable beam pattern," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 173-175, Malaysia, Nov. 2017.
9. Clarricoats, P. J. B., H. Zhou, and A. Monk, "Electrically controlled reconfigurable reflector antenna," Antennas and Propagation Society Symposium, 1991 Digest, Vol. 1, 179-181, Ontario, Canada, 1991.
10. Sarkar, T. K., R. Mailloux, A. A. Oliner, M. Salazar-Palma, and D. L. Sengupta, "A history of phased array antennas," History of Wireless, 567-603, John Wiley & Sons, IEEE, 2006.
14. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., Chapter 6, 297-317, 2005, 2005.
15. Kamarudin, M. R. and P. S. Hall, "Switched beam antenna array with parasitic elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 13, 187-201, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09011603
16. Catarinucci, L., S. Guglielmi, R. Colella, and L. Tarricone, "Compact switched-beam antennas enabling novel power-efficient wireless sensor networks," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 14, No. 9, 3252-3259, Sept. 2014. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2014.2326971
17. Ren, J., X. Yang, J. Yin, and Y. Yin, "A novel antenna with reconfigurable patterns using H-shaped structures," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 915-918, Dec. 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2387292
18. Jin, G., M. Li, D. Liu, and G. Zeng, "A simple planar pattern-reconfigurable antenna based on arc dipoles," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 9, 1664-1668, Sept. 2018. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2018.2862624
19. Dihissou, A., A. Diallo, P. Le Thuc, and R. Staraj, "Directive and reconfigurable loaded antenna array for wireless sensor networks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 84, 103-117, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC18032403
20. Chen, S., P. Qin, W. Lin, and Y. J. Guo, "Pattern reconfigurable antenna with five switchable beams in elevation plane," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 3, 454-457, Mar. 2018. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2018.2794990
21. Batel, L., A. Clemente, and C. Delaveaud, "Superdirective and compact electronically-beam-switchable antenna for smart communication objects," 2019 13th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-4, Krakow, Poland, 2019.
22. Dinesh, S., C. Vinisha, D. D. Krishna, J. M. Laheurte, and C. Aanandan, "Highly directive planar end-fire antenna array," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 106, 45-59, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERC20080802