A planar, handheld device size compatible, multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) antenna design is proposed. The antenna system has five antennas which cover multiple wireless bands. One pair of elements covers the frequencies below 1 GHz (559 MHz to 828 MHz) for Long term evolution (LTE) and Cognitive radio (CR) applications and frequency bands 1.68 GHz to 1.77 GHz, 2.48 GHz to 2.63 GHz, 3.3 GHz to 3.4 GHz, and 5.79 GHz to 6 GHz for Internet of Things (IoT). The other pair is a modified truncated tetrahedron wideband antenna which covers multiple bands like 854 MHz to 958 MHz, 1.38 GHz to 1.56 GHz, 1.75 GHz to 1.87 GHz, 2.08 GHz to 2.49 GHz, 3.29 GHz to 3.47 GHz and 4.09 GHz to 6 GHz including the triple radio frequency identification (RFID) bands. The antenna is designed and simulated using CST microwave studio simulator and antenna prototype is fabricated to obtain the experimental results.
1. Shereen, M. K., M. I. Khattak, and J. Nebhen, "A review of achieving frequency reconfiguration through switching in microstrip patch antennas for future 5G applications," Alexandria Engineering Journal, Vol. 61, No. 1, 29-40, 2022. doi:10.1016/j.aej.2021.04.105
2. Kim, G. and K. Sangkil, "Design and analysis of dual polarized broadband microstrip patch antenna for 5G mm wave antenna module on FR4 substrate," IEEE Access, Vol. 9, 64306-64316, 2021. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2021.3075495
3. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, London, U.K., 2003.
4. Haykin, S., "Cognitive radio: Brain-empowered wireless communications," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 23, No. 2, 201-220, 2005. doi:10.1109/JSAC.2004.839380
5. Tawk, Y., J. Costantine, and C. Christodoulou, Antenna Design for Cognitive Radio, Artech House Boston, USA, 2016.
6. De Flaviis, F., L. Jofre, J. Romeu, and A. Grau, "Multiantenna systems for MIMO communications," Synthesis Lectures on Antennas, Vol. 3, No. 1, 1-250, 2008. doi:10.1007/978-3-031-01536-6
7. Varzakas, P., "Estimation of radio capacity of a spread spectrum cognitive radio rayleigh fading system," ACM Proceedings of the 17th Pan-Hellenic Conference on Informatics with International Participation, 63-66, 2013.
8. Bakulin, M. G., V. B. Kreindelin, and D. Y. Pankratov, "Analysis of the capacity of MIMO channel in fading conditions," 2018 Systems of Signal Synchronization, Generating and Processing in Telecommunications (SYNCHROINFO), 1-6, 2018.
9. Chitra, M. P., S. Divya, M. Premkumar, V. Tamilselvi, and N. Karthika, "MIMO cognitive radio capacity in flat fading channel," 2017 Third International Conference on Science Technology Engineering & Management (ICONSTEM), 915-919, 2017. doi:10.1109/ICONSTEM.2017.8261335
10. Cheng, B. and Z. Du, "Dual polarization MIMO antenna for 5G mobile phone applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 69, No. 7, 4160-4165, 2020. doi:10.1109/TAP.2020.3044649
11. Chen, Y. S. and C. P. Chang, "Design of a four-element multiple-input-multiple-output antenna for compact long-term evolution small-cell base stations," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 10, No. 4, 385-392, 2016. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2015.0540
12. Chen, W. S. and K. H. Lai, "Compact design of MIMO antennas for LTE 700 application," 2015 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 1148-1149, 2015. doi:10.1109/APS.2015.7304962
13. Singh, H. S., G. K. Pandey, P. K. Bharti, and M. K. Meshram, "Compact printed diversity antenna for LTE700/GSM1700/1800/UMTS/Wi-Fi/Bluetooth/LTE2300/2500 applications for slim mobile handsets," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 56, 83-91, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERC14122601
14. Naser, A. A., K. Sayidmarie, and J. S. Aziz, "Compact high isolation meandered-line PIFA antenna for LTE (band-class-13) handset applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 67, 153-164, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERC16062006
15. Jan, M. A., D. N. Aloi, and M. S. Sharawi, "A 2 x 1 compact dual band MIMO antenna system for wireless handheld terminals," 2012 IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium, 23-26, 2012. doi:10.1109/RWS.2012.6175292
16. Ikram, M., R. Hussain, A. Ghalib, and M. S. Sharawi, "Compact 4-element MIMO antenna with isolation enhancement for 4G LTE terminals," 2016 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (APSURSI), 535-536, 2016. doi:10.1109/APS.2016.7695976
17. Ikram, M. and M. S. Sharawi, "Compact 10-element monopole based MIMO antenna system for 4G mobile phones," 2016 16th Mediterranean Microwave Symposium (MMS), 1-2, 2016.
