Through-Wall-Imaging (TWI) radar offers considerable advantages for applications that require safety and security, such as disaster survivor rescue and tracking terrorist activities. In such situations, the use of an impulse UWB radar system is constantly increasing due to its ability to provide precise images of hidden targets in a short period of time. This paper presents a new radar system for through-wall imaging using an impulse-radio ultra-wideband (IR-UWB) signal. The radar system is built using a field-programmable gate array (FPGA) board, an oscilloscope, and Vivaldi antennas. The radar system transmits impulse signals, which have a monocycle shape with a 400-picosecond duration and a 4.6 GHz bandwidth. The FPGA board is used to produce impulse signals that have a short time duration in the sub-nanosecond range in order to expand the bandwidth of the generated signal and make the developed radar capable of providing high-resolution images. The FPGA-based implementation of the IR-UWB generator offers the flexibility to modify the spectrum characteristics of the generated signal. The receiver side of the radar system collects the echoes using the principle of synthetic aperture radar (SAR), and then the time-domain back-projection algorithm is applied to the radar echo to form 2D images. An indoor imaging experiment was carried out with two human targets to investigate the imaging capability of the designed IR-UWB radar. The obtained experimental results demonstrate that this radar has the potential to deliver high-resolution images of multiple human targets and identify their locations.
1. Nkwari, P. K. M., S. Sinha, and H. C. Ferreira, "Through-the-wall radar imaging: A review," IETE Technical Review, Vol. 35, No. 6, 631-639, 2017. doi:10.1080/02564602.2017.1364146
2. Verma, P., A. Gaikwad, D. Singh, and M. Nigam, "Analysis of clutter reduction techniques for through wall imaging in UWB range," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 17, 29-48, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09060903
3. Wu, Y., F. Shen, D. Xu, and R. Liu, "An ultra-wideband antenna with low dispersion for ground penetrating radar system," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 21, No. 13, 15171-15179, 2021. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2021.3068522
4. Selvaraj, V., J. B. J. J. Sheela, R. Krishnan, L. Kandasamy, and S. Devarajulu, "Detection of depth of the tumor in microwave imaging using ground penetrating radar algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 96, 191-202, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERM20062201
5. Song, Y., J. Hu, N. Chu, T. Jin, J. Zhang, and Z. Zhou, "Building layout reconstruction in concealed human target sensing via UWB MIMO through-wall imaging radar," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 15, No. 8, 1199-1203, 2018. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2018.2834501
6. Zadeh, A. T., M. Diyap, J. Moll, and V. Krozer, "Towards localization and classification of birds and bats in windparks using multiple FMCW-radars at Ka-band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 109, 1-12, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERM21110502
7. Gao, Z., Y. Jia, S. Liu, and X. Zhang, "Development of ground-based SFCW-ArcSAR system and investigation on point target response," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 109, 137-148, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERM21121702
8. Mahfouz, M., A. Fathy, Y. Yang, E. E. Ali, and A. Badawi, "See-through-wall imaging using ultra wideband pulse systems," 34th Applied Imagery and Pattern Recognition Workshop (AIPR'05), Washington, DC, USA, 2005.
9. Wang, Y., Q. Liu, and A. E. Fathy, "CW and pulse-Doppler radar processing based on FPGA for human sensing applications," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 51, No. 5, 3097-3107, 2012.
10. Crowgey, B. R., E. J. Rothwell, L. C. Kempel, and E. L. Mokole, "Comparison of UWB short-pulse and stepped-frequency radar systems for imaging through barriers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 110, 403-419, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10091306
11. Yang, D., Z. Zhu, J. Zhang, and B. Liang, "The overview of human localization and vital sign signal measurement using handheld IR-UWB through-wall radar," Sensors, Vol. 21, No. 2, 402, 2021. doi:10.3390/s21020402
12. Sadoudi, S., M. S. Azzaz, M. Djeddou, and M. Benssalah, "An FPGA real-time implementation of the Chen's chaotic system for securing chaotic communications," International Journal of Nonlinear Science, Vol. 7, No. 4, 467-474, 2009.
