In order to improve the practicability and versatility of ultra-wideband (UWB) antennas, a reconfigurable band notch antenna is proposed in this paper. It has a compact size of 18 mm×16 mm×1.6 mm. The reconfigurable band notch function is realized by two small tunable units. The tunable unit makes up of a split ring resonator (SRR), a dielectric substrate, and a varactor diode. The simulation results show that the antenna combines the functions of band notch emergence, removal and movement. The applied reconfigurable method can effectively broaden the continuous movement range of band notch. The measurement proves that the antenna has the band notch reconfigurable function, and the measured results are in good agreement with the simulation ones. The radiation patterns are measured, which are stable and consistent under two modes with and without band notch, showing omnidirectional radiation characteristics. These research results provide reference value for the design of band notch UWB antenna shielding civil narrowband communication band.
1. Emadian, S. R. and J. Ahmadi-Shokouh, "Very small dual band-notched rectangular slot antenna with enhanced impedance bandwidth," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 10, 4529-4534, Oct. 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2456905
2. Deng, J. Y., Y. Z. Yin, S. G. Zhou, and Q. Z. Liu, "Compact ultra-wideband antenna with tri-band notched characteristic," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, No. 21, 1231-1232, Oct. 9, 2008. doi:10.1049/el:20081660
3. Ojaroudi, M. and N. Ojaroudi, "Low profile slot antenna with dual band-notched function for UWB systems," Microw. Opt. Techn. Lett., Vol. 55, No. 5, 951-954, May 2013. doi:10.1002/mop.27488
4. Dissanayake, T. and K. P. Esselle, "Prediction of the notch frequency of slot loaded printed UWB antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 11, 3320-3325, Nov. 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.908792
5. Lee, W. S., D. Z. Kim, K. J. Kim, and J. W. Yu, "Wideband planar monopole antennas with dual band-notched characteristics," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 6, 2800-2806, Jun. 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.874895
6. Chung, K. H., J. M. Kim, and J. Choi, "Wideband microstrip-fed monopole antenna having frequency band-notch function," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 11, 766-768, Nov. 2005. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2005.858969
7. Xu, J., D. Y. Shen, G. T. Wang, X. H. Zhang, X. P. Zhang, and K. Wu, "A small UWB antenna with dual band-notched characteristics," Int. J. Antennas Propag., Vol. 2012, 2012.
8. Azim, R., M. T. Islam, and A. T. Mobashsher, "Design of a dual band-notch UWB slot antenna by means of simple parasitic slits," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 1412-1415, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2288370
9. Rostamzadeh, M., S. Mohamadi, J. Nourinia, C. Ghobadi, and M. Ojaroudi, "Square monopole antenna for UWB applications with novel rod-shaped parasitic structures and novel V-shaped slots in the ground plane," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 446-449, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2193866
10. Zhu, F., et al., "Design and analysis of planar ultra-wideband antenna with dual band-notched function," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 127, 523-536, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12033105
11. Siddiqui, J. Y., C. Saha, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Compact dual-SRR-loaded UWB monopole antenna with dual frequency and wideband notch characteristics," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 100-103, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2356135
12. Jiang, W. and W. Q. Che, "A novel UWB antenna with dual notched bands for WiMAX and WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 293-296, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2190490
13. Choi, N., et al., "Compact UWB antenna with I-shaped band-notch parasitic element for laptop applications," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 580-582, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2021286
14. Ojaroudi, N. and M. Ojaroudi, "Dual band-notch square monopole antenna with a modified ground plane for UWB applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 54, No. 12, 2743-2747, Dec. 2012. doi:10.1002/mop.27209
15. Anagnostou, D. E. and A. A. Gheethan, "A coplanar reconfigurable folded slot antenna without bias network for WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1057-1060, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2031989
16. Horestani, A. K., Z. Shaterian, J. Naqui, F. Martin, and C. Fumeaux, "Reconfigurable and tunable S-shaped split-ring resonators and application in band-notched UWB antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 9, 3766-3776, Sep. 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2585183
17. Saha, C., J. Y. Siddiqui, A. P. Freundorfer, L. A . Shaik, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Active reconfigurable ultra-wideband antenna with complementary frequency notched and narrowband response," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 100802-100809, 2020. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.2997933
18. Yang, H. L., X. L. Xi, L. L.Wang, Y. C. Zhao, X. M. Shi, and Y. N. Yuan, "Design of reconfigurable filtering ultra-wideband antenna with switchable band-notched functions," Int. J. Microw. Wirel. Technol., Vol. 11, No. 4, 368-375, May 2019. doi:10.1017/S1759078718001587
19. Alam, M. S. and A. Abbosh, "Reconfigurable band-rejection antenna for ultra-wideband applications," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 12, No. 2, 195-202, Feb. 7, 2018. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2017.0442
20. Han, L. P., J. Chen, G. R. Han, X. W. Chen, R. B. Ma, and W. M. Zhang, "A miniaturized reconfigurable unlicensed ultra-wideband antenna with multiple band-notch performance," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput.-Aid. Eng., Vol. 31, No. 8, Aug. 2021.
21. Han, L. P., G. Cheng, G. R. Han, and W. M. Zhang, "Reconfigurable ultra-wideband monopole antenna with single-, dual-, and triple-band notched functions," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput.-Aid. Eng., Vol. 29, No. 9, Sep. 2019.
22. Aghdam, S. A., "Reconfigurable antenna with a diversity filtering band feature utilizing active devices for communication systems," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 61, No. 10, 5223-5228, Oct. 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2273812
23. Sun, J. H., H. Jing, H. C. Zhou, Y. Wang, P. Wang, and Y. F. Qin, "Design of a reconfigurable band-notch SWB antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 99, 1-9, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERL21060703
24. Li, T., C. Zhu, X. Y. Cao, and J. Gao, "Compact UWB antenna with sharp tunable band-notched characteristics," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 58, No. 3, 529-532, Mar. 2016. doi:10.1002/mop.29607
25. Sharbati, V., P. Rezaei, and M. M. Fakharian, "Compact planar UWB antenna with enhanced bandwidth and switchable band-notch function for WLAN and DSRC," IETE J. Res., Vol. 63, No. 6, 805-812, 2017. doi:10.1080/03772063.2017.1329634
26. Lakrit, S., S. Das, A. El Alami, D. Barad, and S. Mohapatra, "A compact UWB monopole patch antenna with reconfigurable band-notched characteristics for Wi-MAX and WLAN applications," AEU --- Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 105, 106-115, 2019. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2019.04.001
27. Elkorany, A. S., G. T. Ahmed, H. A. Mohamed, and Z. F. Elsharkawy, "Reconfigurable band notch butter y-wing shaped ultra-wide band antenna using varactor diodes," Microsyst. Technol., Vol. 27, No. 7, 2695-2703, Jul. 2021. doi:10.1007/s00542-020-05003-4
28. Nemati, N. and M. Bemani, "A novel reconfigurable microstrip fractal UWB antenna with six variable rejection frequency bands," Int. J. Microw. Wirel. Technol., Vol. 12, No. 2, 148-154, Mar. 2020. doi:10.1017/S1759078719001028
29. Gao, P., S. He, X. B. Wei, Z. Q. Xu, N. Wang, and Y. Zheng, "Compact printed UWB diversity slot antenna with 5.5-GHz band-notched characteristics," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 376-379, 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2305772