Today's 5G wireless communication evolution system demands millimeter wave frequency range antenna for its uses in several applications for future communication devices. A 2-port Asymmetric Flare-Shape Patch Multiple Input Multiple Output (MIMO) antenna for mm-wave communication system is designed and presented. The antenna structure is constructed on a Rogers RT Duroid 5880 dielectric substrate with 1.6 mm thickness, 2.2 dielectric constant, and 0.0009 loss tangent. The constructed MIMO structure has an overall size of 14×19.2 mm2. The proposed MIMO design has -10 dB return loss performance over a frequency range of 20-40 GHz with more than 20 dB isolation between antenna elements, which shows the low mutual coupling between antenna elements. The performance of the suggested MIMO antenna is reported in terms of return loss, gain, ECC, surface current, and radiation pattern. The simulated and measured MIMO antenna performance characteristics are in good agreement. The suggested design achieves more than 20 dB isolation and 8.17 dB gain with an ECC value lower than 0.0002, which meets the diversity performance of the MIMO design with two antenna elements. The proposed MIMO design is compact and the best choice for 5G mm-wave applications.
"Asymmetric Flare Shape Patch MIMO Antenna for Millimeter Wave 5G Communication Systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 136, 75-86, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERC23033004
1. Malviya, L., R. K. Panigrahi, and M. V. Kartikeyan, "2 x 2 MIMO antenna for ISM band application," 11th International Conference on Industrial and Information System (ICIIS), 794-797, 2016.
2. Agarwal, A. and S. N. Mehta, "Design and performance analysis of MIMO-OFDM system using different antenna configurations," International Conference on Electrical, Electronics, and Optimization Technique, 1-5, 2016.
3. Madany, Y. M., R. A. Abdelrassoul, and N. Mohamed, "Miniaturized beam-switching array antenna with MIMO Direct Conversion Transceiver (MIMO-DCT) system for LTE and wireless communication applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 85, 9-23, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC18051002
4. Agrawal, T. and S. Srivastava, "High gain microstrip MIMO antenna for wireless applications," International Journal of Microwave and Optical Technology, Vol. 12, 74-81, 2017.
5. Mohamed, Y. M., A. M. Dini, M. M. Soliman, and A. Z. M. Imran, "Design of 2 x 2 microstrip patch antenna array at 28 GHz for millimeter wave communication," 2020 IEEE International Conference on Informatics, IoT, and Enabling Technologies (ICIoT), 445-450, Doha, Qatar, 2020.
6. Wang, F., Z. Duan, X. Wang, Q. Zhou, and Y. Gong, "High isolation millimeter-wave wideband MIMO antenna for 5G communication," International Journal on Antennas and Propagation, 1-18, 2019.
7. Lee, W. W., I. J. Hwang, and B. Jang, "End-fire Vivaldi antenna array with wide fan-beam for 5G mobile handsets," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 118299-118304, 2020. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.3004867
8. Malviya, L., R. K. Panigrahi, and M. V. Kartikeyan, "Four element planar MIMO antenna design for long-term evolution operation," IETE Journal of Research, 1-7, 2017.
9. Patel, A., A. Vala, A. Desai, I. Elfergani, H. Mewada, K. Mahant, C. Zebiri, D. Chauhan, and J. Rodriguez, "Inverted-L shaped wideband MIMO antenna for millimeter-wave 5G applications," Electronics, Vol. 11, 1387, 2022. doi:10.3390/electronics11091387
10. Malviya, L., R. K. Panigrahi, and M. V. Kartikeyan, "MIMO antennas with diversity and mutual coupling reduction techniques: A review," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 9, 1763-1780, 2017. doi:10.1017/S1759078717000538
11. Nadeem, I. and D. Y. Choi, "Study on mutual coupling reduction technique for MIMO antennas," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 563-586, 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2885558
12. Sharawi, M. S., "Printed multi-band MIMO antenna systems and their performance metrics," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 55, 220-232, 2013.
13. Sharawi, M. S., A. B. Numan, and D. N. Aloi, "Isolation improvement in a dual-band element MIMO antenna system using capacitively loaded loops," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 134, 247-266, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12090610
14. Paliwal, H. P. and N. Agrawal, "Dumb-bell shaped defected ground structures MIMO antenna for UWB applications," 11th IEEE International Conference on Communication Systems and Network Technologies, 42-48, 2022.
15. Liu, H., W. Yang, A. Zhang, S. Zhu, Z. Wang, and T. Huang, "A miniaturized gain-enhanced antipodal Vivaldi antenna and its array for 5G communication applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 76282-76288, 2018. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2882914
16. Paliwal, H. P., "Design and analysis of E shaped microstrip patch antenna with defected ground structure for improvement of gain and bandwidth," International Conference on Optical & Wireless Technologies, MNIT Jaipur, 195-202, 2020.
17. Honma, N. and K. Murata, "Correlation in MIMO antennas," Electronics (MDPI), Vol. 9, 1-16, 2020.
18. Paliwal, H. P. and N. Agrawal, "Design of polarized 2 x 2 MIMO antenna using partially stepped ground," International Conference on Optical & Wireless Technologies, MNIT Jaipur, 181-188, 2020, ISBN 978-981-16-2818-4 (eBook).
19. Paliwal, H. P. and N. Agrawal, "A 2 x 1 dual-band MIMO antenna using complementary split ring resonator for wireless applications," TEST Engineering and Management, Vol. 82, 111212-111216, 2019.
20. Paliwal, H. P. and N. Agrawal, "Design of circularly polarized MIMO antenna using defective ground structure for wireless applications," IJIRCCE, Vol. 8, No. 6, 2159-2163, June 2020.
21. Tu, D. T. T., N. V. Hoc, P. D. Son, and V. V. Yem, "Design and implementation of dual-band MIMO antenna with low mutual coupling using electromagnetic band gap structures for portable equipment," International Journal of Engineering and Technology Innovation, Vol. 7, 48-60, 2017.
22. Niu, Y., Y. Li, D. Jin, L. Su, and A. V. Vasilakos, "A survey of millimeter wave (mmWave) communications for 5G: Opportunities and challenges," Wireless Networks, Vol. 21, No. 8, 1-17, 2015. doi:10.1007/s11276-015-0942-z