A Multi-Input Multi-Output (MIMO) dual-band antenna useful for advanced wireless services (AWSs) and wireless body area network (WBAN) applications is presented. To have dual bands of operation two techniques were used namely, Defective Ground Structure (DGS) and slotted patch. The lower operating band is spread over 108 MHz from 2.106 GHz to 2.214 GHz which covers AWS, UMTS, and LTE bands. The upper operating band is spread over 221 MHz from 4.141 GHz to 4.362 GHz which covers the WBAN band. The lower operating band is the result of perforation in the patch and inverted T-shaped ground, and the upper operating band is due to the two rectangular slots placed diagonal to each other in the patch and perforations in the ground. High isolation among MIMO elements is observed through a low Envelope Correlation Coefficient (ECC) of 0.0004. The design of a 2 × 2 MIMO antenna is realized using FR4 material with a size of 70 mm × 70 mm × 1.524 mm and Ansys HFSS tool. A high level of correlation between simulated and experimental results is observed which enables the presented MIMO antenna to be perfect for the proposed AWS and WBAN applications.
Nelapati Ananda Rao,
Lalitha Bhavani Konkyana,
"Four Element MIMO Antenna for Wireless Body Area Network and Advanced Wireless Services Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 136, 151-160, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERC23052001
1. Feng, B., C. Zhu, J.-C. Cheng, et al. "A dual-wideband dual-polarized magnetoelectric dipole antenna with dual wide beamwidths for 5G MIMO microcell applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 43346-43355, April 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2906882
2. Wen, D., Y. Hao, H. Wang, and H. Zhou, "Design of a MIMO antenna with high isolation for smartwatch applications using the theory of characteristic modes," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 3, March 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2884849
3. Niu, B.-J. and J.-H. Tan, "Compact self-isolated MIMO antenna system based on quarter-mode SIW cavity," Electronics Letters, Vol. 55, No. 10, 574-576, May 16, 2019. doi:10.1049/el.2019.0606
4. Piao, D. and Y. Wang, "Tripolarized MIMO antenna using a compact single-layer microstrip patch," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 3, March 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2889147
5. Kumar, N. and U. K. Kommuri, "MIMO antenna mutual coupling reduction for WLAN using spiro meander line UC-EBG," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 80, 65-77, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC17101601
6. Firmansyah, T., S. Praptodiyono, Herudin, D. Aribowo, S. Alam, D. WidiAstuti, and M. Yunus, "Bandwidth enhancement and miniaturization of circular-shaped microstrip antenna based on believed half-cut structure for MIMO 2 x 2 application," International Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Vol. 9, No. 2, 1110-1121, 2019.
7. Dkiouak, A., M. El Ouahabi, A. Zakriti, M. Khalladi, and A. Mchbal, "Design of a compact hexagonal structured dual band MIMO antenna using orthogonal polarization for WLAN and satellite applications," International Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Vol. 9, No. 5, 2019.
8. Hamid, A. K. and W. Obaid, "Hexa-band MIMO CPW bow-tie aperture antenna using particle swarm optimization," International Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Vol. 8, No. 5, 2019.
9. Sekhar, M. and N. Suman, "CPW fed super-wideband antenna for microwave imaging application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 130, 201-212, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERC22122707
10. Sura, P. R., M. Sekhar, and K. A. Kumar, "Design of dual-band notched UWB antenna loaded with split ring resonators for wide band rejection," International Journal of Electronics Letters, Vol. 11, 2023.
11. Sekhar, M. and S. Nelaturi, "Wideband circular polarized meandered patch antenna for microwave imaging," Analog Integrated Circuits and Signal Processing, Vol. 111, 81-88, 2022. doi:10.1007/s10470-022-02001-6
12. Sura, P. R., M. Sekhar, and A. K. Kumar, "Quad band printed antenna for Wi-Fi, WLAN, C-band and WiMAX applications," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 124, 437-448, 2022. doi:10.1007/s11277-021-09367-2
13. Sura, P. R. and M. Sekhar, "Circularly polarized dual band dual slot antenna for WLAN, Wi-MAX and Wi-Fi applications," IETE Journal of Research, Vol. 69, No. 3, 2023. doi:10.1080/03772063.2020.1871423
14. Hafezifard, R., M. Naser-Moghadasi, and J. Rashed Mohassel, "Mutual coupling reduction for two closely spaced meander line antennas using metamaterial substrate," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 40-43, IEEE, 2016.
15. Farahani, M., M. Akbari, M. Nedil, and T. A. Denidni, "Mutual coupling reduction in dielectric resonator MIMO antenna arrays using metasurface orthogonalize wall," 2017 11th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), 2017.
16. Farahani, M. and J. Pourahmadazar, "Mutual coupling reduction in millimeter-wave MIMO antenna array using a metamaterial polarization-rotator wall," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2324-2327, IEEE, 2016.
17. Tang, Z., X. Wu, J. Zhan, Z. Xi, and S. Hu, "A novel miniaturized antenna with multiple band- notched characteristics for UWB communication applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 32, No. 15, 1961-1972, 2018. doi:10.1080/09205071.2018.1486235
18. Zhao, X., S. P. Yeo, and L. C. Ong, "Planar UWB MIMO antenna with pattern diversity and isolation improvement for mobile platform based on the theory of characteristic modes," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, No. 1, 420-425, January 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2768083
19. Khan, S. M., A. Iftikhar, S. M. Asif, A.-D. Capobianco, and B. D. Braaten, "A compact four elements UWB MIMO antenna with on-demand WLAN rejection," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 58, No. 2, 270-276, February 2016. doi:10.1002/mop.29546
20. Biswal, S. P. and S. Das, "A low-profile dual port UWB-MIMO/diversity antenna with band rejection ability," Int. J. RF. Microw. Comput.-Aided Eng., Vol. 28, No. 1, Art. No. e21159, January 2017. doi:10.1002/mmce.21159
22. Ojaroudi Parchin, N., H. Jahanbakhsh Basherlou, Y. I. Al-Yasir, A. Ullah, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, and J. M. Noras, "Multi-band MIMO antenna design with user-impact investigation for 4G and 5G mobile terminals," Sensors, Vol. 19, 456, 2019. doi:10.3390/s19030456
23. Hussain, R., A. T. Alreshaid, S. K. Podilchak, and M. S. Sharawi, "Compact 4G MIMO antenna integrated with a 5G array for current and future mobile handsets," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 11, 271-279, 2017. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2016.0738
24. Chen, Q., H. Lin, J. Wang, L. Ge, Y. Li, and T. Pei, "Single ring slot-based antennas for metal-rimmed 4G/5G smartphones," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 67, 1476-1487, 2018.
25. Abdulkawi, W. M., W. A. Malik, S. U. Rehman, A. Aziz, A. F. A. Sheta, and M. A. Alkanhal, "Design of a compact dual-band MIMO antenna system with high-diversity gain performance in both frequency bands," Micromachines, Vol. 12, No. 4, 383, 2021. doi:10.3390/mi12040383