18. Shoaib, S., I. Shoaib, N. Shoaib, X. Chen, and C. Parini, "Compact and printed MIMO antennas for 2G/3G and 4G-LTE mobile tablets," 2015 IEEE-APS Topical Conference on Antennas and Propagation in Wireless Communications (APWC), 674-677, 2015. doi:10.1109/APWC.2015.7300174
19. Li, S., L. Da Xu, and S. Zhao, "The internet of things: A survey," Information Systems Frontiers, 243-259, 2015. doi:10.1007/s10796-014-9492-7
20. Zaman, M. R., R. Azim, N. Misran, M. F. Asillam, and T. Islam, "Development of a semielliptical partial ground plane antenna for RFID and GSM-900," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 2014.
21. Bukhari, B., C. Singh, K. R. Jha, and S. K. Sharma, "Planar MIMO antennas for IoT and CR applications," 2017 IEEE Applied Electromagnetics Conference (AEMC), 1-2, 2017.
22. Bashir, U., K. R. Jha, G. Mishra, G. Singh, and S. K. Sharma, "Octahedron-shaped linearly polarized antenna for multistandard services including RFID and IoT," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 7, 3364-3373, 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2705097
23. Ebrahimi, E. and P. S. Hall, "A dual port wide-narrowband antenna for cognitive radio," 2009 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 809-812, 2009.
24. Al-Husseini, M., Y. Tawk, C. G. Christodoulou, K. Y. Kabalan, and A. El Hajj, "A reconfigurable cognitive radio antenna design," 2010 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, 2010.
25. Tawk, Y., J. Costantine, K. Avery, and C. G. Christodoulou, "Implementation of a cognitive radio front-end using rotatable controlled reconfigurable antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 5, 1773-1778, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2122239
26. Mansoul, A., F. Ghanem, M. R. Hamid, and M. Trabelsi, "A selective frequency-reconfigurable antenna for cognitive radio applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 515-518, 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2311114
27. Cao, Y., S. W. Cheung, X. L. Sun, and T. I. Yuk, "Frequency-reconfigurable monopole antenna with wide tuning range for cognitive radio," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, No. 1, 145-152, 2014. doi:10.1002/mop.28070
28. Zheng, S. H., X. Y. Liu, and M. M. Tentzeris, "A novel optically controlled reconfigurable antenna for cognitive radio systems," 2014 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1246-1247, 2014. doi:10.1109/APS.2014.6904950
29. Erfani, E., J. Nourinia, C. Ghobadi, M. Niroo-Jazi, and T. A. Denidni, "Design and implementation of an integrated UWB/reconfigurable-slot antenna for cognitive radio applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 77-80, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2182631
30. Srivastava, G., A. Mohan, and A. Chakrabarty, "Compact reconfigurable UWB slot antenna for cognitive radio applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 1139-1142, 2016.
31. Nachouane, H., A. Najid, A. Tribak, and F. Riouch, "Dual port antenna combining sensing and communication tasks for cognitive radio," International Journal of Electronics and Telecommunications, Vol. 62, No. 2, 121-127, 2016. doi:10.1515/eletel-2016-0016
32. Hu, Z. H., P. S. Hall, and P. Gardner, "Reconfigurable dipole-chassis antennas for small terminal MIMO applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, No. 17, 953-955, 2011. doi:10.1049/el.2011.1801
33. Chacko, B. P., G. Augustin, and T. A. Denidni, "Electronically reconfigurable uniplanar antenna with polarization diversity for cognitive radio applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 213-216, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2360353
34. Cheng, S. P. and K. H. Lin, "A reconfigurable monopole MIMO antenna with wideband sensing capability for cognitive radio using varactor diodes," 2015 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 2233-2234, 2015. doi:10.1109/APS.2015.7305505
35. Tawk, Y., F. Ayoub, C. G. Christodoulou, and J. Costantine, "A MIMO cognitive radio antenna system," 2013 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 572-573, 2013. doi:10.1109/APS.2013.6710946
36. Hussain, R. and M. S. Sharawi, "Integrated reconfigurable multiple-input-multiple-output antenna system with an ultra-wideband sensing antenna for cognitive radio platforms," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 9, No. 9, 940-947, 2015. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2014.0605
38. Jha, K. R. and S. K. Sharma, "Combination of frequency agile and quasi-elliptical planar monopole antennas in MIMO implementations for handheld devices," IEEE Antennas Propagation Mag., Vol. 60, 118-131, 2018. doi:10.1109/MAP.2017.2774198
39. Fakharian, M. M., P. Rezaei, and A. A. Orouji, "A novel slot antenna with reconfigurable meander- slot DGS for cognitive radio applications," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal (ACES), Vol. 30, No. 7, 748-753, 2015.
40. Hussain, R. and M. S. Sharawi, "Planar four-element frequency agile MIMO antenna system with chassis mode reconfigurability," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 8, 1933-1938, 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.29218