In this paper, a miniaturized Ultra-Wideband (UWB) flower-shaped radiator antenna is designed and simulated for 2.9 GHz to 14.8 GHz applications in Wireless Body Area Networks (WBAN). To achieve wideband, two alterations have been incorporated into the proposed design i.e. by adopting a flower-shaped patch to enhance bandwidth and by using the defective ground plane, which reduces capacitive effects, increasing impedance matching within the operating band. This innovative antenna has a footprint of 15 mm x 20 mm x 1.6 mm and uses textile material denim as its substrate, making it compatible with portable UWB devices. Aside from these characteristics, the device also has omnidirectional radiation patterns, a peak gain up to 5 dB, and a fidelity factor over 85%. It is found that the simulation and measurement results are in good agreement. In comparison with existing structures, the antennas obtained show wide operating ranges and compact dimensions.
2. Koohestani, M. and M. Golpour, "U-shaped microstrip patch antenna with novel parasitic tuning stubs for ultra-wideband applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 4, No. 7, 938-946, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2244055
3. Gautam, A. K., S. Yadav, and B. K. Kanaujia, "A CPW-fed compact UWB microstrip antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 151-154, 2013. doi:10.1002/mmce.22653
4. Nella, A., A. Bhowmick, and M. Rajagopal, "A novel offset feed flared monopole quasi-Yagi high directional UWB antenna," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 31, No. 6, 2021. doi:10.1002/mmce.20616
5. Jacob, S., V. A. Shameena, S. Mridula, C. K. Anandan, K. Vasudevan, and P. Mohanan, "Planar UWB antenna with modified slotted ground plane," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 22, No. 5, 594-602, 2012. doi:10.1007/s00542-018-04285-z
6. Ali, W. A., H. A. Mohamed, A. A. Ibrahim, and M. Z. Hamdalla, "Gain improvement of tunable band-notched UWB antenna using metamaterial lens for high speed wireless communications," Microsystem Technologies, Vol. 25, No. 11, 4111-4117, 2019. doi:10.1002/mop.11392
7. Choi, S. H., J. K. Park, S. K. Kim, and J. Y. Park, "A new ultra-wideband antenna for UWB applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 40, No. 5, 399-401, 2004. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2019.03.008
8. Tiwari, R. N., P. Singh, and B. K. Kanaujia, "A modified microstrip line fed compact UWB antenna for WiMAX/ISM/WLAN and wireless communications," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 104, 58-65, 2019. doi:10.3390/electronics8020158
9. Rahman, M., et al., "Compact UWB band-notched antenna with integrated bluetooth for personal wireless communication and UWB applications," Electronics, Vol. 8, No. 2, 158, 2019. doi:10.12928/telkomnika.v17i3.9184
10. Elajoumi, S., A. Tajmouati, J. Zbitou, A. Errkik, A. M. Sanchez, and M. Latrach, "Bandwidth enhancement of compact microstrip rectangular antennas for UWB applications," Telkomnika, Vol. 17, No. 3, 1559-1568, 2019. doi:10.12928/telkomnika.v18i1.12666
11. El Hamdouni, A., A. Tajmouati, J. Zbitou, H. Bennis, A. Errkik, L. El Abdellaoui, and M. Latrach, "A low cost fractal CPW fed antenna for UWB applications with a circular radiating patch," Telkomnika, Vol. 18, No. 1, 436-440, 2020.
12. Wang, C., R. Song, S. Jiang, Z. Hu, and D. He, "Low profile and miniaturized dual-band antenna based on graphene assembled film for wearable applications," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Dec. 2021. doi:10.7716/aem.v11i2.1948
13. Mishra, N. and S. Beg, "A miniaturized microstrip antenna for ultra-wideband applications," Advanced Electromagnetics, Vol. 11, No. 2, 54-60, 2022.
14. Parameswari, S. and C. Chitra, "Compact textile UWB antenna with hexagonal for biomedical communication," J. Ambient Intell. Human Comput., 2021. doi:10.3390/mi13010054
15. Kumar, O. P., P. Kumar, and T. Ali, "A compact dual-band notched UWB antenna for wireless applications," Micromachines (Basel), Vol. 13, No. 1, 2021.
16. Doddipalli, S. and A. Kothari, "Compact UWB antenna with integrated triple notch bands for WBAN applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 183-190, 2018. doi:10.1007/s10470-021-01958-0
17. Devana, V. N., et al., "A novel compact fractal UWB antenna with dual band notched characteristics," Analog Integrated Circuits and Signal Processing, Vol. 110, No. 2, 349-360, 2022. doi:10.1590/2179-10742017v16i2917
18. Ebadzadeh, S. R., et al., "A compact UWB monopole antenna with rejected WLAN band using split-ring resonator and assessed by analytic hierarchy process method," Journal of Microwaves, Optoelectronics and Electromagnetic Applications, Vol. 16, 592-601, 2017.
19. Yao, L., et al., "Miniaturization and electromagnetic reliability of wearable textile antennas," Electronics, MPDI, 2021. doi:10.1109/TAP.2020.2970072
20. Lin, X. and Y. Chen, "Ultra-wideband textile antenna for wearable microwave medical imaging applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 68, No. 6, 4238-4249, 2020.
21. Ray, K. P., "Design aspects of printed monopole antennas for ultra-wide band applications," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2008, Article ID: 713858, 8 pages, 2008.
22. Kasi, B., L. C. Ping, and C. K. Chakrabarty, "A compact microstrip antenna for ultra-wideband applications," European Journal of Scientific Research, Vol. 64, No. 1, 45-51, 2011.
23. Prombutr, N., P. Kirawanich, and P. Akkaraekthalin, "Bandwidth enhancement of UWB microstrip antenna with a modified ground plane," International Journal of Microwave Science and Technology, Vol. 2009, Article ID 821515, 7 pages, 2009.
24. Bhavani, S. and T. Shanmuganantham, "Wearable antenna for bio medical applications," 2022 IEEE Delhi Section Conference (DELCON), 1-5, 2022.
25. Bhavani, S. and T. Shanmuganantham, "Analysis of different substrate material on wearable antenna for ISM band applications," Advances in Communication Systems and Networks. Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering, Jayakumari, J., Karagiannidis, G., Ma, M., Hossain, S. (eds), Vol. 656, Springer, Singapore, 2020.
26. Bhavani, S. and T. Shanmuganantham, "Analysis of tumor in the breast using UWB textile antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, May 2022. doi:10.1109/APS/URSI47566.2021.9704255
27. Bhavani, S., "Wearable microstrip circular patch antenna for breast cancer detection," 2021 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and USNC-URSI Radio Science Meeting (APS/URSI), 1273-1274, 2021.