13. Lee, Y. C., Y. K. Chan, and V. Koo, "Design and implementation of field-programmable gate array based fast Fourier transform co-processor using verilog hardware description language," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 92, 47-70, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERB20122806
14. Sharma, R., O. Yurduseven, B. Deka, and V. Fusco, "Hardware enabled acceleration of near-field coded aperture radar physical model for millimetre-wave computational imaging," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 90, 91-108, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERB20112305
15. Yang, Y. and A. E. Fathy, "Development and implementation of a real-time see-through-wall radar system based on FPGA," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 47, No. 5, 1270-1280, 2009. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2008.2010251
16. Chua, M. Y. and V. C. Koo, "FPGA-based chirp generator for high resolution UAV SAR," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 99, 71-88, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09100301
17. Firmansyah, I. and Y. Yamaguchi, "FPGA-based implementation of a chirp signal generator using an OpenCL design," Microprocessors and Microsystems, Vol. 77, 103199, 2020. doi:10.1016/j.micpro.2020.103199
18. Park, Y. and D. D. Wentzloff, "All-digital synthesizable UWB transmitter architectures," IEEE International Conference on Ultra-Wideband, Vol. 2, 29-32, 2008.
19. Duraiswamy, P., X. Li, J. Bauwelinck, J. Vandewege, P. Vaes, and S. Teughels, "Synchronous delay based UWB pulse generator in FPGA," IEICE Electronics Express, Vol. 9, No. 9, 868-873, 2012. doi:10.1587/elex.9.868
20. Saad, M., A. Maali, M. S. Azzaz, and I. Kakouche, "An experimental platform of impulse UWB radar for through-wall imaging based on FPGAs," International Conference on Communications Control Systems and Signal Processing, 198-201, 2020.
21. Tantiparimongkol, L. and P. Phasukkit, "IR-UWB pulse generation using FPGA scheme for through obstacle human detection," Sensors, Vol. 20, No. 13, 3750, 2020. doi:10.3390/s20133750
22. Hu, B. and N. C. Beaulieu, "Pulse shapes for ultrawideband communication systems," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 4, No. 4, 1789-1797, 2005. doi:10.1109/TWC.2005.850311
23. Chen, X. and S. Kiaei, "Monocycle shapes for ultra wideband system," 2002 IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS), Phoenix-Scottsdale, AZ, USA, 2002.
24. Skolnik, M. I., Radar Handbook, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1970.
25. Cui, G., L. Kong, and J. Yang, "A back-projection algorithm to stepped-frequency synthetic aperture through-the-wall radar imaging," IEEE 1st Asian and Pacific Conference on Synthetic Aperture Radar, APSAR 2007, 123-126, 2007.
26. Soumekh, M., Synthetic Aperture Radar Signal Processing with Matlab Algorithms, Wiley, New York, NY, 1999.
27. Barrie, G., "Ultra-wideband synthetic aperture imaging: Data and image processing," Defence RD Canada-Ottawa, Ottawa, 2003.
28. Jin, T., B. Chen, and Z. Zhou, "Image-domain estimation of wall parameters for autofocusing of through-the-wall SAR imagery," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 51, No. 3, 1836-1843, 2012. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2012.2206395
29. Ahmad, F., Y. Zhang, and M. G. Amin, "Three-dimensional wideband beamforming for imaging through a single wall," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 5, 176-179, 2008. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2008.915742
30. X. Inc., 7 series FPGAs GTX/GTH transceivers user guide, Xilinx, 2015.
32. Tahar, Z., X. Derobert, and M. Benslama, "An ultra-wideband modified vivaldi antenna applied to through the ground and wall imaging," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 86, 111-122, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC18051502
33. Wang, Y. and A. E. Fathy, "Advanced system level simulation platform for three-dimensional UWB through-wall imaging SAR using time-domain approach," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 50, No. 5, 1986-2000, 2011. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2011.2170694
34. Dehmollaian, M., M. Thiel, and K. Sarabandi, "Through-the-wall imaging using differential SAR," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 47, No. 5, 1289-1296, 2009. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2008.2010052